Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:46 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
^ This a thousand times ^

Dude, if you can afford Greenwich, then you're better off than MOST of us here in CT.
You basically living in Connecticut Beverley hills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
We lived in Greenwich and weren't that impressed. Its a nice town that has its issues; blowing budgets on a pool that no one goes to, schools on the west side of town, Old Greenwich flooding & an old Civic center, and the housing stock in byram and pemberwick should all be bulldozed.
Bulldozed? Don't you think that's a wee bit harsh? Or are the plebeians living in that housing stock you want to knock down sullying your trip to the market as you walk about town? I'm not getting what your point is?

Maybe you should go live in Calabasas by the media hungry Kardashians.

...And really not a single solitary person has used that pool, or just not the snobs????

Old 07-26-2016, 02:16 PM

786 posts, read 824,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Bulldozed? Don't you think that's a wee bit harsh? Or are the plebeians living in that housing stock you want to knock down sullying your trip to the market as you walk about town? I'm not getting what your point is?

Maybe you should go live in Calabasas by the media hungry Kardashians.

...And really not a single solitary person has used that pool, or just not the snobs????
Yes, technically the folks over in Port Chester use the pool by sneaking in.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:50 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Westport has been a much better place for us. Its great for families.
We all know you love Westport, but I find it to be far less worldly than Greenwich. The diversity (economic and racial) is what makes Greenwich an amazing place to live.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:57 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Southampton, NY..

Old 07-26-2016, 04:12 PM

312 posts, read 268,527 times
Main Line (Philadelphia Suburb in PA), which has very walkable towns like Wayne, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Ardmore. Wayne and Ardmore are the most like Greenwich Ave since you have some local and high end stores. Ardmore has Suburban Square, almost like The Grove in LA but less congested and not as large. Lots of high end retailers (lulu lemon, Kate Spade, Barbour, had a pop up Vineyard Vines, Apple Store, Lilly Pulitzer) as well as lots of restaurants. Its like a concentrated shopping downtown center. But there is no real Greenwich Ave anywhere else in the US besides Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, Wisconsin Ave in Georgetown, or Worth Ave in Palm Beach. The thing about the Main Line is that most of the high end stores are at The King of Prussia Mall (2nd largest mall in America), which is 15 min from downtown Wayne and 25-30 min from Ardmore. So if you are looking for a Ralph Lauren, Saks 5th, Michael Kors kind of "main street," you won't get that here. But the downtowns are really cute and very homey with local restaurants, boutiques, bakeries, and sporting goods stores. And KOP is very close so you can still accomplish the goal of expensive retailers there.

As for taxes, because the Main Line is a large area of concentrated wealth, taxes are going to be high but they are nothing compared to CT. The difference between CT and PA is that in PA, there is no car tax. So your home tax will a bit higher. I know in Greenwich, home taxes are low compared to bordering NY counties partially because they tax you on your car. But, you get a lot more for your money when it comes to home values. A 3 bed, 2 bath in Greenwich can easily go 1+ mil. But on the Main Line, you can get the same house for around 700-800 mil. Still expensive and pricey but you get the same house for less. Also, the Main Line stretches for 20 miles down Route 30 so home values vary depending on the township and town you choose to reside in. I recommend Radnor Township (downtown Wayne).

Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Since the largest expenditure of any towns budget support the local school district.... Greenwich's real estate taxes benefit from the fact that 25% of the school aged students go to private schools ... and close to 30% go private.. boarding and day schools.. at the high school level.... which is the highest percentage in the state and one of the highest in the country.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
Main Line (Philadelphia Suburb in PA), which has very walkable towns like Wayne, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Ardmore. Wayne and Ardmore are the most like Greenwich Ave since you have some local and high end stores. Ardmore has Suburban Square, almost like The Grove in LA but less congested and not as large. Lots of high end retailers (lulu lemon, Kate Spade, Barbour, had a pop up Vineyard Vines, Apple Store, Lilly Pulitzer) as well as lots of restaurants. Its like a concentrated shopping downtown center. But there is no real Greenwich Ave anywhere else in the US besides Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, Wisconsin Ave in Georgetown, or Worth Ave in Palm Beach. The thing about the Main Line is that most of the high end stores are at The King of Prussia Mall (2nd largest mall in America), which is 15 min from downtown Wayne and 25-30 min from Ardmore. So if you are looking for a Ralph Lauren, Saks 5th, Michael Kors kind of "main street," you won't get that here. But the downtowns are really cute and very homey with local restaurants, boutiques, bakeries, and sporting goods stores. And KOP is very close so you can still accomplish the goal of expensive retailers there.

As for taxes, because the Main Line is a large area of concentrated wealth, taxes are going to be high but they are nothing compared to CT. The difference between CT and PA is that in PA, there is no car tax. So your home tax will a bit higher. I know in Greenwich, home taxes are low compared to bordering NY counties partially because they tax you on your car. But, you get a lot more for your money when it comes to home values. A 3 bed, 2 bath in Greenwich can easily go 1+ mil. But on the Main Line, you can get the same house for around 700-800 mil. Still expensive and pricey but you get the same house for less. Also, the Main Line stretches for 20 miles down Route 30 so home values vary depending on the township and town you choose to reside in. I recommend Radnor Township (downtown Wayne).
Wow 700-800 mill! Just kidding.. Seriously though I miss the main line and also Chestnut Hill where I lived for a few years in college (still dream about Chestnut Hill coffee.. Cake, etc..). However, after living in CT I don't think the Philly burbs can compete with the NY burbs, except in lower cost of living. Suburban square is great but still has that artificial feel, and KOP was always a pain to get into and out of. Also loved Philly but 5 years during and post college was well more than enough for me. The traffic there was also the only place I have lived that's as bad as here!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We all know you love Westport, but I find it to be far less worldly than Greenwich. The diversity (economic and racial) is what makes Greenwich an amazing place to live.
"I'm bareley white enough to stay in a hotel in Greenwich"
DA McCoy from Law and Order

Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanelgirl View Post
Not working, looking for some public transportation, don't drive, walking down where I can shop high end. CT is out due to high taxes, not property but everything else. That's why 900 homes are up for sale in Greenwich. Seems all of CT is trying to move. Looking for reasonable taxes, not high like NYS.
Seriously anywhere fancy enough for you will need a car..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut