Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:51 PM

503 posts, read 531,166 times

Advertisements

This scenario isn't shaping up too well for hubby. Did you know that long commutes are associated with reduced life satisfaction, physical and mental health problems, fewer social connections, increased chance of divorce, etc? I don't know how (or why) people in FFC do it. The sacrifice is too great.

Your commute is killing you

Want to be happier, change your commute

Ditching your commute is the equivalent of a $40,000 raise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,089,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
Are we crazy to think of him commuting from Ridgefield or Wilton to LGA?
I vote yes.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
My hubby will need to commute to LGA daily. I do not want to live close to the city. I'm used to big yard, country roads, no overcrowding, good housing prices, friendly people. Are we crazy to think of him commuting from Ridgefield or Wilton to LGA? I'm flying out Thursday to check out the NYC area, NJ, CT. In Wilton and Ridgefield what are the schools like? Academics? Sports? (LAX, CC, track, FB, BB)
If you're willing to consider a town in CT that's almost 50 miles (and a bridge crossing) from LGA, I strongly suggest you look at my area on LI. Commute time will probably be about the same.

Old Stony Brook (north of 25A) has a New England vibe, good schools, and out HS is a LAX powerhouse. There is CC, track, FB & BB.

We have a major university in town, and because of that, we have people relocate from across the country and the world to work there. You will run into people from the midwest. One of my dearest friends (originally from Ohio) relocated here from Seattle.

There's a home at 5 Rhododendron on 2 acres for $735K which will put you into my school district, but is located in an area which has winding country lanes. I nearly bought on that same road, a few houses down, right before the housing bubble burst. I was nervous about carrying three houses at the same time, so I backed out.

It is walking distance to a colonial type village, the yacht club and boat ramp which are on Stony Brook Harbor and give you easy access to the LI Sound.

Traveling west from my home Head of the Harbor, Nissequogue, some parts of Smithtown, Centerport, Northport, Huntington Bay (off the top of my head) all have larger properties and are more sylvan than other parts of Long Island.

If you head one town east of me (same school district) there is a great location for sale at 7 Woodcock Lane in Old Field. 3 acres, $800K, waterviews to the Old Field Lighthouse. It's not a tremendously huge house, but it is a wicked awesome spot.

Just putting this out there for you. Feel free to dm me if you want to know more about the area.

My apologies to the CT board members for hijacking this.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 AM

678 posts, read 848,039 times
You're totally welcome for your input. I was interested in your comment cause many people equate FFC to Long Island and Westchester. It's nice to hear perspective from the other side of the Sound.

I almost applied to Stony Brook University, but decided to go to UConn instead. Wonder what my life would have been otherwise!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 AM

642 posts, read 859,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you're willing to consider a town in CT that's almost 50 miles (and a bridge crossing) from LGA, I strongly suggest you look at my area on LI. Commute time will probably be about the same.

Old Stony Brook (north of 25A) has a New England vibe, good schools, and out HS is a LAX powerhouse. There is CC, track, FB & BB.

We have a major university in town, and because of that, we have people relocate from across the country and the world to work there. You will run into people from the midwest. One of my dearest friends (originally from Ohio) relocated here from Seattle.

There's a home at 5 Rhododendron on 2 acres for $735K which will put you into my school district, but is located in an area which has winding country lanes. I nearly bought on that same road, a few houses down, right before the housing bubble burst. I was nervous about carrying three houses at the same time, so I backed out.

It is walking distance to a colonial type village, the yacht club and boat ramp which are on Stony Brook Harbor and give you easy access to the LI Sound.

Traveling west from my home Head of the Harbor, Nissequogue, some parts of Smithtown, Centerport, Northport, Huntington Bay (off the top of my head) all have larger properties and are more sylvan than other parts of Long Island.

If you head one town east of me (same school district) there is a great location for sale at 7 Woodcock Lane in Old Field. 3 acres, $800K, waterviews to the Old Field Lighthouse. It's not a tremendously huge house, but it is a wicked awesome spot.

Just putting this out there for you. Feel free to dm me if you want to know more about the area.

My apologies to the CT board members for hijacking this.

I heard back from my friend and her husband did work at LaGuardia Airport. Bear in mind he worked there 5 years ago and the traffic has only gotten worse in CT.

**At 5:00 am from Parkway exit 48 (Trumbull) to LGA it took him 1 hour and 45 minutes and was pretty consistent at that time.

**At 7:00 am from Parkway exit 48 (Trumbull) to LGA it would take 2-1/4 to 3 hours and there was no way to know how long the ride would be from day to day at that hour.

That is why he ended up staying at his moms house in Westchester during the week.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 AM

21,779 posts, read 28,124,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post

I heard back from my friend and her husband did work at LaGuardia Airport. Bear in mind he worked there 5 years ago and the traffic has only gotten worse in CT.

**At 5:00 am from Parkway exit 48 (Trumbull) to LGA it took him 1 hour and 45 minutes and was pretty consistent at that time.

**At 7:00 am from Parkway exit 48 (Trumbull) to LGA it would take 2-1/4 to 3 hours and there was no way to know how long the ride would be from day to day at that hour.

That is why he ended up staying at his moms house in Westchester during the week.
Wilton is a very different commute though. You skip all that awful FFC traffic for the most part.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Wilton is a very different commute though. You skip all that awful FFC traffic for the most part.
It only takes about 15 minutes to get to the Norwalk/Wilton exit from Trumbull if you leave between 5:00 am or 7:00 am.

I just want to say one thing. Beware of people telling you that the commute would be drastically different from Wilton. It won't be drastically different, maybe about 15 minutes difference if you leave at 7:00 or before.

BTW, depending on where you live in Wilton, Route 7 and most roads that lead to the Parkway are worse than the Parkway.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:32 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,173,445 times
Quote:
It only takes about 15 minutes to get to the Norwalk/Wilton exit from Trumbull if you leave between 5:00 am or 7:00 am.

I just want to say one thing. Beware of people telling you that the commute would be drastically different from Wilton. It won't be drastically different, maybe about 15 minutes difference if you leave at 7:00 or before.

BTW, depending on where you live in Wilton, Route 7 and most roads that lead to the Parkway are worse than the Parkway.
Categorically false. Route 7 moves pretty well all the time. Can get a little slow in the single lane portion through ridge field/redding but never is bright red on the map. Route 7 from Norway to Danbury is smooth sailing relative to 95/15.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:36 PM

107 posts, read 120,530 times
Quote:

HOLY COW!! OK, we can't do that.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Categorically false. Route 7 moves pretty well all the time. Can get a little slow in the single lane portion through ridge field/redding but never is bright red on the map. Route 7 from Norway to Danbury is smooth sailing relative to 95/15.
My friend used to live in Ridgefield. She would come down to the more northern part of Stamford to work and her husband had his own business and he flew out of the NYC airports frequently. The traffic was so bad coming down from Ridgefield they finally moved to New Canaan a few years back despite the very high cost of the homes there. Their quality of life was suffering because of their commutes.

I myself lived in Stamford when she lived in Ridgefield and I hated going up there (even though she is a very good friend) even in non-rush hour traffic because it felt like it took soooo loooong. I like Ridgefield itself, just not the ride up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut