Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,794 times

Advertisements

Shippan as neighborhood is really nice but the downside is you have to drive through crap to get to/from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
you're cherry picking the low end. Nice try though.
See below, two recent solds (in just 43 and 74 days), and one currently under contract.
I have lived in this hood extensively in the past and it's most definitely up to par with Wilton Rd.
I'm sure I can find the same in Rowayton and Shippan but can't be bothered anymore, you get the point.
Out

Property Details - Listingbook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't disagree that traffic in downtown Ridgefield can be heavy. It's way different than vehicles blasting by at 50 mph as you're trying to eat at a restaurant outside, though.

Also, in Ridgefield, you can get a gallon of milk (or whatever, really) in 6-7 minutes from most areas of town. The time it'll take sitting at lights in Fairfield probably equals the travel time along more rural roads in Ridgefield.

I agree that Ridgefield is more "bucolic".
Traffic does not "blast" by at 50 miles per hour on the Post Road (Route 1). Now who is being dramatic??? And you do not have to necessarily sit at lights to go out and grab a gallon of milk somewhere. There are many places around town near to different neighborhoods that you can that and other essentials.

Each town has its good points and its bad. If the OP wants a more dense suburban area with more options for shopping and entertainment, then Fairfield MAY be a better option for them. If they want a more small town atmosphere but still be near most of their everyday needs, then Ridgefield MAY be the better option. it is all personal preference and only the OP can determine that.

One thing I will say in Ridgefield's favor, it is closer to one of the state's best malls, Danbury Fair. It certainly is better than Trumbull's mall. IF the OP likes mall shopping, they ight want to take that into consideration as well. Jay

Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Traffic does not "blast" by at 50 miles per hour on the Post Road (Route 1). Now who is being dramatic???
Believe it or not, it does. Go sit there and see for yourself. It's four lanes of traffic and when people try to beat the light, they fly. Either way, it's almost impossible to hold a conversation with someone sitting directly across from you.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:14 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Shippan as neighborhood is really nice but the downside is you have to drive through crap to get to/from it.
I still can't believe how dumpy the entire Cove area is. It's super trashy even by the water. Probably a good investment though. It has to bounce back soon?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM

One would think. As a physical locale, it could be incredible.

Would need a bulldozer to make that work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I still can't believe how dumpy the entire Cove area is. It's super trashy even by the water. Probably a good investment though. It has to bounce back soon?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
For $ 500k-750k range I think Jersey offers better values for Manhattan commuters than FFC for a 15-year time horizon. For longer time, CT would win, if taxes stay relative.

If you get two 40k cars, property tax is a wash.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:56 PM

109 posts, read 161,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Believe it or not, it does. Go sit there and see for yourself. It's four lanes of traffic and when people try to beat the light, they fly. Either way, it's almost impossible to hold a conversation with someone sitting directly across from you.
Absolutely correct!
Try sitting outside at Martel just down the road from where kidyankee was and you'll witness this. The intersection at Sasco Hill Rd is really dangerous, cars are jumping red lights there at high speed almost every time.
Otherwise sitting outside at these restaurants would be really pleasant - I try to block the traffic out!

Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
For $ 500k-750k range I think Jersey offers better values for Manhattan commuters than FFC for a 15-year time horizon. For longer time, CT would win, if taxes stay relative.

If you get two 40k cars, property tax is a wash.
The problem with New Jersey is that even if you live close to Manhattan, the commute is long. Most trains require a switch in either Jersey City or Hoboken because of the limited tunnel capacity under the Hudson. I could not believe how long it took to get into Manhattan by train or how overcrowded and uncomfortable they were when I lived there and from my conversations with friends there not much has changed since. This is why so many Manhattan commuters look north and east instead of having to deal with crossing the river. Christie killed the tunnel project that would have helped change it but he had no alternative. I think that was a very shortsighted move on his part and really turned me off to his leadership ability. That price range in some of the nicer towns/cities near Manhattan do not get you much. Of course it is a buyers choice. Jay

Old 08-25-2016, 02:13 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
Absolutely correct!
Try sitting outside at Martel just down the road from where kidyankee was and you'll witness this. The intersection at Sasco Hill Rd is really dangerous, cars are jumping red lights there at high speed almost every time.
Otherwise sitting outside at these restaurants would be really pleasant - I try to block the traffic out!
I'm at this intersection on a near daily basis. They absolutely do fly by, anybody who denies this must live upstate.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 PM

...that it is New Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem with New Jersey is ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut