Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 PM

854 posts, read 1,243,473 times

Advertisements

I for one am proud of the senator's stance against the NRA.

C-SPAN 2 Live Stream | C-SPAN.org

Old 06-16-2016, 06:31 AM

226 posts, read 258,640 times
I stayed up late watching. Now they need a vote!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:07 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,950,589 times
I'm no fan of Murphy, but if he can put together a bill that prevents potential terrorists from buying guns and addresses due process concerns, then I appluad him. And it looks like there is bi-partisan support, which is great. I honestly was pretty discouraged at the response to the Orlando massacre, with both sides trying to score political points by simplistically pointing the finger at various groups. The reality, as we are beginning to understand, is much more complicated. So if there is actually bi-partisan legislation put forward to address this issue, than a bit of my faith in the political system will be restored.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I am proud that they did this too. It is time we face the fact that gun control of some sort, stricter than the current laws, is needed. Jay

Old 06-16-2016, 08:24 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,745,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am proud that they did this too. It is time we face the fact that gun control of some sort, stricter than the current laws, is needed. Jay

Jay.........how exactly would a new/stricter gun law prevent the Orlando massacre-------or Newtown, Aurora, San Bernardino, etc??

Criminals will always be able to get firearms no matter what laws are on the books.

Its NOT about guns, its about stopping evil people from doing harm. Blaming the guns for mass shootings is like blaming Toyota for drunk drivers.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:56 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,317,951 times
There is no bill in the world that would have prevented this. If he legally couldn't own a firearm because he was on the terror watch list then there are many ways he could get it illegally. There are too many guns in this country. The black market is strong and illegal gun manufacturing is strong.

Banning guns doesn't help the problem as only law abiding citizens are affected. There is no true solution to this.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
There is no bill in the world that would have prevented this. If he legally couldn't own a firearm because he was on the terror watch list then there are many ways he could get it illegally. There are too many guns in this country. The black market is strong and illegal gun manufacturing is strong.
Precisely.

By that logic, wearing a seat belt will not 100% guarantee that you will not die in a car crash. So let's not require folks to wear seat belts, because they may die anyway.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,424,170 times
We've certainly seen how little strict gun control can accomplish, because CT gun laws have done nothing since sandy hook to curb gun related violence ( which is already very low in CT anyway since we don't have as many hood rats as elsewhere).

I would love nothing more than for terrorists to not have guns, but even if we had implemented no guns policy for people on terror list, this scum still would have got the gun because, well, he's been off the list since 2014! There definitely needs to be a lot of transparency and sound methodology to the criteria for being on "the list" as well.

According to liberals, white gun owning males who are in favor of small centralized governments are one of the strongest profiles for being a terrorist. I'd laugh , but I'm not joking. So am I on a list?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:14 AM

789 posts, read 703,747 times
Amazing how politicians and sheeple look at what happened in Orlando and actually think a piece of legislation on guns is the answer. To believe that shows a complete lack of understanding of the WILL of the individual who did this or the individuals that plot these things. Cognitive dissonance.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Amazing how politicians and sheeple look at what happened in Orlando and actually think a piece of legislation on guns is the answer.
Nobody said this will be a cure-all for gun violence. But to argue that people who are not allowed to fly should be allowed to have guns is a symptom of DSM-5-level insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut