Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,084 times

Advertisements

I typically don't like these 'drop a link and say 'discuss!'' sort of posts, but I was shocked at just how high the number was here.

Here's How Much You Have To Earn To Be In The 1 Percent In Each State

North Dakota is really enjoying that energy boom, though to be fair, 1% of ND is less than 8000 people.

(sorry if this has been posted already, I didn't see it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Just a little bit more and we'll be right on track to becoming Arkansas 1- percenters! Haha!!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I am not sure why you are shocked by this. Connecticut is one of the wealthiest states in the country. In addition to a lot of high income people, there are a lot of high wealth people and not just in Fairfield County. Jay

Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
I already made a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Anyway, yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm anxious to move out of this state (FFC to be exact). Treacherous income inequality and high real estate prices and income levels truly do block out opportunity for the average laborer like myself. I know because I'm experiencing it right now.

Last edited by nep321; 02-26-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 07:29 AM

227 posts, read 283,733 times
It's not shocking, just a bit unfortunate. Connecticut is an exclusive club.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I already made a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Anyway, yeah, that's one of the reasons I'm anxious to move out of this state. Treacherous income inequality and high real estate prices and income levels truly do block out opportunity for the average laborer like myself.
Not really. If you are stubborn than maybe, but this does not hold true everywhere.

My fiancee talked (briefly) about moving closer to her parents in Glastonbury when start our family (2-3 years away). While I rather not live in Glastonbury (taxes mostly) we found some extremely cute houses in Andover, Hebron, Colchester, East Hampton and Marlborough. We want to have a bit of land, be a little "country" and still in a good school district. Our favorite house was $240k with a little less than 3 acres. It needed work, but I already renovated one house so labor is a non-issue. I'll work all over the State so I'll have to sacrifice my commute which is normal (I used to commute from Plantsville to Stamford every day).

Putting a blanket statement like the bolded one above is not accurate. FFC is an outlier but the rest of the State seems to be inline with every other part of the Country.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Not really. If you are stubborn than maybe, but this does not hold true everywhere.

My fiancee talked (briefly) about moving closer to her parents in Glastonbury when start our family (2-3 years away). While I rather not live in Glastonbury (taxes mostly) we found some extremely cute houses in Andover, Hebron, Colchester, East Hampton and Marlborough. We want to have a bit of land, be a little "country" and still in a good school district. Our favorite house was $240k with a little less than 3 acres. It needed work, but I already renovated one house so labor is a non-issue. I'll work all over the State so I'll have to sacrifice my commute which is normal (I used to commute from Plantsville to Stamford every day).

Putting a blanket statement like the bolded one above is not accurate. FFC is an outlier but the rest of the State seems to be inline with every other part of the Country.
Sorry, I meant just FFC. The rest of the state is just fine.

Also, the new trend for millennials (like myself) is to move and settle in an affordable place. Gone are the days when young people are moving in droves to places like San Francisco, NYC and Boston. The new millennial cities are now places like Houston, Columbus, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Phoenix, Nashville, etc. The coasts are for old people now.

My younger 24 year old bro recently moved to Wisconsin and is very happy. He has a great, well paying job, lives with his fiancé, owns a nice house he bought for just $80K, has a 6-minute commute, no traffic, friendly people and is just loving life. They also just got a dog. I am very happy for them.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:58 AM

227 posts, read 283,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

I think the high real estate price complaint mainly applies to the "good schools" areas, which are important to most people starting a family, and therefore most active in finding a "good" house. People starting out also have less money most of the time

Of the towns you mentioned, I would definitely recommend Andover and Hebron over the others- both by rank and anecdotal personal experiences. None of the areas you mentioned are terrible, worst in the state, stay away, enter at your own risk- but if I had to put one on the bottom, it would probably be Colchester.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sorry, I meant just FFC. The rest of the state is just fine.

Also, the new trend for millennials (like myself) is to move and settle in an affordable place. Gone are the days when young people are moving in droves to places like San Francisco, NYC and Boston. The new millennial cities are now places like Houston, Columbus, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Phoenix, Nashville, etc. The coasts are for old people now.

My younger 24 year old bro recently moved to Wisconsin and is very happy. He has a great, well paying job, lives with his fiancé, owns a nice house he bought for just $80K, has a 6-minute commute, no traffic, friendly people and is just loving life. They also just got a dog. I am very happy for them.
Just like any other generation, millennials are going to move where they can find jobs. I do not see any shortage of young people moving to the cities you mention for work. If there are no jobs in Podunk South Dakota, then how will they live? Your brother is not the norm. He got lucky to find a good job in a low cost area but if that town had a lot of jobs and limited housing, the prices would shoot sky high. Just look at North Dakota. The energy industry there created a lot of jobs but housing is in short supply so now housing price are going through the roof. This is simple economics. Jay

Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
I think the high real estate price complaint mainly applies to the "good schools" areas, which are important to most people starting a family, and therefore most active in finding a "good" house. People starting out also have less money most of the time

Of the towns you mentioned, I would definitely recommend Andover and Hebron over the others- both by rank and anecdotal personal experiences. None of the areas you mentioned are terrible, worst in the state, stay away, enter at your own risk- but if I had to put one on the bottom, it would probably be Colchester.

Good luck with your decision!
Colchester is a beautiful small town, half way between Hartford and New London. It has a charming town green with some nice small shops and restaurants, is affordable and has decent schools. Sounds like a horrible place to live, doesn't it??? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut