Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
What a truly disgusting story. the state wants to have the hospital dump in toxins into an already acidic body. It is very clear that neither the girl or the mother want any more poison. And that 80% survival rate is for six months. After 5 years it is about 6%. Geez. Connecticut must be a real fun totalitarian place to live. What's next...chemo for the common cold?
This is misstated. 85% who undergo chemo with hodgkin lymphoma will survive a minimum of five years.

To not take the chemotherapy is akin to suicide.

And there is no slippery slope to chemo for the common cold. Chemo is for cancer. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Shame on the Supreme Court for this one. When did government get so big that it gets to make decisions like this for us. Are they seriously going to forcibly restrain her/drag her in kicking and screaming, and then tie her down so that she can be administered her "treatment?" I do not want to see the video footage of that, Thank You.

And isn't this absolutely contrary to the precedent bestowed by "government" in the past upon 13 year olds who find themselves pregnant and wanting to end another's life? Those girls are allowed to decide what they want to do (with or without parental consent), simply because they happened to be born with a uterus -- it's THEIR body, THEIR right, THEIR privilege and THEIR DECISION in that instance. (Never mind the fact that 11 years earlier she couldn't walk or talk; or that 8 years earlier she was still pissing her bed; and 7 years earlier she couldn't tie her own damn shoelaces; and 4 years ago she was still having big happy birthday parties in her backyard with ponies, piñatas, and rainbows!)

But not so in the instant case? This 17 year old is not allowed to decide? She doesn't own her body any more because she has cancer, and therefore her rights have been forfeited?

This is a big fat fail and a HUGE government overreach. It was entirely the decision of the 17 year old and her mother. Not the government's.

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-08-2015 at 09:55 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post

Are they seriously going to forcibly restrain her/drag her in kicking and screaming, and then tie her down so that she can be administered her "treatment?"
Actually, yes. Read the article that Jay linked.

"Fortin said that doctors had "to strap her down on the bed" to do the preparatory surgery before resuming the regimen of chemotherapy."

I could just vomit.

By the way, I agree with you 1000% -- it's disgusting what the state is doing, what THEY can decide on.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
That's really sickening ...

Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
I am pretty sure if I lived in CT, I would move far far away, and never look back. They have to be able to fight this somehow. I would run away and go into hiding until I was 18. She has to be able to escape somehow.

Any Dr. participating in this should be publicly named and have their licenses revoked for violating their "Do not Harm" oath. Any nurse assisting the Dr.'s with this should be ashamed and sickened with themselves. Hopefully they suffer the karmic consequences of what they did to this girl for the rest of their lives. Shame on them for "following orders".

Old 01-09-2015, 05:00 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
The decision is her mother's, and shame on her mother. That's all I have to say.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:45 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
I think she's too young to make that decision. There has to be an age that is considered adult, and that age is 18. If the court ruled her to be an adult at 17 it would open the door to other cases with age in question.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 AM

872 posts, read 1,714,578 times
I'll repeat myself yet again for those who don't get it. The 80% survival rate for those taking chemotherapy is six months into treatment and a 5%-10% survival rate is five years after treatment. Next time you see one of those commercials for a cancer center hit pause and read the small print at the bottom of the screen. Pouring acids into an already acidic body is a horrible idea no matter how you look at it.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Most cancers require more treatment than prayers and herbs. I know numerous people who are grateful that chemo saved their life. Adolescents aren't mature enough to make that decision.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I'll repeat myself yet again for those who don't get it. The 80% survival rate for those taking chemotherapy is six months into treatment and a 5%-10% survival rate is five years after treatment. Next time you see one of those commercials for a cancer center hit pause and read the small print at the bottom of the screen. Pouring acids into an already acidic body is a horrible idea no matter how you look at it.
According to this research published last week, 91% will live at least a year after diagnosis and 85% will live at least 5 years, with 90% of young people living at least 5 years.

80% of people diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphona will live at least 10 years.

Statistics and outlook for Hodgkin lymphoma | Cancer Research UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut