Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Steven 1"1. Lawyers do not find work upon graduation, can leave law school 250k in debt, and the field has become less lucrative, simply put the law field has dried up."

My niece, an employed lawyer often in the news in her state, must have not gotten the memo.
Applications to law schools nationally have cratered due to high levels of unemployment and underemployment for recent graduates.

So congratulations to your niece for bucking that trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Applications to law schools nationally have cratered due to high levels of unemployment and underemployment for recent graduates.

So congratulations to your niece for bucking that trend.
It was a bubble for many years. Graduates from the top law schools will always get jobs, as will those who graduate at the top of their class at the lower tier schools. But there has been a proliferation of low end law schools that saturate the market with graduates who had no business going to law school in the first place. These grads end up with tons of debt and dim prospects for employment.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:11 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Yes and that's generally what I was talking about, obviously if you go to Harvard, Princeton, or Yale, then sure you have a better shot at becoming a lawyer.

The point I was trying to make was that today young folks have less opportunity then what most of us older folks had and believe it or not college is no longer the guarantee to the white collar lifestyle.

There are people who go and don't do well, people leave in debt, people enter college with aspirations that in the real world may no longer exist for them upon graduation. This is a reality that our world has changed.

I try to tell younger folks that if they want to be successful then go to school and learn something, wether lawyer, executive chef, or master plumber, they all require education and training in one form or another, do something that brings a good salary and joy into your life.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
My niece and all of her University of Florida friends found industry jobs, fully utilizing their skills, paying handsomely.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:44 PM

Well I know UF first hand and it pays to be a Gator. Shands was one of the best hospitals for teaching and who doesn't love Tebow.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:47 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Keep in mind, it is not only going to school. It is what you do with that schooling afterward. People need to realize that you are not going to walk out of a college or trade school and have a line of potential employers waiting to offer you a job. You have to pay your dues be it working as an intern or apprentice, moving somewhere for your first job or taking a low paying position for a couple of years while you learn the profession. Too many people come out of school and do nothing in their chosen field and them complain about it. Sorry but this is just the way it works. Jay

Old 01-13-2015, 07:20 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
I went to a state school, after 15 years of previous private school. I actually didn't finish school, because I accepted my first full time job. At the time, I was only making mid 30s. However, I worked my way up, up, and up and--still without my college degree (I only need 3 more classes, silly I know! Eventually...) have landed a role that is highly coveted within HealthCare IT. I DID have to get certifications and training within that and learn a lot (so basically more schooling), but I make well over 6 figures a year, with great benefits (health insurance, pre and post tax employee retirement contributions, 40 days off a year, etc). To be fair, I've been working full time since I was 21 (I started as a financial assistant while still in college.)

I know I'm the exception, but I'm also proof if you work hard and are smart (at least at what you do,) you CAN make it without a degree.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I went to a state school, after 15 years of previous private school. I actually didn't finish school, because I accepted my first full time job. At the time, I was only making mid 30s. However, I worked my way up, up, and up and--still without my college degree (I only need 3 more classes, silly I know! Eventually...) have landed a role that is highly coveted within HealthCare IT. I DID have to get certifications and training within that and learn a lot (so basically more schooling), but I make well over 6 figures a year, with great benefits (health insurance, pre and post tax employee retirement contributions, 40 days off a year, etc). To be fair, I've been working full time since I was 21 (I started as a financial assistant while still in college.)

I know I'm the exception, but I'm also proof if you work hard and are smart (at least at what you do,) you CAN make it without a degree.
I started at 9.60 an hour and now I make 24.50 an hour. I did go to school as I had mentioned earlier for the mechanics and refrigeration stuff and a lot of these type fields I'm in are looking for industry certifications and experience. The school got me into the field as an apprentice technician but I've learned more working as a technician then I ever did in the schools.

I do feel however that without that opportunity for school the door may not have ever opened for me so in that aspect I guess it helped a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut