Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times

Advertisements

Well is about 250, I think. Maybe 200. Neighbor's well is 400. I don't know my elevation, I don't think.... Not seeing it anywhere. I know we're on a hill and there is surrounding area that is lower. The back yard slopes down and the street sloped down. We're on a dead end. Oh he put 1000 GL in. Hoping that holds out for a little while. We're going to a friend's to do laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You & others are right, the Rains 100% help of course with the seepage of ground moisture...but not drizzles or showers unless you have a drain pipe going into the well. We need deep watering heavy rains..
You are only partially correct. Sure, soaking rain helps with the seepage of groundwater but a handful of rain events will not help out a 250' well that is running dry with the soils we have in Connecticut. Groundwater will move rapidly in sand and gravel. That isn't our soil type in CT. If your area tends to be more clay, forget it. It will move even more slowly. Maybe a couple inches per day.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but this is a subject I know a lot about.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Excellent point on the clay soil. Wish we didnt have clay. I learned about soil types with gardening and finally realized why the soil was crap and dried out so fast.

But deep rains do help even if it doesnt seep past 40 feet. It keeps the soil below moist with less chance of evaporation for the well below. When we dont get rains, even 200' below will start to evaporate as the ground above is allowing it being so dry.

Its time to start digging deeper if water is available further down or just keep bringing in water deliveries.

Funny story.. my Grandfather who lived near Pelham road in New Rochelle by Glen Island (you can see the sound from his house). He was digging for a well and sometimes nobody would know where he was because he'd be in the hole past 10 feet. He got to 20 feet and hit water. Lol

Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 PM

WOW Cam! Glad he was in stable ground!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:28 AM

Day breaks at my house. This place seems to be sitting on a large rock. Granite seems to be the soil content here, which is fine by me!

Did I mention the pressure tank is bad? Another few hundred. I think we're going to swap that out ourselves. It's on order and will be delivered to the house.

On one hand, pray for rain. On the other, my other half just got some remodel jobs and will be delayed with rain. Maybe we'll just let God decide.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 20,582 times
Not sure what the expense is for a new well or fracking, but you may want to consider a Well Manager (search google for website). They extract well water at a slow rate and store it in a water storage container. It can work with marginal wells as an alternate to drilling new, (re)drilling, or fracking...but again, not sure about costs...

jd

Old 09-25-2015, 03:31 AM

Thank you, jd. I will definitely google that! After the one monsoon-like rain, as we all know - nothing, nada, zilch. We are hoping it catches up. We're nursing it along - trying to take lightning fast showers or going elsewhere (gym, work) to shower. Washing clothes at the laundromat. (it's just the two of us). I dump my dishwater around the yard, hoping it is appreciated by the flagging greenery. We're just not sure what to do. Hoping to wait it out.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
I heard of someone's well in Monroe that recently went dry.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I heard of someone's well in Monroe that recently went dry.
Friend in Durham had his go dry.

This map shows it quite clearly that wells are well below normal.

USGS -- Groundwater Watch

I am on city water and have a recreational pass to Lake Saltonsall which is the main source of water for most of New Haven County. The lake is about 10-15 feet from its normal shoreline. I was driving in Orange the other day and a pond was literally just a puddle in the middle. Completely dried up.

While nothing like the drought out west we really haven't got much rain.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:35 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
The reservoir level for the state is at 93.8% so we're certainly not in a formal drought. No need to panic. We've been dry since Jan 1 but at normal levels over the trailing 12 months. If Cam is right and the real fall shows up soon we'll also see more rain soon in addition to cooler temps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut