Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:32 PM

75 posts, read 108,714 times

Advertisements

Yes, you will have cleaner air and more elbow room in Connecticut than in the San Fernando Valley, but the trade-offs are:

-Aloof, distant, uptight, conventional people
-Long, harsh winters with lots of snow and ice that last for ~6 months/yr
-Short, intense summers with lots humidity and, occasionally, bad storms (T-storms, tornadoes, etc.)
-Higher auto insurance
-Property taxes on vehicles (not a thing in CA)
-Far fewer "everyday conveniences" (banks, shopping, dining, etc.)
-Much more restrictive laws regarding the sale of alcohol (unheard of in CA and some other Western states)
-A less diversified economy

There are a number of other disadvantages of living in CT, but those will be the ones you'll deal with regardless of where you live in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Yes, you will have cleaner air and more elbow room in Connecticut than in the San Fernando Valley, but the trade-offs are:

-Long, harsh winters with lots of snow and ice that last for ~6 months/yr
-Short, intense summers with lots humidity and, occasionally, bad storms (T-storms, tornadoes, etc.)
-Higher auto insurance
-Property taxes on vehicles (not a thing in CA)
-Far fewer "everyday conveniences" (banks, shopping, dining, etc.)
-Much more restrictive laws regarding the sale of alcohol (unheard of in CA and some other Western states)
-A less diversified economy

There are a number of other disadvantages of living in CT, but those will be the ones you'll deal with regardless of where you live in the state.
Agree with all except 6 month winters. I'm not sure why people regularly claim our winters are half the year. Actual winter weather lasts from late November to late March. That's 4 months maximum.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agree with all except 6 month winters. I'm not sure why people regularly claim our winters are half the year. Actual winter weather lasts from late November to late March. That's 4 months maximum.
I'd agree with that - even with March or November, it's rare that we get snow.

While I'd agree that people here are more conventional, I've never found people in Connecticut to be cold and/or aloof.

In terms of summers, I guess we can disagree about how intense they are here. I think most summers here are pretty mild. Tornadoes are also pretty rare and very minor, and nothing like the huge ones that wreak havoc in Oklahoma, Kansas and other areas of the midwest.

I've never felt restricted in buying alcohol in Connecticut, but I'm also a person that tends to plan ahead in terms of buying alcoholic beverages so I don't need to run out at midnight to get another case of beer.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:08 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Many people base their decision on a state to live by being able to but beer at 10pm

Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Many people base their decision on a state to live by being able to but beer at 10pm
True, I think that's #3 on your typical list after schools and safety.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:54 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post

I live in CT and I am laid back hippie type, artist, musician, non-conformist.

If you live in southwest Fairfied County I guess you would be right. The people are pretty uptight down there. Once you get out of FFC it's a different vibe.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:54 AM

304 posts, read 397,176 times
Six month winters? No. Mild weather in the 60s and 50s can last up until late November in southern New England- go look at the historic temperature records. Winter begins to ebb most years in late March- so we have 3 months of possible snow and cold- December- March. Cold weather that begins to remain starts around the time of the solstice in December. Except for the last two winters, and that of 2010-2011 winters vary.

The canary in the coal mind is climate change- what effect will this have on the climate in Southern New England? Present science indicates hotter summers- that begin earlier and end later, with earlier springs and milder winters with more precipitation. Changes are now occurring- more extreme weather events of a peculiar nature will like take place. By the 2020s the climate here will begin to change quicker- with far warmer summers then currently. http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...e-change-rate/

In 2016 C02 in the atmosphere will likely stay above 400ppm most of the year- its current rising around 2.5ppm a year. Keep in mind that in a normal geological history of natural climate change- due to orbital variations a rise of 10ppm took 1000 years. Milanokovitch cycles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjrv8tt6qYU

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailin...kovicPaper.pdf

On Auto insurance- California residents in the larger population areas pay more for auto insurance then in Connecticut.

Connecticut of course cannot compete with a huge economy like California- which is larger then many countries globally. Connecticut is part of the eastern megalopolis- which has 40 million people (same as California) that geographically stretches about the same distance as the west coast. However Overcrowding, traffic issues, lackluster public transportation, increasing water shortages, expensive housing are all negatives in California's largest and most desired metro areas. Over 80% of the states population lives in a climatic region known as 'sub humid' or semi arid.

Last edited by newerabuzz; 10-18-2015 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut