Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 PM

11 posts, read 49,233 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was wondering how welcoming Simsbury (and the surrounding areas) would be to an interracial couple. My husband and I are tentatively researching the area and it seemed great. Then I looked up the demographics and noticed it is not very diverse. If you live in the area and are a person of color do you feel welcome in the community? Do your children?

We currently enjoy living in a very diverse area where multiple languages are spoken and we can attend a variety of multicultural events. I don't want to have to give this up if we move. Also, I was wondering would we have difficulty finding acceptance or problems with buying a home because of our family's makeup. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
I'm assuming it's probably 95% white, 5% APAC. Some on here consider that "diverse".

Old 08-27-2015, 04:22 AM

174 posts, read 172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I'm assuming it's probably 95% white, 5% APAC. Some on here consider that "diverse".
That is not diverse. IMO any town greater than 75% of a single race, ethnicity or even socioeconomic status is not racially, ethnically or socioeconomcally diverse.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:51 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
You will not have to worry about being accepted in Simsbury.

While I don't live there, I lived next door in Avon for 5 1/2 years and found that people of all races were accepted pretty readily. Those towns have a heavy concentration of people from United Technologies and UTC is known for relocating their employees all over the world, and then rotating them back to Connecticut, so people are used to new folks moving in and out all the time and people of all religions and races are accepted.

And, while the town itself is less diverse overall, you'll find the school systems are more diverse. Simsbury High School is about 5% African American and 5% Hispanic and 4% Asian, and 86% white. The town itself is 95% white, 2% Asian, and 1% African American and 1% Hispanic. Neither is diverse, but the schools indicate the town is becoming more diverse over time.

If you want a town with more diversity and excellent schools, West Hartford is very close to Simsbury. Towns in Connecticut tend to be small in terms of square miles, so going from West Hartford to Simsbury can be a 10 to 30 minute commute, depending on where you live and where you work in both towns.

That said, somebody else might need to tell you more about ethnic activities in the area - Simsbury is great for town-wide activities like music and theater, but I have no idea if they have ethnic specific activities. I suspect that those sorts of things may be regional (Farmington Valley area) instead of specific to one town.

Last edited by NewJeffCT; 08-27-2015 at 06:07 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Simsbury becoming hot list for towns now ?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedSage58 View Post
That is not diverse. IMO any town greater than 75% of a single race, ethnicity or even socioeconomic status is not racially, ethnically or socioeconomcally diverse.
Here you go Ned.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,913 times
Simsbury is about 95% white, but I can't imagine you'd face any rudeness or stand-offishness by being an interracial couple. If your preference is for a more diverse town, I'd look elsewhere. Depending on what your budget is, Wethersfield, Newington and West Hartford are all worth a look. All of these towns share a border with Hartford, and they all boast very good schools and some of the characteristics of inner suburbs (more multiethnic families, more walkable, densely populated neighborhoods, older housing stock, etc.)

Old 08-27-2015, 08:50 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Simsbury's population has less than 5% black/mixed race residents so I agree it is not very diverse. Still I think that you will find it to be a very accepting community and should you decide to live there you will not have too much of an issue with race. Jay

Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 AM

174 posts, read 172,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Here you go Ned.

I'm not quite sure what that's for.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:16 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
Simsbury is not where you want to raise your family. You will not encounter racism, per se, but your child could very well be the only non-white child in his class, year after year. You should look at West Hartford, which is fairly diverse, but has good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut