Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 07:35 AM

26 posts, read 31,670 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my family and I are considering relocating from Rhode Island to Connecticut within the next year or two. We really like Guilford and Madison - but I don't know if getting away from the immediate town centers it would get a little too rural and woodsy for me. Both seem like great family towns, though, and we will be visiting again. Meanwhile, Waterford looks like it has a lot going for it that would be advantages for us : Lots of shopping right in town, only about 45 minutes away (with 4 young kids, grandma being under an hour away is a big plus), beautiful (especially by RI standards) new schools, and many nice neighborhoods. My concern is that it seems like the town is very much JUST neighborhoods. Both in driving around the town and searching google maps, I couldn't find any local businesses really, or any type of Main Street - walkable or not. I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or if you have to cross over into Niantic or New London for that and if that affects the feeling of community in the town? Any information or opinions would be welcome, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:50 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
I love Waterford think it has the best beaches in the area besides Groton Bluff Point. With Waterford Hartford Turnpike is the main drag with the Commons and mall. However, you have awesome advantage of being next to Niantic, great town to walk with an awesome theater. Plus you have New London/Groton on your other side. It is definitely have a neighborhood feel, but it's woodsy quiet relaxing.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,434 times
Waterford is a nice town, but it is basically a lot of big box stores and Crystal Mall along Rte 85 and a lot of neighborhoods. I don't think there really is a town center.

If you're interested in schools and like Niantic's Main Street, then look at East Lyme/Niantic as well - better schools than Waterford and more activities going on there. (Niantic is a village in the town of East Lyme) You also have easy access to all the big box stores in Waterford.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:07 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
Waterford has no town center. There is lots of shopping though. The Crystal Mall area on CT Rt 85 & adjacent Cross Rd. area has mall & big box stores. The Stop & Shop Plaza area on RT 1 near the New London city line has some more shopping.

But as far as a Main St. and a walkable area with cute shops, there is none. There are lots of nice neighborhoods in varying price ranges. Waterford stretches from the shore to far inland so there is lots from which to choose.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback. That was pretty much the impression I had of the town; nice, quiet, and mostly residential. Which isn't a bad thing, I'd just like somewhere that has a sense of community - and having a town center seems to help with that, though I don't think it's always necessary.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:16 PM

31 posts, read 43,050 times
have you considered Mystic? Ignore the tourists, walk to library, market, drugstore, etc - just have to be aware of bridge opening in season!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 PM

We like Mystic a lot. We do go there fairly often to get some lunch (my kids love Mystic Pizza) and walk around a little, and have considered Mystic. It seems like it may be more difficult to find something that has a more neighborhood feel close to town (and not in the Groton part, since schools are a concern) - but it would certainly be a contender.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:26 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Could do the Stonington Borough can be a bit expensive not 100% sure close to RI.

Borough center green is nice with a historic twist. Reminds me of a tiny section of Charleston SC. Just there is a lot of mom and pop shop's.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:38 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,069 times
i love Niantic. it's possible i could be getting a job in New London soon and Niantic is where i'll be looking for places to live once i get out of my lease here in WField which i never liked (at least this area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut