Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:31 AM

6 posts, read 6,505 times

Advertisements

Anyone work with CVS - woonsocket and drive from Vernon, CT? for car pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:32 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Woonsocket is over 60 miles from Vernon. There are no highways directly between these two locations. A daily commute would be about an hour and a half. That would be brutal. You will not find too many, if any, people willing to do that. As suggested in your other thread, there are better locations to consider so that your drive would be closer to an hour and your wife's under an hour. Jay

Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roopma View Post
You might want to try your co-workers from CVS. I doubt there are many from as far away as Vernon, if any. Maybe in Killlingly, Plainfield, Thompson, Putnam, etc. So, you could drive from Vernon to one of those towns on the border and then carpool from there?

Agree with Jay - there were better options in the other thread (Norwich, for one)

Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roopma View Post
No one does that commute. I don't think you'd find a single person driving from there to woonsocket. It makes absolutely no sense.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Guys, sometimes people are compelled to look at long commutes. This particular drive is not as bad as people are making it sound. I drive regularly (granted, not every day) from West Hartford (west of Vernon) to Smithfield, RI (further south of Woonsocket) and it's about 95 min. The only traffic I encounter on that route is in downtown Hartford itself, which the OP would not have to contend with.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,117 times
So true.

People here tend to have a highly skewed perception when it comes to distance.

The reality is that much of the country has lengthy commutes. 1.5 hours is certainly not unheard of. Hell, much of the country has to drive 30 minutes just for basic necessities.

The OP's commute really isnt that awful... I-84-->I-90-->Rt.146-->I-295 beltway around Providence would be pretty much free of congestion. The only potential issue would be the Mass Pike around Worcester, but if he's on the road early enough, it isn't terrible by any means. Lots of miles/wear and tear on the car..yes..but
rather do-able if the situation is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Guys, sometimes people are compelled to look at long commutes. This particular drive is not as bad as people are making it sound. I drive regularly (granted, not every day) from West Hartford (west of Vernon) to Smithfield, RI (further south of Woonsocket) and it's about 95 min. The only traffic I encounter on that route is in downtown Hartford itself, which the OP would not have to contend with.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
So true.

People here tend to have a highly skewed perception when it comes to distance.

The reality is that much of the country has lengthy commutes. 1.5 hours is certainly not unheard of. Hell, much of the country has to drive 30 minutes just for basic necessities.
Most of our population lives in or near cities. The era of the family farm is long gone.
And we wonder why we have pollution problems and what about the costs of maintaining those roads for someone who has to drive 30 miles to get milk? Seriously People sit on here talking about mass transit and the need for more efficient transportation and then you get a post like this. If anything your post is a condemnation of how ridiculous and inefficient some people choose to live.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

The OP's commute really isnt that awful...
Yes it is. It's 3+ hours a day sitting in a car not getting paid and putting wear and tear on your vehicle and wasting money on gas. And what happens when it snows? lol Good luck! Also, there's traffic along that route you listed. There's a routing backup on the mass pike to get on 84 in the afternoon commute heading back from woonsocket. And if there's an accident, forget it.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:02 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
If the OP already lived in Vernon and was considering taking a job in Woonsocket, that would be one thing. But based on another post made here, the OP is looking to move to a location between Woonsocket and Meriden (their spouses job location). If the OP's wife worked in Hartford, Vernon may make more sense but for a commute to Meriden, Vernon is not the best location for either of them. I still think they would be better off looking in the Colchester or Norwich area in order to minimize each commute as much as possible. Jay

Old 05-13-2015, 07:25 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If the OP already lived in Vernon and was considering taking a job in Woonsocket, that would be one thing. But based on another post made here, the OP is looking to move to a location between Woonsocket and Meriden (their spouses job location). If the OP's wife worked in Hartford, Vernon may make more sense but for a commute to Meriden, Vernon is not the best location for either of them. I still think they would be better off looking in the Colchester or Norwich area in order to minimize each commute as much as possible. Jay

If this is true, OP, why not see if the CVS will transfer you to another one, preferably one in Meriden or near it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut