Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times

Advertisements

There are so many places to car shop, im curious on opinions. What are the best car dealers when looking for a pre owned vehicle. Im in the manchester/hartford area. Looking for a small SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM

470 posts, read 1,665,679 times
Used vehicles are tough. A new car dealer will want much more than the car is worth in most cases and the smaller mom-and-pop shops are a bargain. A lot of them can be filled with shady techniques and crap that has fresh paint to look new. I'd honesty try craigslist and only deal with the orginal owners of vehicles. Always try to look for something with a complete record history.

Other than that, If you are looking to drive a variety of types of vehicles, go to Carmax in Hartford, drive everything you want to test. Once you find one you like, look online and at smaller shops to see if you can find one for quite a bit less money.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Research online which car(s) you want first, then it is easier to narrow the field from there.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM

588 posts, read 1,872,833 times
I'd look at certified pre-owned... you may pay more up-front, but they are usually pretty well tested and the cost premium may pay for itself in the long run over potentially costly repairs.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:39 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
I'd look at certified pre-owned... you may pay more up-front, but they are usually pretty well tested and the cost premium may pay for itself in the long run over potentially costly repairs.
Agree.

Find the car you like, then try to find a certified used example you like.

For instance, if you get set on a Toyota RAV4, search on all the Toyota dealerships in an X mile radius online until you find the right model and go to that dealer prepared. Make sure it says it's certified on the site, as it's not guaranteed just because it's a name brand dealership.

Sometimes a dealership will advertise a certified pre-owned car on the site and then when you get there try to charge extra on top of the Internet price for the certification. Never fall for that. That's when you say you want it certified for the price you saw it online or you walk.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Stay FAR away from CarMax.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM

427 posts, read 1,388,074 times
I like Richard Chevrolet in Cheshire, I've bought both of my cars from them, as have my parents. You might want to look at a test vehicle, or one that they use for rental when a car is in for repairs, they can be a really good deal.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
I like Richard Chevrolet in Cheshire, I've bought both of my cars from them, as have my parents. You might want to look at a test vehicle, or one that they use for rental when a car is in for repairs, they can be a really good deal.
I agree that you can get good deals on former rentals but I'm not so sure I'd want to buy one. People tend to care less for things they don't own (or aren't making payments on).

Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
First choose a car and what year you want. Then do a search online with 100 miles. I found dealers out of state are more willing to deal than here in Connecticut. I bought two cars in New York and almost bought another in Rhode Island. Don't be afraid to negoiate and don't let the dealer play those silly games with you. It is your money and they want it. Make them work for it. And don't be afraid to walk away from a deal if they aren't willing to meet your price. For good information check carbuyingtips.com. Jay

Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 PM

242 posts, read 299,316 times
Don't know if affordable or desirable- I think it potentially could be at least the same price to buy new as cpo, and depending on particulars, it might even be cheaper to buy new than a couple of years old. I just occassionally look at used prices in the Ct post - they seem like new prices to me. I like looking at cars direct as a place to just get a starting price. Edmunds prices paid forums is a good model specific source to see what others are paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut