Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,120 times

Advertisements

Traffic is out of control. Being in Fairfield county, i dont think i can remember when the highway doesnt have traffic on it unless its extremely early in the morning or late at night.

With new apartments being built, is traffic just going to get worse and worse? What can possibly be done to alleviate traffic? Due to limited space to build additional lanes and real estate costs being extreme, i have no idea if anything can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:56 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,311 times
I think the bulk of horrible I-95 traffic is that in, through, and directly around FairField County. I lived there fore several years (near exit 8) and it was nothing short of a nightmare almost any day of the week, except for about 11pm.

Since I've moved, I rarely have any problems on I-95.

But if traffic patterns have shown anything, the problem is only likely either to remain bad, or just become horrifically and exponentially worse.

(And don't get me started on the Merritt!! )

Old 08-17-2015, 09:04 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,864 times
Many parts Interstate 95 havent been improved for a very long time now. Traffic will only get worse because Fairfield County is growing and other areas of NYC depend on Interstate 95 through Connecticut because it's the gateway to New England. Any driver that needs to go to Rhode Island, Boston area, New Hampshire, and Maine need to go through Connecticut if their coming from urban centers such as Washington DC, Philadelphia, and NYC. There's no way around yet. If we do plan to fix it or widen it then traffic will only get worse. With no bypass around CT I'm not sure where all the traffic will go. Merritt Parkway can't accommodate to 18 wheelers and Interstate 84 is too far. We're stuck in a bubble. Probably the only way is to do it in stages and do roadwork only from 11pm to 5am but even doing that then the whole project will take ages. Malloy wants to widen Interstate 95 and it won't be as easy as everyone thinks.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Many parts Interstate 95 havent been improved for a very long time now. Traffic will only get worse because Fairfield County is growing and other areas of NYC depend on Interstate 95 through Connecticut because it's the gateway to New England. Any driver that needs to go to Rhode Island, Boston area, New Hampshire, and Maine need to go through Connecticut if their coming from urban centers such as Washington DC, Philadelphia, and NYC. There's no way around yet. If we do plan to fix it or widen it then traffic will only get worse. With no bypass around CT I'm not sure where all the traffic will go. Merritt Parkway can't accommodate to 18 wheelers and Interstate 84 is too far. We're stuck in a bubble. Probably the only way is to do it in stages and do roadwork only from 11pm to 5am but even doing that then the whole project will take ages. Malloy wants to widen Interstate 95 and it won't be as easy as everyone thinks.
yeah but how would we widen it? There really isnt the room to do it, and the fact that we just redid all these rest stops in CT, shows that they really had no plan of widening the highway. If you were to allow for trucks to use the merrit, u would have to redo all the bridges including the tunnel through exit 59 in New Haven, i just dont see them doing that. Maybe they can create a railroad that extends past New Haven and goes all the way up to Providence?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
As long as there are people, there will be traffic. Pure and simple. Doesn't matter how much you widen the highways or whatever else you do. Unless people are willing (or able) to carpool or have greater access to public transit (and they embrace it), nothing will change. For as long as there have been cars, there's been traffic. Early photos of some of the first cars riding on Manhattan's Lower East Side confirm this. Of course it doesn't help that lower I-95 is a corridor into the nation's biggest, most heavily-traveled city, but even if it weren't, there would still be congestion, just to a lesser degree. It's everywhere.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 AM

64 posts, read 69,791 times
Not likely to significantly change until people start using cars less. The state will never make real improvements.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Traffic is out of control. Being in Fairfield county, i dont think i can remember when the highway doesnt have traffic on it unless its extremely early in the morning or late at night.

With new apartments being built, is traffic just going to get worse and worse? What can possibly be done to alleviate traffic? Due to limited space to build additional lanes and real estate costs being extreme, i have no idea if anything can be done.
I don't think any politician has said it out loud, but I think they assume new residents are going to use public transport like metro north during commuting hours. That isn't realistic for many reasons though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
With no bypass around CT I'm not sure where all the traffic will go. Merritt Parkway can't accommodate to 18 wheelers and Interstate 84 is too far. We're stuck in a bubble.
I said it before, but if we assume I-95 can't be widened, then the traffic has to be diverted somehow. I think expanding RT 7 + Rt 8 north to connect with I-84. In order for that to work though I-84 would have to be expanded first from NY state line to Waterbury. I don't know if that is possible especially in the Danbury area.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I am trying to decide whether to keep this as a separate thread or merge it into one of the MANY other threads complaining about traffic here. I think I will let this one go as long as it does not turn into another whining and ranting thread like we have seen before. JayCT, Moderator

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times
I-95 just needs an upper deck express only with exits in key areas. One exit in Stamford, Bridgeport, Norwalk, etc. At least that's the only thing I can come up with.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Governor Malloy has proposed widening I-95 from New Haven to New York in his massive $100 billion Transportation Plan. No work has actually begun on the project so it is years or even decades from becoming a reality. There is no doubt that something needs to be done there but there is a lot of strong opposition to widening the highway. Many of the town along the route are opposed to expansion of it and approval would be required from 3 different regional planning agencies, 2 of which are more mass-transit oriented. Believe it or not there are also some who still believe the highway should never have been built in the first place and some that think it should be abandoned. We will see if Malloy's plan will ever get traction. I can only encourage you all to contact your state and local politicians and encourage/demand something to be done. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut