Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:41 PM

62 posts, read 69,681 times

Advertisements

For the past few months I've been looking at different options with my fiancée where we could move. Basically considering places where my company has an office. It's obvious that my fiancée wants to be relatively close to her family, so we're narrowing down our search to Portland & Hartford. We're going up to Maine Labor Day to check it out, but the one thing that worries me is the job situation especially for my fiancée & how much she'd make in comparison to what she's making now. Long term if things don't work out at my job I'd want to make sure I'd be able to find one myself.

CT has a lot of jobs in my industry & I was surprised that a lot of towns with good schools seem affordable. My fiancée is a social worker. I just wanted to get an idea, maybe from people who moved from Mass to this area what the differences are if any, tax costs, general cost of living, and a feel for the area. We'd probably also visit the area ourselves. From a little research looking at Simsbury, Avon, Glastonbury, Farmington, & West Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:30 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Thw towns you mention are all great but they are considered to be the most desirable and pricey. There may be other equally nice but less expensive communities to consider. Towns like Wethersfield, Canton, Granby, Newington and Rocky Hill offer a lot. That said Hartford is a great small city to live near. Whether it is best for you and you fiancé is your decision. Good luck. Jay

Old 08-01-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thw towns you mention are all great but they are considered to be the most desirable and pricey. There may be other equally nice but less expensive communities to consider. Towns like Wethersfield, Canton, Granby, Newington and Rocky Hill offer a lot. That said Hartford is a great small city to live near. Whether it is best for you and you fiancé is your decision. Good luck. Jay
Thanks, looks like I'll add Canton to the list.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,036 times
Hartford is an urban office park that almost completely closes down at 5PM.

I remember visiting the art museum on a Sat afternoon...which was decent enough for a small city. However, we walked a half-mile radius of the museum after in an attempt to get some lunch..and couldn't find anything open except a Subway. Pathetic.

Had a similar experience visiting the Science Center. Wound up having to eat at the center's cafeteria, because the area surrounding it was a ghost town.

There is nothing 'great' about Hartford. Period.

Quote:
That said Hartford is a great small city to live near.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM

I guess Portland, ME closes down early too from what I heard. To be honest despite being near to Boston, we hardly ever go there, especially late at night.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Hartford is an urban office park that almost completely closes down at 5PM.

I remember visiting the art museum on a Sat afternoon...which was decent enough for a small city. However, we walked a half-mile radius of the museum after in an attempt to get some lunch..and couldn't find anything open except a Subway. Pathetic.

Had a similar experience visiting the Science Center. Wound up having to eat at the center's cafeteria, because the area surrounding it was a ghost town.

There is nothing 'great' about Hartford. Period.
Wrong. There are MANY restaurants in Hartford within a short walk of both of those places and most if not all would be opened late. I have no idea where you were walking. Did you think to ask someone? All you had to do was go over to Front Street, Main Street near Pratt Street or Trumbull Street and you would have had a wide choice of options. Jay.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,036 times
No. This was a Saturday afternoon at about 1 PM.

Not a single thing open for lunch aside from Subway. Like I said, we walked an approximately half mile radius (and the streets were practically deserted...we were one of a handful of pedestrians).

It's not like it was a holiday, either. The weather was okay, as well.

Quote:
Wrong. There are MANY restaurants in Hartford within a short walk of both of those places and most if not all would be opened late. I have no idea where you were walking. Did you think to ask someone? All you had to do was go over to Front Street, Main Street near Pratt Street or Trumbull Street and you would have had a wide choice of options. Jay.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
I can actually believe there were no restaurants open on a Sat afternoon in Hartford. Night time would be a different story though especially on a Saturday.

There isn't much in the area of the Wadsworth. Perhaps Burger King on Asylum would be the closet place for lunch, but I don't know if they are even still open. I know Wendy's and McDonald's closed a while ago.

I noticed there's now a Quizos on Trumbull st kinda around the corner from Bushnell Park and Vitos. Don't have a clue on their schedule though.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
No. This was a Saturday afternoon at about 1 PM.

Not a single thing open for lunch aside from Subway. Like I said, we walked an approximately half mile radius (and the streets were practically deserted...we were one of a handful of pedestrians).

It's not like it was a holiday, either. The weather was okay, as well.
Arch Street Tavern, Bears and City Steam are all open on Saturday afternoon for lunch. Also there are places in any of the hotels. Like I said you should have asked someone. I am sure there are others. Jay

Old 08-02-2015, 08:03 AM

How about the cost of living? What are property taxes like in the area I'm looking? Saw another thread that looks like there is a higher excise tax.

Where I am I pay about $3800. Not including trash pickup for about half an acre, house is 1200 square feet, about $315,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut