Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:39 AM

67 posts, read 152,634 times

Advertisements

Looking for cost of finishing a 1000sqft basement.

Here are the details.

1) Already installed sump-pump and perimeter curtain drains
2) no leaks
3) looking for very basic finish--> large living area as play area and tv. One small office.
4) No windows
5) Location: Unionville/burlington area
6) No baths required

Thanks for the comments

Last edited by docyale; 01-30-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 11:44 AM

845 posts, read 681,421 times
I priced this out myself recently, using CT costs at Home Depot in the Waterbury area. Your mileage may vary. I got something like $80/sq ft.

I am unsure of the exact laws for egress windows (I know you need one for a bedroom, which this was going to be, I do not know about play area/living room type) but that would mean you'd need a window / two windows / two escapes put in (that DO NOT go through the house) This can cost a lot. $2,000 when I priced it (not built into the cost)

The pump and drains can reduce the cost of the sq ft, but I don't know how much it would change it. I can't offer you much more beyond my calculations, find a good contractor in the area to come in and give you an estimate. They do them for free, most of the time.

Hope it helped.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:20 PM

Thank you.. I had some one from TOTAL BASEMENT FINISHING INC come look at it. They gave a quote for 35K for finishing around 750sqft.. Curious to know if there are any one out there who finished their basements recently.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:08 AM

856 posts, read 2,016,089 times
Pricing this myself, I'm in an older home that previously had a wood paneling affair in the basement, we tore it out so we can improve but left bathroom, electrical and heat.

I've learned it depends on what your expectations are. For instance my previous owners installed lower level heat so I want an insulated room and floor. If you are looking at only using in selectively or for short durations where a space heater is enough, then maybe you can cut some corners on the level of insulation/cost. Same for level of ceiling quality, do you want drop or will you do sheetrock? Factor in overhead lighting costs, and any electrical you need to add. My costs also included having to rent a truck to get everything home. Also are you doing this yourself? Do you need to hire people? What about tools/machine rentals?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:32 AM

201 posts, read 381,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docyale View Post
Thank you.. I had some one from TOTAL BASEMENT FINISHING INC come look at it. They gave a quote for 35K for finishing around 750sqft.. Curious to know if there are any one out there who finished their basements recently.
Did that include water proofing?

Old 01-31-2017, 11:10 AM

I don't think so. The basement as it is has sump pump and perimeter drains. It hasn't leaked for us

Old 01-31-2017, 11:23 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Virtually impossible to give an estimate here.

Carpet? Tiles? Insulation? Plastic barrier? Heat? Electric? Cable? Framing? Mouldings? # of doors? Access panels for pipes? Box outs for pipes? Moving pipes? Type of sheetrock? Permits? Closets? Lighting?

My guess you can do it all for under 20,000 but to get an estimate you really need to show pics, blueprints and be specific. lol

Old 01-31-2017, 04:56 PM

It's also worth mentioning...if budget is an issue and you're diy, my parents finished theirs in stages...wall and floor insulation with basic framing and floor...then came electrical, Sheetrock, later ceiling, later baseboard, finish trim and finally carpet and electric baseboards.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 PM

I am open to the idea of doing it in stages. Honestly, all I need done by a professional is a ceiling to hide all the pipes and insulation material. I could do foam/carpet tiles for the floor. The only thing is I am worried about not having a permit when doing this.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:58 PM

How well do you get along with your neighbors? How long are you planning to stay in the house? You can always call your town office and see how much you can do without them. It's possible if utilities are still visible you won't need one yet, which gets you through the first stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut