Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 12:55 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,364 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give opinions and experiences about safety at the station?

Specifically what would it be like for a 5'3" female on her own to arrive on the Peter Pan bus around 11:30 PM or midnight on a Sunday night? There would be a friend picking up in a car. Is there a police or security guard presence? Is the area well lit? Are there safe waiting areas? I know that there are train or bus stations in NYC or Boston where this would be safe enough with the number of travelers around, but what about Hartford?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Can anyone give opinions and experiences about safety at the station?

Specifically what would it be like for a 5'3" female on her own to arrive on the Peter Pan bus around 11:30 PM or midnight on a Sunday night? There would be a friend picking up in a car. Is there a police or security guard presence? Is the area well lit? Are there safe waiting areas? I know that there are train or bus stations in NYC or Boston where this would be safe enough with the number of travelers around, but what about Hartford?

Thanks in advance.
You should be fine. There are vendors and small restaurants like a Dunkin Donuts inside that may be open. There's a good amount of people around at all times but at midnight there's a small amount of people around since the bus terminal shares the same building with its train terminal. The waiting areas are safe with cameras, some lights, and benches. There may be some homeless people wandering around like any other major city as well as the small chance of moochers but I wouldn't worry. Police drive around the area occasionally since the highway is nearby as well as the city police department headquarters. I highly doubt you'll be alone since there will be people in the same boat as you waiting for a ride.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:35 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,364 times
Thanks for the quick response, maybe my concerns are based on dated information? Not long ago I heard someone talking about living in Hartford 28 years ago and seeing lots of drug dealers and addicts.

This website with its high crime statistics didn't help either.
Hartford, CT Crime Rates & Statistics
Hartford, CT crime rate is 147% higher than the Connecticut average and is 80% higher than the national average. Looking at violent crime specifically, Hartford, CT has a violent crime rate that is 366% higher than the Connecticut average and 202% higher than the national average
◦Hartford is safer than 5% of the cities in the United States.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 06:16 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 02:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Thanks for the quick response, maybe my concerns are based on dated information? Not long ago I heard someone talking about living in Hartford 28 years ago and seeing lots of drug dealers and addicts.

This website with its high crime statistics didn't help either.
Hartford, CT Crime Rates & Statistics
Hartford, CT crime rate is 147% higher than the Connecticut average and is 80% higher than the national average. Looking at violent crime specifically, Hartford, CT has a violent crime rate that is 366% higher than the Connecticut average and 202% higher than the national average
◦Hartford is safer than 5% of the cities in the United StatesModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Hartford does have a bad reputation when it comes to crime but it has improved quite a bit since the 80's. While drugs are very common, as long as you don't get involved with the dealers and addicts then you're fine. I've lived in the West End for more than 30 years and I suggest that you don't get near them, talk to them, or give eye contact. Use your judgement to guess who may up to no good. Most of the crime such as murders and assaults are happening in a few neighborhoods particularly in the North End which isn't close to Union Station. The bus terminal is right outside downtown which is usually the busiest area when it comes to the amount of cops and foot traffic. Downtown and the West End are the safest in the city. I've walked around every part of the city at night except the North End and felt no threat whatsoever. Just avoid dark alleys and corners, crowds of people that you suspect are up to no good, and hide all valuables out of plain sight. Maybe have a conversation with someone while on the bus ride and you guys may end up continue talking while waiting for your rides.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 06:16 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
I wouldn't worry about it. The area is relatively safe. There are clubs and restaurants that are less than a block away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: