Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 01:35 AM

13 posts, read 48,174 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I have looked through several threads on this website and it has been really helpful. But...I decided to post a thread that was specific to our needs. My husband just accepted a job in CT. We are originally from the east coast, but have been fortunate enough to live in Denver, CO for the past 9 years. We live in a section of town where we can walk to restaurants, art galleries, coffee shops, parks, libraries, etc and we love this. We are about an hour and half from the mountains. We have two children 3 and 2 and we spend our weekends outdooors - hiking, skiing, biking etc....I am also a SAHM. So we are looking for a town in CT that has a little "urban" feeling while still feeling safe, and has a relatively young and active community - and some SAHMs that have similar interests. Of course, good schools are also a priority. My sister lives in Guilford and we think it is beautiful!!! We love that it is close to the coast, but I do not know if I can get used to the idea of driving 10 -15 minutes to a grocery store. We also have some limitations with housing prices.....$450-500,000 is our max!! So that rules out a lot of towns, but we are not in need of a McMansion....2000 square feet is more than we have now. We have been so spoiled in Denver, but feel that there is the right "fit" for us in CT. Thanks for any advice you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,804 times
West Hartford

Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
If working in the Hartford area West Hartford is exactly what you are looking for.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
You did not say where your husband would be working. That would help. I will say that you should be able to find a home in your price range in most communities except possibilty lower Fairfield County. I am not sure why you think that it is a long drive to a grocery store in Guilford. There are supermarkets within the town. You just need to live closer to the center of town.

If your husbands job is in Hartford, as others said, consider West Hartford. In the New Haven area consider Milford or Guilford, Branford or Madison. In Fairfield County consider the Town of Fairfield. Good luck and welcome. Jay

Old 02-10-2008, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 48,174 times
My husband is in sales....so his focus area will be Hartford, but we could live anywhere within about an hour from there. My preference would be to move closer to the coast! Something we don't have here in Colorado.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
If in Hartford, the coast will be about an hour away by car commuting distance. The best of the Connecticut shoreline for someone in the Hartford area will Branford, and Guilford. Clinton and Westbrook about 15 minutes longer.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:36 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I agree with Skytrekker. If you want the coast stay east of New Haven. Beautiful towns with a lot of offer. Jay

Old 02-24-2008, 12:49 AM

49 posts, read 200,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
If in Hartford, the coast will be about an hour away by car commuting distance. The best of the Connecticut shoreline for someone in the Hartford area will Branford, and Guilford. Clinton and Westbrook about 15 minutes longer.
sorry I'm a little late getting in on this, but I just joined and saw this thread and wated to put in my $.02.
I love living in Branford. You mentioned grocery stores as an issue with Guilford (although like Jay said, as long as you live closer to the center of town that's really not an issue. There's a HUGE Big Y right on Route 1), but in Branford there's a big chain grocery store on each end of town (A&P on the west side and Stop & Shop on the east side) and a smaller store near the center of town (a mom & pop type store, if you will, Caron's Corner). There's a nice town green where there's an annual festival that brings out most of the town between Friday night and Sunday afternoon on Father's Day weekend. I'd say Branford has a good school system. I'd suggest at least looking it up, look up real estate for sale to see if you can get what you're looking for in your price range (imo, I think you can, but look to make sure), and generally see if it's a place you'd want to live.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 PM

37 posts, read 112,613 times
You sound just like me! I live in Clinton and am a SAHM with a 2 and 1 yr old. I would LOVE to live in W. Hartford, but my husband works in North Haven. Guilford would be my second choice. The coast is great to be near, but I've found that it is still not that far to drive to from just about anywhere in the state. It takes me 45-50 minutes to drive to West Hartford (the only decent mall I've been to since living here.) But, I'm not a big shopper so it isn't that big of a deal. Guilford doesn't have your staples of stores- no Target, Home Depot, etc. (Neither does CLinton). It does get old, especially with gas creeping up so high. I live just minutes from the beach and go about once a week, but would still prefer to live in W. Hartford if it were possible.

There are great weekend trips and lots of outdoor things to do here. We just spent a weekend in Northern Vermont- awesome snow, beautiful and just a 4 hour drive from the shoreline. CT has and awesome state park system too. We buy a pass every year and try out a new hike every wknd.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
West Hartford. Close to downtown Hartford, not far from New Haven or NYC or Boston. Close to the mountains in Southern Vt, and close to the beach. Best bet for the urban style of your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut