Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,536 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, for those of you who don't know, I looked at moving to CA. Hated every second I was there...

Now, I'm settling down in CT and my fiancee and I are house hunting. We were pre approved and going through the process of approval. Our pre approval is for $275,000 and we have approx 30k to put down so far. I'm new to all of this lol...

I'm looking pretty close at Orange. One of us works in Fairfield County and the other works in New Haven. Taking the train is not an option. I figure Orange is good because it's affordable, nice and safe. The commute to Fairfield will suck but I don't think it's bad. Also looked at Milford but the houses I liked didn't have enough yard.

Anyway looking in the area of Racebook Road...can anyone confirm this is a good area? Drove around and checked it out, loved the area. Probably going to be submitting an offer soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 PM

642 posts, read 859,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Hey guys, for those of you who don't know, I looked at moving to CA. Hated every second I was there...

Now, I'm settling down in CT and my fiancee and I are house hunting. We were pre approved and going through the process of approval. Our pre approval is for $275,000 and we have approx 30k to put down so far. I'm new to all of this lol...

I'm looking pretty close at Orange. One of us works in Fairfield County and the other works in New Haven. Taking the train is not an option. I figure Orange is good because it's affordable, nice and safe. The commute to Fairfield will suck but I don't think it's bad. Also looked at Milford but the houses I liked didn't have enough yard.

Anyway looking in the area of Racebook Road...can anyone confirm this is a good area? Drove around and checked it out, loved the area. Probably going to be submitting an offer soon...
My aunt lives off Grassy Hill Road and IMO (and hers) that is a very good area. I remember taking Racebrook road down into the Milford/Orange area to go shopping at the Christmas Tree shops. It takes you by the Golf Course and I always comment "this is a really nice area".

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 08-28-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 04:55 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:

There aren't any bad areas in Orange.

Orange to Fairfield commute will suck? LOL. I'd love to have a commute that easy. If it really bothers you though, perhaps you should consider checking out Shelton(Huntington)?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Congrats on your impending purchase. Racebrook is a bit busy, if I recall, but it's also in a very convenient location.

Agreed that orange is pretty nice overall - it's just a matter of certain areas being nicer than other nice areas.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Thanks everyone!...the house we're looking at is in a neighborhood OFF Racebrook, so not right on that busy road. Approval should come by this weekend and might make the offer Monday!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone!...the house we're looking at is in a neighborhood OFF Racebrook, so not right on that busy road. Approval should come by this weekend and might make the offer Monday!

You mean Tuesday.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You mean Tuesday.
Yeah true. lol, we looked at Shelton too as well as Seymour but I like how close to shopping Orange is, plus we like the restaurants in NH so it works! It doesn't hurt that it's a pretty attractive town too. Wish we could afford Woodbridge but we scratched that off the list pretty fast.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 PM

242 posts, read 299,383 times
Dw and I are looking all over with a similar budget. The couple issues with orange I have are development and taxes. I think it was orange who fought hard against stew leonard's, but there are plenty of other large retailers in town. The other issue is some of the houses seem to have high property tax. Then again- most of the area towns have the same problem.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisluvs View Post
Dw and I are looking all over with a similar budget. The couple issues with orange I have are development and taxes. I think it was orange who fought hard against stew leonard's, but there are plenty of other large retailers in town. The other issue is some of the houses seem to have high property tax. Then again- most of the area towns have the same problem.
Yeah there are other nice towns with lower taxes...Shelton, Oxford, but Oxford is a little out of the way for our commute and seems to be mostly residential with no shopping. Shelton's nice but we like to be closer to stuff. And the only other towns that have lower taxes are Darien and New Canaan, lol...

Im not a fan of the look of Orange and Milford's development and the traffic it brings, but it's really convenient.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,208,051 times
Great area. Wife and I live down the road off rte 34.......behind The Field View Farm near Grassy Hill Rd. We use Racebrook a lot to get to rte 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut