Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:48 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have a friend who looked into moving to West Palm Beach several years ago and was shocked to find that the prices of comparable homes there was no cheaper than his home in Wethersfield. The killer was the place made him an offer for less than what he was making here in Connecticut so he passed. The OP really needs to crunch the numbers and be sure to account for occasional trips home to visit the family as well as the cost of living differences. Jay
Palm Beach County is the gold coast of Florida….ain't cheap there. The rest of FL is MUCH cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM

227 posts, read 283,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatm26 View Post
Wow, I truly appreciate all of the wonderful comments and advice! I did check out the COL comparison and was able to determine what type of salary we would need in order to maintain a desirable lifestyle in that area vs. what we have now. We would have to give up a pretty nice amount of square footage, but I was mentally preparing myself for the sacrifice.

I honestly do not think that there is any way to truly prepare yourself for the culture shock that will accompany a move to the northeast, especially in CT. It's more than the weather- it's that unique New England personality that makes all the difference, for better or worse.

I no longer live in Connecticut for a plethora of reasons, but I do know that no salary would bring me back. If you are going to make a move north from Florida, at least surround yourself with some of the true beauties and culture of New England a bit further north or by some of the more interesting cities such as Boston or Providence. There's a lot to miss out on in the drive-through state that is 1/3 a suburb of New York. My grandfather commuted to New York City from Milford- and it has only spread.

Anyway, I grew up in Connecticut and have spent a good deal of time in Florida (and I don't mean just tourist spots). If you ever made the move, you would need to be prepared for a much faster and denser lifestyle. Be prepared for everyone to question why you would ever come here (49% of the state wants to/wishes they could move to another state). Politics is a complete disaster- everyone hates the governor but would never vote in an alternative. Segregation (racial and financial) is rampant and it's very obvious if one pays attention; there is much more mixed diversity in Florida, especially southern FL. Taxes are higher. Roads are much worse, full of potholes. Everything is about the bad weather. People always talk about how close we are to NYC/Boston/Providence but most don't actually visit those places. The beaches are a joke, or private. Customer service is much worse.

Your dollar is worth less- savings you have will not go as far here. Property taxes are higher and real estate is more expensive. Don't forget income tax! As others have said, you aren't going to get as much in the way of a decent apartment for $1200 in the way that you would in Florida. $1200 is a nice one-bedroom, maybe two if you're lucky- and that's not even including heat & hot water. That will be the biggest transition- space. Especially with pets, it's going to make a difference.

I must say though, most of the schools (by far) beat out Florida with a few exceptions- but that isn't important for everyone. You can find equally good or better schools in surrounding states, however given that your reason to move is primarily career-related, that isn't really something to consider.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to compare the cost of living to salaries earned. It's shocking and devastating- and that's coming from someone living in Mass. Our amenities work out better overall.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:07 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I've spent several weeks in Fla, as well as the Bahamas in the height of summer, and while the heat and humidity are not fun, it IS better that the cold temps here, not to mention there are a lot more hours of daylight down there in the winter.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people (75% i would say) would rather spend July and Aug in Florida dealing with high temps and humidity, than Jan and Feb up here dealing with bonchilling cold and snow.

I mean, just look at any travel magazine in the height of winter, and you see a ton of ads for trip to the south to escape the cold. On the other hand, in July, you almost NEVER see the same ads for trip to the arctic circle to escape the heat.

As for the COL, the average price of homes in Fla is STILL a smaller multiple of the average salary than it is here. Traffic goes without saying.......

I'm not making Fla out to be this utopia of paradise. I'm just saying its the lesser of 2 evils.
Oh my! Several Weeks?

I'm a Connecticut Native and I've been living here in Clearwater, FL for almost 5 years now. I can tell you for certain that closer to 10 months out of the year I do NOT enjoy the weather outside here. Just yesterday it was 82F... in FEB!

I found a new job paying double what I make here and am moving to Oxford, CT in T minus 25 Days! The 4-5 months of winter is worth it to me.

I'd much MUCH rather deal with average temps between 45 - 75F (granted the winter goes into the negatives) as opposed to 75-98F. At least with the cold weather I could just put on more clothing!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
I honestly do not think that there is any way to truly prepare yourself for the culture shock that will accompany a move to the northeast, especially in CT. It's more than the weather- it's that unique New England personality that makes all the difference, for better or worse.

I no longer live in Connecticut for a plethora of reasons, but I do know that no salary would bring me back. If you are going to make a move north from Florida, at least surround yourself with some of the true beauties and culture of New England a bit further north or by some of the more interesting cities such as Boston or Providence. There's a lot to miss out on in the drive-through state that is 1/3 a suburb of New York. My grandfather commuted to New York City from Milford- and it has only spread.

Anyway, I grew up in Connecticut and have spent a good deal of time in Florida (and I don't mean just tourist spots). If you ever made the move, you would need to be prepared for a much faster and denser lifestyle. Be prepared for everyone to question why you would ever come here (49% of the state wants to/wishes they could move to another state). Politics is a complete disaster- everyone hates the governor but would never vote in an alternative. Segregation (racial and financial) is rampant and it's very obvious if one pays attention; there is much more mixed diversity in Florida, especially southern FL. Taxes are higher. Roads are much worse, full of potholes. Everything is about the bad weather. People always talk about how close we are to NYC/Boston/Providence but most don't actually visit those places. The beaches are a joke, or private. Customer service is much worse.

Your dollar is worth less- savings you have will not go as far here. Property taxes are higher and real estate is more expensive. Don't forget income tax! As others have said, you aren't going to get as much in the way of a decent apartment for $1200 in the way that you would in Florida. $1200 is a nice one-bedroom, maybe two if you're lucky- and that's not even including heat & hot water. That will be the biggest transition- space. Especially with pets, it's going to make a difference.

I must say though, most of the schools (by far) beat out Florida with a few exceptions- but that isn't important for everyone. You can find equally good or better schools in surrounding states, however given that your reason to move is primarily career-related, that isn't really something to consider.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to compare the cost of living to salaries earned. It's shocking and devastating- and that's coming from someone living in Mass. Our amenities work out better overall.
You are complaining about the roads, taxes and politics here in Connecticut and you telling them to move to Rhode Island??? Is this a joke? Rhode Island has worse roads and more political problems than Connecticut ever had plus taxes are not much less. Providence is not more interesting (in fact a lot less IMHO) than New Haven or even Hartford for that matter. And your complaints about the cost-of-living would rule out anything in or near Boston which is more comparable to New York City prices let alone Stamford. And by the way, taxes are not that much lower in Massachusetts and if you have driven on any of their roads recently you would see they have gone WAY down hill in recent years. I would say they are in worse condition than Connecticut.

Also your comments on segregation is just wrong. Do you know even know what real segregation is? Where is there any racial segregation in Connecticut? Even the more affluent communities here offer a range of housing options. Did you even know that even super-wealthy Greenwich has public housing for low income residents?

We get that for whatever personal reason you do not like Connecticut but at least try and be a bit objective and based in reality in your recommendations. Jay

Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,782 times
Luckily I am an accountant by profession, so number crunching is my greatest strength. They were offering him about 30% less than what it would take to afford a modest living up there. The numbers just didn't work out. Maybe the position would actually be filled for a reasonable amount of time if they offered decent compensation, but that's another topic.

Husband is adamant about getting out of Florida (you never know how good you have it until you leave, right?) so we will still end up somewhere up north, just in an area with a more manageable COL for us. I lived in Buffalo, NY when I was younger, so I have done the snow thing before. I really do appreciate all of your input on the Stratford area. It definitely has been added to my bucket list of areas to visit!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:21 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Luckily I am an accountant by profession, so number crunching is my greatest strength. They were offering him about 30% less than what it would take to afford a modest living up there. The numbers just didn't work out. Maybe the position would actually be filled for a reasonable amount of time if they offered decent compensation, but that's another topic.

Husband is adamant about getting out of Florida (you never know how good you have it until you leave, right?) so we will still end up somewhere up north, just in an area with a more manageable COL for us. I lived in Buffalo, NY when I was younger, so I have done the snow thing before. I really do appreciate all of your input on the Stratford area. It definitely has been added to my bucket list of areas to visit!
Then I would guess that the company was trying to offer him the same salary or a modest increase at best. While the Stratford area is pricier I would suggest looking into other parts of the state. The New Haven or Hartford areas are more affordable and have some very nice areas to live in. Good luck to you both. Jay

Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM

227 posts, read 283,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are complaining about the roads, taxes and politics here in Connecticut and you telling them to move to Rhode Island??? Is this a joke? Rhode Island has worse roads and more political problems than Connecticut ever had plus taxes are not much less. Providence is not more interesting (in fact a lot less IMHO) than New Haven or even Hartford for that matter. And your complaints about the cost-of-living would rule out anything in or near Boston which is more comparable to New York City prices let alone Stamford. And by the way, taxes are not that much lower in Massachusetts and if you have driven on any of their roads recently you would see they have gone WAY down hill in recent years. I would say they are in worse condition than Connecticut.

Also your comments on segregation is just wrong. Do you know even know what real segregation is? Where is there any racial segregation in Connecticut? Even the more affluent communities here offer a range of housing options. Did you even know that even super-wealthy Greenwich has public housing for low income residents?

We get that for whatever personal reason you do not like Connecticut but at least try and be a bit objective and based in reality in your recommendations. Jay

Rhode Island has the beauty of the Bay and Providence has less crime than the major CT cities such as New Haven or Hartford. I feel so much safer as a young woman alone in Providence than I have in Hartford or New Haven. I've also worked for their government, right in the state house- it's an acquired taste, that's for sure. That's the case for much of RI. Also, I'd never buy a house in RI because it's just too crazy and unpredictable. I will give it to you on their taxes and politics not being fabulous there. I didn't mean to say anyone should move to RI anyway. Better off going over the border to Mass. if possible.

RI and CT are both a mess fiscally and politically, but RI is much more beautiful and interesting if you have any appreciation for art and nature. It also has the RIPTA; less dependency on cars. Moot point however, neither states are fabulous places to move to, at least not long-term. Not bad for college or something like that.

Regarding Mass... I really don't understand what you're talking about. My tax bill has gone down since moving; and my income has risen, rent costs remained the same. I also get to live closer to and in amazing, lively, historical, walk-able cities. I drive to my parents/in-laws in CT every month, and I assure you the roads are MUCH better in most of Mass. I guess i-84 isn't terrible.

For segregation, I meant city by city- particularly with schools. Look at maps of how our races are split. I read a couple of years ago that we were more segregated by town/city than all but MI and AL... I'll find that article another time.

Here's some lists for you to ponder:

Roads:
Report: Connecticut roads among worst in the country - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Taxes (CT #4, MA not in top 10, NY #1):
What U.S. states have the highest and lowest taxes? - CBS News
Tax Foundation and other sources support this...
Also Malloy with the highest tax in CT history: Malloy faces a tax problem | Yale Daily News
Malloy getting an "F" grade for econ. policies: http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...df/GRC2012.pdf

Satisfaction of residents:
Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

Gas prices:
USA and Canada Current Average Gas Prices By City/State/Province - GasBuddy.com
States With the Highest Gas Prices - 24/7 Wall St.

Extremely high cost of living:
Best and Worst States to Make a Living 2014: Full 50-state list

Texas has better schools, Mass. schools are some of the best:
Top 15 states for education | Deseret News National

Fairfield County is the most segregated in the nation:
Top 10 most economically segregated markets in U.S. - Connecticut Post

Top 20 for most-segregated schools:
Still apart: Map shows states with most-segregated schools

45/50 ranked on state debt:
Total State Debt: ranked from lowest debtor state (#1) to highest debtor state (#50) : The States Project

Highest top 1% income growth- aka income inequality:
The Increasingly Unequal States of America: Income Inequality by State, 1917 to 2011 | Economic Policy Institute

One of the highest unfunded pensions:
http://ccea.uconn.edu/studies/Connec..._2013april.pdf

Terrible to retire:
John Brady, owner of www.topretirements.com, who ranked Connecticut as the worst state in which to retire in his 2012 listing. - Hartford Courant
https://smartasset.com/retirement/7-...for-retirement

One of top 10 worst to live in (yes, I know RI- I wouldn't go back, as I said!):
10 Worst US States To Live In - TheRichest

Top 5 worst places to do business (#5):
5 worst states for business in the US

Top 10 worst places to make a living (#5):
Worst States to Make a Living from MoneyRates.com

Point is- a move from Florida to Connecticut is hardly worth it. It's less secure long-term and your money won't go as far. Even the argument of better schools is moot because of Mass, which isn't making most of these terrible lists. For the OP, the decision hasn't been made yet. I'm giving reasons against it. Most people on a CT board will give reasons in favor, largely biased. I'm not here to bash people who already live here, it's just worth considering if you're new.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:11 PM

642 posts, read 859,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Oh my! Several Weeks?

I'm a Connecticut Native and I've been living here in Clearwater, FL for almost 5 years now. I can tell you for certain that closer to 10 months out of the year I do NOT enjoy the weather outside here. Just yesterday it was 82F... in FEB!

I found a new job paying double what I make here and am moving to Oxford, CT in T minus 25 Days! The 4-5 months of winter is worth it to me.

I'd much MUCH rather deal with average temps between 45 - 75F (granted the winter goes into the negatives) as opposed to 75-98F. At least with the cold weather I could just put on more clothing!
Thanks for this post wolf39us. I am in my "I can't take the cold anymore...let's move down south" period of living in CT which lasts from about Jan 1st to the end of Feb. I need to be reminded the weather will start getting better fairly soon and the good of CT outweighs the bad.

I have to say this seems like the worst winter in CT I can remember and I am in my 50's.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
Thanks for this post wolf39us. I am in my "I can't take the cold anymore...let's move down south" period of living in CT which lasts from about Jan 1st to the end of Feb. I need to be reminded the weather will start getting better fairly soon and the good of CT outweighs the bad.

I have to say this seems like the worst winter in CT I can remember and I am in my 50's.
The last 4 of 5 winters are the worst i have ever seen. I vaguely remember 78.
So much for global warming.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:

Take a look at glassdoor.com for salaries like I said before. A company won't survive for long if they are not paying salary commensurate with the COL of the area unless you're talking about low level low wage type jobs.

One good thing about glassdoor is if the company has multiple locations (Citigroup for example), you can research salaries by office location. I would expect salaries in Jacksonville to be lower than NYC and glassdoor will probably support that.

I think CT has near the perfect climate compared to other places I've visited. I just wish winter could be shorter, but at least its sunny during winter.

I also like the climate of Delaware shore and/or Maryland eastern shore, but even though its about 250 miles from Hartford, its more humid in the summer, which I could do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut