Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:47 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I'm surprised people are up in arms about what he said when the banner of the GOP these days is "down with political correctness".. why is what he said any more (or less) offensive than the things Donald Trump says on a weekly basis. I personally agree it was a little off-color but I thought it was still milder than many of the things I hear from the Donald. He mocks anything and everything he doesn't believe in and people cheer him on for not tip-toeing around other people's feelings.
To Noonan's point, it is different because Murphy is attacking free speech. Trump has never attacked free speech

THat is what makes this different. Right now Lorretta Lynch is threatening to jail people who criticize Islam. Murphy is part of a larger movement to limit speech just like the college students and their safe spaces.

It all sounds very un american to me

Old 12-05-2015, 02:59 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
To Noonan's point, it is different because Murphy is attacking free speech. Trump has never attacked free speech

THat is what makes this different. Right now Lorretta Lynch is threatening to jail people who criticize Islam. Murphy is part of a larger movement to limit speech just like the college students and their safe spaces.

It all sounds very un american to me
You didn't quite finish the sentence. Loretta Lynch is threatening to jail people who criticize Islam that promotes hate speech/violence. Don't tell me you're fine with hate violence...

But this is a good example of how divided America has become. It's like people are picking factions within the country and people base their alliance on fear, no critical thinking, misunderstandings, etc.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:13 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
I am not a fan of Chris Murphy and I am not a liberal. Still, I didn't find his statement all that bad. I have found all these "Pray for ...." statements that pop up on Facebook with depressing frequency very annoying. Social media is dumbing down this country, making us stupid. And people think that putting a statement up on Facebook or Twitter is taking action, when it is actually a substitute for action.

That being said, the liberals have really shown their true colors with this incident. To treat this like a typical gun crime is totally idiotic. The president is in total denial about the real issue. What we have here is the result of a long term effort to (a) degrade the idea that we have any control of our own borders; (b) degrade the idea that assimilation into a mainstream culture is the goal; (c) create a government that is more concerned with being politically correct than protecting its citizens.

Obama lives in his own world, completely immune to reality, while everything is falling apart. He's ending up like LBJ, the last true liberal to hold the White House. This is why I never support liberals, because whatever they say their goals are, it always ends like this.

We need to reassert control over our destiny. That means retaking control of our borders, and being selective about who is allowed in and who isn't. We should not be letting in people from terrorist countries like Saudi Arabia who have ties to radical imams in Pakistan. The fact that our government rolled out the welcome mat for that piece of filth woman shows how dysfunctional it has become and how little regard it has for the safety of its own citizens.

As far as terrorist watch lists go -- anybody on a terrorist watch list who is not a citizen should be expelled. And if a citizen is found to have traveled to a terrorist hellhole like Syria and consorted with radical islamists, his/her citizenship should be revoked and he/she should be permanently barred from the US.

If this situation isn't brought under control, the mood in this country will turn really ugly and innocent muslims will be in danger. It's ironic that those who claim to want to promote this great tolerance will end up having the opposite effect because they do everything so stupidly. Idealism must be tempered with some sense of realism, or it backfires, as it has now. And it's very telling that the first concern of that Loretta Lynch woman is not protecting Americans from terrorist attacks, but prosecuting people who make anti-islamic statements. This isn't even the United States anymore. The government that we have is a cancer upon our country, a foreign growth that is killing us and has to be replaced with something that works in our interests.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:28 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I am not a fan of Chris Murphy and I am not a liberal. Still, I didn't find his statement all that bad. I have found all these "Pray for ...." statements that pop up on Facebook with depressing frequency very annoying. Social media is dumbing down this country, making us stupid. And people think that putting a statement up on Facebook or Twitter is taking action, when it is actually a substitute for action.

That being said, the liberals have really shown their true colors with this incident. To treat this like a typical gun crime is totally idiotic. The president is in total denial about the real issue. What we have here is the result of a long term effort to (a) degrade the idea that we have any control of our own borders; (b) degrade the idea that assimilation into a mainstream culture is the goal; (c) create a government that is more concerned with being politically correct than protecting its citizens.

Obama lives in his own world, completely immune to reality, while everything is falling apart. He's ending up like LBJ, the last true liberal to hold the White House. This is why I never support liberals, because whatever they say their goals are, it always ends like this.

We need to reassert control over our destiny. That means retaking control of our borders, and being selective about who is allowed in and who isn't. We should not be letting in people from terrorist countries like Saudi Arabia who have ties to radical imams in Pakistan. The fact that our government rolled out the welcome mat for that piece of filth woman shows how dysfunctional it has become and how little regard it has for the safety of its own citizens.

As far as terrorist watch lists go -- anybody on a terrorist watch list who is not a citizen should be expelled. And if a citizen is found to have traveled to a terrorist hellhole like Syria and consorted with radical islamists, his/her citizenship should be revoked and he/she should be permanently barred from the US.

If this situation isn't brought under control, the mood in this country will turn really ugly and innocent muslims will be in danger. It's ironic that those who claim to want to promote this great tolerance will end up having the opposite effect because they do everything so stupidly. Idealism must be tempered with some sense of realism, or it backfires, as it has now. And it's very telling that the first concern of that Loretta Lynch woman is not protecting Americans from terrorist attacks, but prosecuting people who make anti-islamic statements. This isn't even the United States anymore. The government that we have is a cancer upon our country, a foreign growth that is killing us and has to be replaced with something that works in our interests.
Excellent post and I couldn't agree more with every last word.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:35 PM

114 posts, read 77,332 times
Quote:
In my opinion, the best solution is to change the gun culture in America, and I fear that is extremely hard to override and may take a few generations before we can even think of it. The 2nd amendment needs to be discarded. That'll also take ages before we can get a majority vote. But, I think that is the best step. What I want is probably too drastic for America in 2015/2016. So, till then, I'm all up for increased regulations and checks for firearms.
I agree that some weapons on the market are unnecessary.

Even if the 2nd amendment is repealed do you really think gun violence is going to cease? Consider all of the murders that occur in Chicago or Baltimore on a weekly basis. I highly doubt the majority of those murderers obtained those weapons legally.

Someone driven to commit such acts will use what ever is available. In 2014 a high school student went on a rampage stabbing 21 people in Pennsylvania. England has banned guns ask them how that's going, they are now trying to ban sharp knives because those are the assailants' latest choice.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:48 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:

I'm a (moderate) liberal and I agree with these statements, however I also do think SOME gun control needs to be part of the equation. These are scary ass times and everything needs to be part of the equation, from immigration to gun control.

I have known several people in a situation where they did need a gun for self-protection and I'm not at all opposed to people buying guns for that reason. Heck, I may buy one myself in the near future. But why does anyone need some of these crazy guns on the market today that don't seem practical for self-protection or hunting sports. And especially why do people on no-fly lists, who IDEALLY would be expelled like dazzleman says but if we aren't there yet then we can at least make it harder for them to get the weapons.

But before i veer off point here.. does anyone else really think Chris Murphy was attacking free speech? At best, he was encouraging us to go take action and at worse was mocking a religious practice.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:51 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
What breaks my heart the most is that politics in America is becoming extremely dichotomous. It's just one or the other. There is no between. There is no conservative Democrat or liberal Republican.
Absolutely false. If anything now, independents, the in-between, are the largest political group.

Your representation of political landscape is also very wrong.

Surely there are conservative Democrats. They are just silent, or aloof. The Radical Left, Saul Alinsky-school of politics, have taken over the Democratic Party. Some are closeted Marxists, like Obama and Hillary, or out in the open like Bernie. Those remaining "Democrats" have fallen in line and march to the drumbeat, no matter what.

Radicals have already silenced many of their ranks, and turned the rest into drones. All down the line. Conservative Democrats, who we will call Reagan Democrats -- still teeter on the edge, and many can't overcome their old habit of being a Democrat.

On the righ-wing you have Liberal-Republicans -- these are the establishment Republicans, RINOs (Republican in Name Only). You also have Constitutionalists (or conservatives), and you also have libertarians. RINOs perceive Conservatives as their greatest threat. Conservatives, as outsiders looking in, pose a great danger to the current power structure of Washington. McConnell / Ryan can work with Obama, they can share power with Democrats, but they can't with Conservatives. That's why Carl Rove's wing hates the Ted Cruz wing of the GOP.

Then you have the libertarians, Ron Paul student movement, which more and more is at odds with the College establishment, which is a hard-left bloc.

These are the major flavors. Then you have minor flavors, like the "Rent is Too Damn High" Party, and a million other ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
This whole protecting against government tyranny as listed in the 2nd amendment is pathetic. Does anyone realize that we have the best military in the world by far? How is a commoner supposed to fight them? If martial law occurs tomorrow and the commander in chief rolls in a couple armored tanks in your neighborhood to suppress resistance, no legally purchased firearm can penetrate. Your entire family can be shooting from every window possible and there's nothing stopping the military. That is, of course, if a UAV strike hasn't already blown your house up from the sky couple miles away...
This the same old tired argument that we hear everyday at MSNBC and Huffington Post. Your representation of civil conflicts, riots etc -- this is also wrong. Usually, sides in a civil conflict are the rioters and the riot police. If you think that Military, under orders from Obama, will march into Texas and obliterate Amarillo -- I have a couple of Brooklyn Bridges to sell you.

IF anything, most cities have annulled 2A. Several states also. If you also think that Federal Govt is some innocent, impotent force, with no tyrannical ambition -- I also have Bridge 3 and 4 to sell you.

Look, we get it. Many liberals like yourself want to get rid of 2A altogether. You have an opinion, just like somebody else thinks that 1st Amendment should not apply to you.

Now everything is up for grabs. Anything is up for discussion.

Quote:

Excellent post dazzleman. I only disagree with the part that Democrat Party wants muslim immigrants because of Idealism. Not true.

Democrat Party wants to import Democrat voters at all costs. Be it as it may.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:

I agree with this part of your post... It's too bad the previous section had your typical "der lib-ruhls" screed.

You can't strip citizenship from people born here...

Old 12-05-2015, 04:27 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ13 View Post
I agree that some weapons on the market are unnecessary.

Even if the 2nd amendment is repealed do you really think gun violence is going to cease? Consider all of the murders that occur in Chicago or Baltimore on a weekly basis. I highly doubt the majority of those murderers obtained those weapons legally.

Someone driven to commit such acts will use what ever is available. In 2014 a high school student went on a rampage stabbing 21 people in Pennsylvania. England has banned guns ask them how that's going, they are now trying to ban sharp knives because those are the assailants' latest choice.
The ban in England is going well since you can't stab 5 people in three seconds the way you can shoot 5 people in three seconds (slight exaggeration perhaps, but, you get my point). They might be getting a bit ambitious banning knives, but, if criminals are resorting to knives over guns, I do think that's a success.

So, the thing with Chicago/Baltimore is that it doesn't stop anyone from buying a gun from Milwaukee or Indianapolis and go there to do their deed in Chicago. City wide banning won't help since interstate travel makes things easy.

Fortunately, no fatalities during the stabbing. i'll take that over even one dead body with a bullet hole.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:32 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I agree with this part of your post... It's too bad the previous section had your typical "der lib-ruhls" screed.

You can't strip citizenship from people born here...
My understanding is that you can strip citizenship from an American who serves in the armed forces of a foreign country. Joining up with ISIS terrorists is tantamount to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut