Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NY vs NC/FL/GA/SC
NY, The Overrated State 7 87.50%
NC/SC/GA/FL, The Progressive States 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 PM

660 posts, read 659,136 times

Advertisements

I am getting fed up with New York. Not only me, but my classmates and even some teachers really hate NY. This is a board I have been on a lot and the NY Board may be biased. Agree or not with my reasons:

1. Look at the people living in NC/FL. A lot are former NYers who are fed up with this state also.

2. Does this state know what year it is? 2016...IDK how people and this state want to preserve buildings from 300 years ago. We are on 2016, how are the states of FL, NC, GA, or SC growing? By building new buildings that can support many people. FL just passed NY in population because of the opposite directions of the states. NY is a state trending downwards. FL is trending upwards and has a very bright future. Ted Cruz is right, NY has no values, SC and NC have real values.

3. This state has an economic problem. And what do the bright people of this state do...ban fracking. Look at how other states such as PA or OH are growing...with fracking. Everyone is for fracking except for the science teachers at my school.

4. Is NY really a state to build my future on? A high tax state that is more laid back.

5. NY Public Schools may be the most overrated in the nation.

Avoided posting this on the NY Board for bias, but does anyone think NY sucks and is overrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 07:09 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,964,688 times
I think you're kind of spoiled if you think a lot of the public schools in NY are overrated. Contact many towns in Westchester and see where the top students go to college. Yes, the taxes are high, but you also have unparalleled access to some of the best cultural amenities in the world and world class choices in food. But, since you already have a biased poll, I think most people can tell you're leanings.

As I mentioned before on here, my wife was was contacted about a job in a small city in the South and was told it had one of the best school systems in the state (which was true). However, in looking at the actual results, the average test scores and the amount of advanced/AP classes offered at the high school would have put them slightly above average in Connecticut (I think somewhere in the 70s overall). However, I'm sure they probably had a better football team than many towns in Connecticut.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:16 AM

258 posts, read 457,065 times
I think the only region of New York that's trending downwards and has no future is Long Island. The rest of the downstate region (NYC, Westchester, Hudson Valley) in my opinion is great. I can't speak for the upstate region, I've only ever been to Albany once or twice and that's it.

I don't see the value or hype around the southern states, personally. They're cheaper, but that's about it.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,460,567 times
I think you'll really miss how good food can be in NY especially pizza.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,321,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
I am getting fed up with New York. Not only me, but my classmates and even some teachers really hate NY. This is a board I have been on a lot and the NY Board may be biased. Agree or not with my reasons:

1. Look at the people living in NC/FL. A lot are former NYers who are fed up with this state also.

2. Does this state know what year it is? 2016...IDK how people and this state want to preserve buildings from 300 years ago. We are on 2016, how are the states of FL, NC, GA, or SC growing? By building new buildings that can support many people. FL just passed NY in population because of the opposite directions of the states. NY is a state trending downwards. FL is trending upwards and has a very bright future. Ted Cruz is right, NY has no values, SC and NC have real values.

3. This state has an economic problem. And what do the bright people of this state do...ban fracking. Look at how other states such as PA or OH are growing...with fracking. Everyone is for fracking except for the science teachers at my school.

4. Is NY really a state to build my future on? A high tax state that is more laid back.

5. NY Public Schools may be the most overrated in the nation.

Avoided posting this on the NY Board for bias, but does anyone think NY sucks and is overrated?
You lost me at "Ted Cruz is right" - good grief.

If you think NY is overrated and cannot see the value in historic preservation, you should leave the state.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:12 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
I have to laugh when I read this. You seem to have a classic case of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence". You may need to leave there to truly appreciate it. New York is one of our greatest states. It is truly the center of world power. It offers the worlds greatest entertainment and economic opportunity. It has one of the worlds greatest cities and some of the most beautiful mountains and countryside. New York has some of the most well educated people in the world. You won't find all that in North Carolina or Florida. Jay.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:17 PM

I am confused by your poll. What are you asking. I actually think the progressive state's you mention are overrated. They are not really progressive. I would take New York over them any day. Jay

Old 01-31-2016, 03:26 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Since I live in NY and only work in CT I won't answer the poll but will say the OP's comment is very biased and seems somewhat 'political'. I addressed it in his almost exact same post in a thread about whether to move to CT vs. NC. Thanks for all the great comments and support for your 'neighbor' everyone.....

Old 01-31-2016, 03:40 PM

660 posts, read 659,136 times
Sorry if I am rubbing people the wrong way here.

What I am saying is that I believe NY is way overrated and am asking whether or not people prefer NY or the progressive states.

With that said, I am thinking all of what I said over and really am just stressed about all the decisions. These decisions just decide my whole life. I still love NY and just taking out some of my stress on it I guess. But still really am thinking about some of the things I said and some of the things are things I hate about NY.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
Sorry if I am rubbing people the wrong way here.

What I am saying is that I believe NY is way overrated and am asking whether or not people prefer NY or the progressive states.

With that said, I am thinking all of what I said over and really am just stressed about all the decisions. These decisions just decide my whole life. I still love NY and just taking out some of my stress on it I guess. But still really am thinking about some of the things I said and some of the things are things I hate about NY.
Why do you keep calling those states progressive? They are generally the least progressive in the country. Sure they have some growing cities that are somewhat progressive but go outside those cities and you will see a dramatic difference. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: