Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 PM

311 posts, read 1,824,455 times

Advertisements

I think west hartford will have what you need. the other towns mentioned here are nice, but I wouldn't say too many of them are walkable. Glastonbury has a centralized shopping area, but retail is scattered throughout the area so not as walkable as WH center. I was just down in Bethesda in November. Nice area and sadly nothing really like that around here. I had a great time down there.

JayCT - the movie theater in Bloomfield closed i think about a year ago (maybe 6 months??), but it is no longer there. Also, blue smoke the restaurant behind it is done as well. Seems like no restuarants seem to last in the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times
Actually as you described your situation, I'd say, go to Hartford. You have more diversity there. West Hartford will bore you on day 3 after the DC metro area. W.H. is very white as well. Not very diverse. Lot's of families. Do you want to meet other singles? W.H. has strollers galore. There is quite a snob factor there that you and your wife may be thrown off by after the D.C. area. Check out Hartford. It's a smaller city, but you will have the walkablility, and you're already aware of city issues, so nothing new in Hartford re: crime (but not like Md)

Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times
I'm a real estate agent in West Hartford and most people find their rentals through Craigslist. It's not common to use an agent for finding a rental here. If you do, they will use the Multiple Listing Service and the landlord will end up paying the fee. You should be able to find something on Craigslist easily though.

As far as rents, the most a lanlord can charge you is the first month, plus 2 months security deposit. It is common for them to ask for the first month and only 1 month as security deposit though. They should also be putting your security deposit into an interest bearing account and will owe you interest at the end of the year. The interest rate is 1.5% this year. Not everyone knows this and if you don't, don't expect your landlord to tell you this. Keep them honest!

Good luck with your search, you'll love the area!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 23,481 times
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. We saw 20 places in West Hartford on Saturday. Almost 1 every 30 minutes all day. And we ended up selecting one that we really like. The 2nd and 3rd floor of a two family home, right near Blue back square. Once all the formalities go through we'll be moving in next month. CT here we come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut