Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:23 AM

67 posts, read 152,269 times

Advertisements

I live in Burlington, CT.. I have read some of the posts on lawn care on this site and found it useful.

Last year I hired trugreen, this year I'm hoping to do it myself..

I have two questions for the community

1) When do you typically apply the initial crabgrass prevention? I assume it is still too early. My understanding from my online research is that soil temp should be around 55-60.. Since the night temps are still dipping below freezing, I assume it is still too early right?

2) Which do you use for your initial spring application Scotts turf builder vs Lesco vs Agway (sort of step 1 with crabgrass prevention+some fertilizer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 09:29 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
I usually do it at the beginning of May.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I know our local hardware store recommends Scotts and the neighbors I know that follow their advice have excellent lawns. I would recommend you talk to your local store to see what they say. I know it is soon. Also our area has grubs and I also know you have to get that down early as well or your lawn will get destroyed. Personally we stuck with a service. I do not have time to do it myself and the price when we did one year was not that much less. Jay

Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Jay, you are right about it.. I'm skipping aeration this year and planning to do it every other year.. The Trugreen quote was around 700 (includes aeration) which I thought was quite high. We have around 10-15000sqft grass. I'm hoping to keep it around 200 this year without the aeration

Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docyale View Post
Jay, you are right about it.. I'm skipping aeration this year and planning to do it every other year.. The Trugreen quote was around 700 (includes aeration) which I thought was quite high. We have around 10-15000sqft grass. I'm hoping to keep it around 200 this year without the aeration
$700 is insane. We have about the same area and I got a quote from Scott's (it is a service that uses Scott lawn products) for $45 per treatment for 6 treatments. That does not include an additional $45 for grub control. That would be about $315 for the year. Not bad IMHO. Shop around. Jay

Old 03-29-2016, 12:18 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Follow the Scotts steps and thats all you need.

Also add, reseed and mow in leaves into the schedule

And consider more Fescue for grass type for us in CT.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:24 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
$700 is insane. We have about the same area and I got a quote from Scott's (it is a service that uses Scott lawn products) for $45 per treatment for 6 treatments. That does not include an additional $45 for grub control. That would be about $315 for the year. Not bad IMHO. Shop around. Jay
agreed - I used to do it myself, and then I got some quotes to have somebody do it once after my daughter was born... and I realized that they were about the same price as I was paying buying the fertilizer at Home Depot and Lowe's and spreading it myself with a crappy plastic spreader. I figured having professionals do it with their machines was way more efficient than I could ever get doing it with one of those cheap spreaders and for the same price.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:17 AM

will get some quotes.. Thanks to all..

Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
I will be putting my Step 1 down next week. It's all part of a day of lawn equipment maintenance, winter equipment storage, etc.

First I recommend if you have not to get a quick clean up of leaves/sticks/debris on the lawn, then a discharge mow to clear out any leftover leaves and grass that has started to grow. Follow that up with an aeration of your choice, I did core last year and will do spike this time. Then drop the Step 1, with Spring happening early this year and my grass already livening up and warm temps it's time.

I also went to Agway to get their brand of 4 steps on sale now for $130, great buy. I actually find it does a better job than Scott's for my lawn. If you want any other advice hit me up, I'm a lawncare fanatic.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Also our area has grubs and I also know you have to get that down early as well or your lawn will get destroyed. Jay
My lawn is getting destroyed by moles/voles digging tunnels. I understand they are going after the grubs. When should I lay down grub control ? I will have to try it this year.

My cat can only catch so many moles/voles and she can't keep up. Maybe I should get more cats instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut