Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you're empty nesters, which town to move to?
Guilford 13 72.22%
Cheshire 4 22.22%
Wallingford 1 5.56%
Hamden 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Cheshire has one of the best school systems...
Remember that we're talking about empty-nesters..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 04:21 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Guilford is a stunning town, it also has a shoreline and easy access to New Haven

Old 11-19-2015, 04:59 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Guilford is a stunning town, it also has a shoreline and easy access to New Haven
I'll give you it's a stunning town. But easy access to New Haven? It's ok when traffic isn't bad...but how often is traffic not bad?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:47 PM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
I like Cheshire, it has a glimmer I really do admire. My thoughts flip flop regarding Cheshire though. Its scenic, but personally it lacks a town center of any notable size.
I love towns with a main street with lots shops cohesively on walking blocks, and the layout in Cheshire (I'm finally surmising) doesn't really fit the profile. But does have plenty of shopping on RT 10.

I think Guilford has been kissed with the quintessential New England town center. As warming as a cup of chowder. Yes, I would highly consider living there. I know we'd love it.

On a recent visit to CT we drove from Essex, across RT 1 and intentionally around the center of Guilford over the fantastic new Q bridge then up Whitney Ave. My jaw dropped. The maples all matured and boughs making a tunnel over the road was like a storybook town. Everything going up Whitney into Hamed, then Cheshire was all well groomed and utterly gorgeous.

We were so impressed we returned a few weeks later just to look at Wallingford. Oh, if only Wallingford could get some New England vibe going on the several blocks of Center St.

My husband says Hamden's taxes are just too darn high. So I have nixed Hamden, and just look at that poll, you've nixed it too.

So I guess its still between Wallingford and Guilford... only because Wally has many walkable streets, a town center with PO, great restaurants, the bank, the YMCA and the train within walking distance, and their own electric company it gives me reasons to keep it as a viable place to enjoy.
Did I miss anything?

I really don't have to give reasons for considering Guilford since it speaks for itself.

Any reasons why you like one of these towns, your enlightenment is welcome.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:34 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I'll give you it's a stunning town. But easy access to New Haven? It's ok when traffic isn't bad...but how often is traffic not bad?
Traffic isn't that bad at all. Summer Friday's and Sunday nights aside.

If you like Hamden you might want to check out Milford. It's similarly convenient with loads of shopping, a bit more dense with things to do, and a beautiful coast. Taxes are much lower than Hamden.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
I like Cheshire, it has a glimmer I really do admire. My thoughts flip flop regarding Cheshire though. Its scenic, but personally it lacks a town center of any notable size.
I love towns with a main street with lots shops cohesively on walking blocks, and the layout in Cheshire (I'm finally surmising) doesn't really fit the profile. But does have plenty of shopping on RT 10.

I think Guilford has been kissed with the quintessential New England town center. As warming as a cup of chowder. Yes, I would highly consider living there. I know we'd love it.

On a recent visit to CT we drove from Essex, across RT 1 and intentionally around the center of Guilford over the fantastic new Q bridge then up Whitney Ave. My jaw dropped. The maples all matured and boughs making a tunnel over the road was like a storybook town. Everything going up Whitney into Hamed, then Cheshire was all well groomed and utterly gorgeous.

We were so impressed we returned a few weeks later just to look at Wallingford. Oh, if only Wallingford could get some New England vibe going on the several blocks of Center St.

My husband says Hamden's taxes are just too darn high. So I have nixed Hamden, and just look at that poll, you've nixed it too.

So I guess its still between Wallingford and Guilford... only because Wally has many walkable streets, a town center with PO, great restaurants, the bank, the YMCA and the train within walking distance, and their own electric company it gives me reasons to keep it as a viable place to enjoy.
Did I miss anything?

I really don't have to give reasons for considering Guilford since it speaks for itself.

Any reasons why you like one of these towns, your enlightenment is welcome.
So far, Guilford has 13 votes, Wallingford has 1, and that's my vote. I just have a sense that Guilford wouldn't do it for you as an empty-nester. Besides its green, Guilford has very little else that other towns don't have. And Guilford's green will get old fast once you tried its one coffee shop and two restaurants. If you are looking for more, you have to travel. Center-wise, I would prefer Branford to Guilford. In fact, I am not sure why you are not considering Branford, or Milford.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I just have a sense that Guilford wouldn't do it for you as an empty-nester. Besides its green, Guilford has very little else that other towns don't have. And Guilford's green will get old fast once you tried its one coffee shop and two restaurants.
The green has more than that. Plus you have the shoreline, town beaches, The Place, Bishop's Orchards, beautiful countryside, etc.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The green has more than that. Plus you have the shoreline, town beaches, The Place, Bishop's Orchards, beautiful countryside, etc.
Guilford is a great town, but its center is not known as a go-to for restaurants. It's very limited in offerings. Unless your are into boating, the Shoreline is fairly private and inaccessible to non-members.

Don't get me wrong, Guilford is a wonderful town, contrary to others here I don't find it congested. Yet, as I said many other towns offer similar amenities. For example, take the countryside and farms. Durham comes to mind before Guilford. Beaches, Madison and Milford come to mind before Guilford.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 PM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
Durham is beautiful countryside, which I love, and currently live in rural privacy, but has lost its luster.
I want the sidewalk exercise and window shopping.

We have friends in all of the towns I listed, and want to stay within those parameters.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
So far, Guilford has 13 votes, Wallingford has 1, and that's my vote. I just have a sense that Guilford wouldn't do it for you as an empty-nester. Besides its green, Guilford has very little else that other towns don't have. And Guilford's green will get old fast once you tried its one coffee shop and two restaurants. If you are looking for more, you have to travel. Center-wise, I would prefer Branford to Guilford. In fact, I am not sure why you are not considering Branford, or Milford.

I live in Fairfield County but I am looking to move to either Branford, Guilford or Madison in retirement. My husband and I have been going to the three towns a lot to get the feel of each town. We both love the beach, boats and the shoreline so we could both be happy in all three towns. I have to tell you as retirees I think we will probably end up in Branford as there is much more shopping and the town center is the liveliest of the three. Another consideration we have is that Branford is closer to a mall (in Milford), big box and department stores and it seems like it has far more varied restaurants than Guilford and Madison.

We were in a coffee shop in the town center of Branford during a week day and we were talking to some of the folks in there. There were quite a few retired people that said that they lived in Guilford but found themselves in and around Branford almost every day.

The one thing that might win us over to Madison is the beaches including Hammonasset Beach State Park. The Madison beaches are spectacular. But it seems the boating scene and community is probably larger in Branford as they have a coastline that seems better for marina's. A goal of ours is to get a little motor boat.

Another consideration in the senior tax breaks you get from the different towns. There is a website that I posted a while back on here that showed the tax relief programs to the different towns but I need to find the link. Some of the towns have very good senior tax relief while others have little to no senior tax relief programs. It is worth checking with each individual town. Madison has a great senior tax relief program on top of the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut