Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:05 PM

18 posts, read 16,418 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into completing a second graduate program (part time) while doing my time in CT.

The campus most proximate to me (CCSU) is highly disappointing, based on the research I've done. They aren't selective at all, have subpar admission statistics, yet have a tuition higher than that of my alma mater (UT Austin--one of the very top public universities in the country).

The other state universities--WCSU and ECSU--are even worse. I realize UConn is statistically on-par with UT, but let's face it...the campus is in the middle of a cow pasture (not to mention much less 'bang for your buck' in terms of tuition).

I assumed such a supposedly well educated state would have better state universities. Why is this not the case? I suppose this explains why the economy is so stagnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:11 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,720,481 times
Ha I never really think about if they are good or bad. Do think about the cost. The cost is ridiculous. Also for us second degree students we are limited with aid due to federal grant being cut and only eligible for one of the federal aid. Then if you do the CC for nursing there is no guarantee of a job because the state wants nurses to have Bachelor's.

Really the goverment should at least make CC free, more work study programs and lower the cost of tuition/cap it.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:44 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,628,351 times
Alright I'll play:

I can't speak for Eastern as I'm nowhere near it, but Central, Western and Southern hve good nursing programs. Southern's education, social work, speech pathology, and recreation programs have had strong reputations for years. I don't know "selective" you want them to be - I go more on how good the program is. The tuition, I can't argue with you over - welcome to CT.

I will say - having gone to school in the midwest - that there is a strong pride in the state universities and they take priority over private universities. I don't think CT is as good about that. Still, I believe the education is strong and the stagnant economy is not related to it. Personally, I'd like to see the UCONN branches be like every other state's branches and offer living arrangements and more four year degrees. I could see it happen at UCONN Waterbury and I could TOTALLY see it happen at UCONN Stamford.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:20 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,970,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Alright I'll play:

I can't speak for Eastern as I'm nowhere near it, but Central, Western and Southern hve good nursing programs. Southern's education, social work, speech pathology, and recreation programs have had strong reputations for years. I don't know "selective" you want them to be - I go more on how good the program is. The tuition, I can't argue with you over - welcome to CT.

I will say - having gone to school in the midwest - that there is a strong pride in the state universities and they take priority over private universities. I don't think CT is as good about that. Still, I believe the education is strong and the stagnant economy is not related to it. Personally, I'd like to see the UCONN branches be like every other state's branches and offer living arrangements and more four year degrees. I could see it happen at UCONN Waterbury and I could TOTALLY see it happen at UCONN Stamford.
agreed - I think for a long time, UConn (and also UMass and URI) have taken a backseat to private colleges - Yale, Trinity, Wesleyan in CT, and Harvard, BC, BU, MIT, and many others in Mass, Brown and PC in Rhode Island, etc.

I think UConn, at least, has improved over the past 10 years or so, though it can still get better.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:27 PM

21,655 posts, read 31,274,367 times
Oh look, yet another anti-CT post from the OP.

Just leave, dude. You won't be missed.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:42 PM

34,975 posts, read 57,065,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_JJWatt99 View Post
I've been looking into completing a second graduate program (part time) while doing my time in CT.

The campus most proximate to me (CCSU) is highly disappointing, based on the research I've done. They aren't selective at all, have subpar admission statistics, yet have a tuition higher than that of my alma mater (UT Austin--one of the very top public universities in the country).

The other state universities--WCSU and ECSU--are even worse. I realize UConn is statistically on-par with UT, but let's face it...the campus is in the middle of a cow pasture (not to mention much less 'bang for your buck' in terms of tuition).

I assumed such a supposedly well educated state would have better state universities. Why is this not the case? I suppose this explains why the economy is so stagnant.
I am not sure what you expect. You are comparing Connecticut's second tier public university to Texas' top school. Unfair comparison. Remember Connecticut is a small state. We have three tiers of public colleges. UConn is at the top. The state universities are in the middle and community colleges are for the rest. Also note while UConn is in the small town of Mansfield it is hardly a "cow pasture". It is not that far from many parts of the state. Plus UConn has campuses in West Hartford, Waterbury, Stamford and Groton.

Connecticut is one of the most educated states in the country despite what you think. There are certainly more education opportunities here in our tiny state than in the large state you come from.

As for the economy here, we are a mature state, which means we do not have room for the massive sprawl growth you have in Texas. You say you are "doing time" which I would assume means you are working here. If the economy is so great in Texas what are you doing here complaining? And last time I looked we were one of the wealthiest states in the country. Texas was not. So instead of complaining and making unfair comparisons, be fair and realize you are living in one of the greatest parts of our country. Take advantage of it. Jay

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM

660 posts, read 659,629 times
UCONN is a good school. It may not be as good as UVA, UNC, or Michigan Ann Arbor. but it still a good, underrated school.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 PM

660 posts, read 659,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_JJWatt99 View Post

You are from Texas? How was living in Texas? Once I graduate college, Texas would be a place I would like to live.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 PM

This is a joke, right?

If you want to compare apples to apples, okay. Granted, Rice isn't in the same league as Yale (obviously), but is certainly one of the most prestigious academic institutions in the country.

Our top public university? UConn is a good school, but UT Austin constantly is higher ranked (not to mention located in a FAR more attractive place than Storrs..LOL). Top notch Engineering, Business, Law and Med schools, just to name a few. I won't even mention the superiority of Longhorn sports...

Beyond that...let's see. CT has the state universities I mentioned--all of which are highly mediocre and not selective at all (a 2.7-3.0 GPA is more than fine for admission, from my research). Texas has...Texas A&M, Baylor, SMU, TCU, UH..just to name a few. All of which are ranked FAR higher and are far more competitive than said CT state universities (not to mention that most have top-ranked athletic programs, as well). So much for your theory regarding 'more educational opportunities' in CT

I won't even get into how superior the job prospects are for TX graduates. Numbers don't lie, in spite of your all too obvious bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure what you expect. You are comparing Connecticut's second tier public university to Texas' top school. Unfair comparison. Remember Connecticut is a small state. We have three tiers of public colleges. UConn is at the top. The state universities are in the middle and community colleges are for the rest. Also note while UConn is in the small town of Mansfield it is hardly a "cow pasture". It is not that far from many parts of the state. Plus UConn has campuses in West Hartford, Waterbury, Stamford and Groton.

Connecticut is one of the most educated states in the country despite what you think. There are certainly more education opportunities here in our tiny state than in the large state you come from.

As for the economy here, we are a mature state, which means we do not have room for the massive sprawl growth you have in Texas. You say you are "doing time" which I would assume means you are working here. If the economy is so great in Texas what are you doing here complaining? And last time I looked we were one of the wealthiest states in the country. Texas was not. So instead of complaining and making unfair comparisons, be fair and realize you are living in one of the greatest parts of our country. Take advantage of it. Jay

Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 PM

It's actually rather great. Low taxes, great housing stock, amazing roads, incredible food, tons of jobs, perfect weather six months out of the year, and very few whiny liberal-types. The only reason I'm here (for 2-3 years max) is that I'm able to work in a department of my company that doesn't exist in TX. Basically, it's for the sake of diversification of my resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
You are from Texas? How was living in Texas? Once I graduate college, Texas would be a place I would like to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut