Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

Tolls, taxes may fund Connecticut transportation overhaul | FOX CT

This is my original idea that I talked about before and I think it would be much more accurate than driving through a traditional toll booth. The "road usage" program would measure how many miles your vehicle drives within the state of CT, and then you get charged a tax/toll for the number of miles driven.

Hopefully this becomes a reality, as it is the best hope of getting our transportation system in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:29 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
I'm personally with tolls. I think its a great idea though most people are against it because it'll take more out of their pocket. I think more people will support it if it lowers some other form of tax like gas tax or car tax but that isn't an option the state wants to go in. They want to make as much money as possible because of the hole we jumped in. As for the road usage program, i think the state knows that most people drive a great lengths to work than most states. People live in the suburbs and work in Hartford and people live in Fairfield County and work in NY. So they know they'll get more money with this option. Honestly, the state needs to take more responsibility on their actions because they always blame it on something else. We give you enough money! But hey, maybe this will be useful because maybe more people will carpool or take mass transit? I can guarantee you, the tolls will come back. I just know it. I'm only for it because the infrastructure is falling apart and failing. We were named one of the worst state with the road conditions and with our massive deficit right now, we need to find a way to gain more revenue. I havent heard of any other way to pay to fix them but tolls. A majority of people who use our highways are out of state and dont pull up to full their tank because of how high the gas tax is.

The only bad thing i see is that whenever i go visit another state with tolls, they have a ez pass lane and a cash lane. Quite frankly you have to have an agreement with the other state to say that you can go after them if they dont pay. Otherwise probably 30% are even going to comply and dodge the tolls by clogging side streets.

Last edited by HumpDay; 04-28-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Never going to happen until cars running on alternate fuels are more popular than gasoline. I would also predict that if electricity is that alternate power, we will just be surcharged on our electric bills. That would be a much easier "tax" to implement and collect.

Trying to collect a tax based on a car's mileage driven is too easy to manipulate and too hard to enforce.

I'm more surprised by this part in the article quoted below;

"the Governor’s Transportation Finance Panel might examine changes in existing taxes, automatic traffic enforcement or so-called red light cameras"

So they are basically admitting that traffic tickets are another source of tax revenue? Someone didn't proofread this press release I think.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
We have more than sufficient revenue; we just continue to be repugnant at allocating. But sure, let's just keep bleeding our taxpayers until there is no more. #nomoredefinedbenefitplans (or at least require a much higher age for retirement). Between fiscal year 2009 and fiscal year 2013, Connecticut's total expenditures increased by approximately $8.8 billion, from $19.3 billion in 2009 to $28.1 billion in 2013. 46% in 4 years is mind-blowing and simply unsustainable. Our per capital contribution towards the state budget is over 2x that of Maine and New Hampshire. Nearly 35% of our state budget is simply paying retiree pensions, while on 14% goes to K-12 education!!!

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 04-28-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Tolls, taxes may fund Connecticut transportation overhaul | FOX CT

This is my original idea that I talked about before and I think it would be much more accurate than driving through a traditional toll booth. The "road usage" program would measure how many miles your vehicle drives within the state of CT, and then you get charged a tax/toll for the number of miles driven.

Hopefully this becomes a reality, as it is the best hope of getting our transportation system in order.
I agree that this is the way forward but it's hardly your 'original idea'!

Waiting until alternative fuels get more popular is not a good idea. Cars are getting more and more efficient and a fairer way is needed today to pay for roads by all users. It's only a matter of time before there is a disruption in car technology (e.g. led by Apple or Google) and we will see a massive increase in efficiency or some alternative power method that completely blows away all current thinking of gas usage per mile.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Hmm...didn't they say no new taxes? Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky....

Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
I'm more in favor of a government that is fiscally responsible. Even at the local level I see more waste.....what we need is a line by line look at where the dollar is spent......way too much waste if we had a good look. Tolls just put more of a burden on those who need to travel out of state for work, and may even cripple some border businesses.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Horrible idea for a "road usage per mile tax". It costs enough to drive as it is.

By the way, isn't a normal tolling system on the mass pike basically charging you per mile since the more exits you go the more it costs so I'm not sure what Malloy is talking about.

Gas finally drops a bit and now we are talking about charging people extra per mile driven on top of adding tolls.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Horrible idea for a "road usage per mile tax". It costs enough to drive as it is.

By the way, isn't a normal tolling system on the mass pike basically charging you per mile since the more exits you go the more it costs so I'm not sure what Malloy is talking about.

Gas finally drops a bit and now we are talking about charging people extra per mile driven on top of adding tolls.
I don't know about you but gas is on a rise more with me. I've been paying 50 cents more per gallon within the past few weeks. It really isn't all of CT's fault but why up the prices on everything. I've seen more and more money out of my pocket every year. It's not getting better. Doesn't the government know that we pay too much to live here? Probably not since they got raises. Why Malloy, why?

Yet he's treating this place like a utopia and dodging every negative question. Why not do what Gov. Christie does and have a question and answers session with the governor? I think Malloy done this before but he constantly responds with a litany of insufferable facts and cherry picking statistics. He has the same responses, "the reality is" and "we are making it more affordable for the middle class".Give me a break. We aren't that dumb. Anyone else relate?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:16 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Hmm...didn't they say no new taxes? Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky....
You actually believed them.

I'm for tolls because lately I've seen a million cars from New York, jersey, Pennsylvania and Vermont on our roads. plus, I work in highway construction and whatever is needed to keep the jobs rolling.

Totally against the road usage tax proposal. My jobs are based all over the state. One week I'm in southington the next in Ellington and the next in Groton. It's like getting a penalty for working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut