Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 PM

287 posts, read 623,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

“From the Village Improvement Society point of view, let’s see … We have a lot of members up in the Hemlock Hill area, so that would be included, and Sturges Road to Black Rock Turnpike, and north to Haydu Farm on Congress. And in lower Greenfield Hill, the church and windmill to Hulls Farm Road,” says Deedee Brandt, who lives on Hulls Farm Road.

It was the Greenfield Hill Village Improvement Society that helped preserve the rural character of Greenfield Hill by promoting the 2 acre zoning back in 1951 that stretches from the Westport town line on the west to Black Rock Turnpike on the east. They also fought a number of projects that were proposed over the years including a proposed state veterans hospital on west side of Redding Road (outside of Mr. Pugliese), a Merritt Parkway interchange at Redding Road and the proposed corporate headquarters for Mobil Chemical on Black Rock Turnpike on what is now the site of the Greenfield Hunt condo project. They had also fought Greenfield Hunt and were successful in stopping it from connecting directly to roads off of Burr Street. I would think that if they did not consider that portion of town to be part of Greenfield Hill, they would not have been so actively opposed to it. So again I stand by my claim that Greenfield Hill is much larger than the areas you originally indicated. Jay
The Patterson is definitely Greenfield Hill. I wouldn't trust anyone that mistakes Sturges Road for Sturges Highway. Also, I don't blame them for fighting things like Greenfield Hunt even though it's a different neighborhood - you still have to drive through Black Rock Turnpike to get to Greenfield Hill.

Anyways, even if Galloping Hill etc is in "Greenfield Hill," it still doesn't have the same prestige as living on, say, Old Academy, Hillside, or Bronson (etc) Roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
The Patterson is definitely Greenfield Hill. I wouldn't trust anyone that mistakes Sturges Road for Sturges Highway. Also, I don't blame them for fighting things like Greenfield Hunt even though it's a different neighborhood - you still have to drive through Black Rock Turnpike to get to Greenfield Hill.

Anyways, even if Galloping Hill etc is in "Greenfield Hill," it still doesn't have the same prestige as living on, say, Old Academy, Hillside, or Bronson (etc) Roads.
Yes, I was disappointed when the town approved Greenfield Hunt. I thought it was a mistake. Not a big fan of it. I thought they would have been better off if they did just go office with the site. At least it would have generated taxes without a large burden on the town.

I do remember once hearing the Galloping Hill area called Greenfield knoll but I think that may have been the subdivision name when the road was built. I don't think I have heard it since. I agree it is not the same as other parts of Greenfield Hill so I can't argue to call it part of it. It is only zoned for 1 acre I believe. Jay

Old 01-30-2015, 04:53 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
A nice quote from the wonderful movie, A Few Good Men, seems to be an appropriate way to end this discussion on my part:

"I strenuously object?" Is that how it works? Hm? "Objection." "Overruled." "Oh, no, no, no. No, I STRENUOUSLY object." "Oh. Well, if you strenuously object then I should take some time to reconsider."

or you could have used the most famous line from that film

Old 01-30-2015, 05:36 PM

519 posts, read 582,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
or you could have used the most famous line from that film
Funny but "the truth" is so ephemeral: much like the boundaries of Greenfield Hill apparently.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 482 times
Greenfield Hill is not EAST of Burr below Congress Street. Simply put, Greenfield Hill is AAA zoned (although there might be a few non-conforming lots) or two acres minimum. Galloping Hill, Joan, etc., are AA zoned and one acre +/-. Many agents are claiming that Galloping Hill, Joan, etc., are "lower Greenfield Hill." That is a fabrication. There's an accurate map and article posted in a major metro newspaper that illustrates the boundaries. It was published in about 1998(?) and I believe the title is "So, You're Thinking of Living in Greenfield Hill?" I often wonder how the buyers feel after being mis-lead into thinking they're buying into Greenfield Hill, only to find they paid a premium to live in "other"?

Old 05-06-2017, 06:30 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Get in contact with the planning and zoning department or the assessors office for the town of Fairfield. They should have a map that shows the different areas of town. I live in Trumbull and we have a map like that so I would think Fairfield should too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut