Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:22 PM

83 posts, read 129,189 times

Advertisements

Since you're looking to buy, I'd steer clear of condos. They tend to not retain their value well at all in Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 03:04 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaBelle View Post
Thanks everyone for the good area. I am originally from Oklahoma but we have lived in Ohio, Oklahoma, New Orleans, Indiana and Arkansas.

We like all of the towns but it is hard to gage on a short term if the towns are on the upswing or are going down. We usually only live in an area for 5-10 years so resale is a biggie for us. We are also on a limited budget of about $250,000. We are needing about 1600sq ft. We are okay with a smaller home if it is a nicer home. A big issue we've been having is that we need space for three cars, hopefully with a two-car garage.

Also, do condos buy/sell well here?

We love CT!
That is a very tight budget for the area of Connecticut you are looking. It might eliminate a couple of the towns you mention unless you are willing to accept an older home in need of some work. The garage requirement will make it even more difficult. Check the listings in these towns to see if it is realistic. I doubt Cheshire will be.

Your best bet on resale is to find a home in a good location that needs work and fix it up. Condos can be an issue to sell in down markets and I am not sure you can find one in your price range with a 2 car garage. Jay

Old 01-05-2016, 03:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
You're going to be near the bottom of the housing market in the $ 250,000 range in the towns you have chosen.

You may be able to find a ranch or raised ranch in that price range with a 2 car garage. A raised ranch especially may get you that 1600 + square feet of space counting both main level and finished walk out basement.

Condos in general will have no garage or just a single garage- sometimes built in or in a detached cluster.
Trying to find a condo where you can park 3 cars in front of the unit in a driveway will be very tough. IMO you would do better looking for a house.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:18 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Your money will go farthest in Wallingford or Southington but that budget is honestly pretty modest for any of those towns. You'd do better in towns like Rocky Hill, Newington, or Watertown, although the schools are not quite as highly rated.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
I have been looking into Branford, Guilford and Madison for retirement. I have been looking at the real estate listings for quite some time and I think you might be able to find a 1600 SF house in Branford. It would probably need some work though. Branford has a nice laid back coastal vibe.

Here are a few but they need work.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...e/pid_4778843/

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_8320561/

There are not a lot of houses/condos on the market right now so there aren't a lot of examples.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 PM

19 posts, read 17,734 times
We've actually found several homes in these towns that need little to no work and have been pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Have you visited or at least Google Street viewed these houses?

I know Cheshire fairly well, and based on the locations of pretty much every house under $275K on the MLS there, I would personally cross it off your list.

Flipping is semi popular in Southington - so chances are better there of finding something that looks nice for $250 - but get a good inspection.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 PM

19 posts, read 17,734 times
Any opinions on West Haven or Middletown?

Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Both those towns have inferior school systems are compared to your original choices.

West Haven, in particular, is densely developed with a mostly older housing stock and is very blue collar. Middletown is a mixed bag economically. A city type core with many suburban and more lightly developed areas. Lots of homes from which to choose. Housing ranges from old to newer.

Public schools in Middletown are not highly regarded although there are two private, Catholic & well regarded high schools in the city ( one for boys, one for girls)

Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaBelle View Post
We've actually found several homes in these towns that need little to no work and have been pleasantly surprised.
Have you visited these homes? Generally, in towns with higher performing schools, anything under 300k will need TLC. I'd be surprised to find a move in ready home for 250k in Cheshire. there may be underlying issues with the homes you're seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut