Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 03:29 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The problem with New Jersey is that even if you live close to Manhattan, the commute is long. Most trains require a switch in either Jersey City or Hoboken because of the limited tunnel capacity under the Hudson. I could not believe how long it took to get into Manhattan by train or how overcrowded and uncomfortable they were when I lived there and from my conversations with friends there not much has changed since. This is why so many Manhattan commuters look north and east instead of having to deal with crossing the river. Christie killed the tunnel project that would have helped change it but he had no alternative. I think that was a very shortsighted move on his part and really turned me off to his leadership ability. That price range in some of the nicer towns/cities near Manhattan do not get you much. Of course it is a buyers choice. Jay
Many nice towns in NJ actually have direct service to Penn Station, without switching trains. Summit Line, or Princeton Line or Jersey Shore line.

Others have NJ Transit Buses to 42nd St Bus Terminal. Bergen County towns for example, Ridgewood, Mahwah, Ramsey.

I am talking about up to 45 minute ride. At the 500k-750k budget.

Take Westfield, NJ for example. An excellent beautiful town. No direct line to Penn Station, but you ride the train for 20 minutes to Newark, and you can switch across the platform to another 20 minutes to Penn Station, or take the Path to downtown. Or take the 45 minute bus ride to Manhattan.

No town in CT can offer that, at that price point 500k-750k.

For same budget, same commute -- you just get better deals / schools in Jersey than CT. City is also closer to drive in on weekends for those shows, events, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
...that it is New Jersey.
You don't need much to get a NYer to bad-mount Jersey (me in this case), but you can't deny that if we go beyond stereotypes and prejudices, NJ has a lot to offer for suburban living to a Manhattan commuter.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Many nice towns in NJ actually have direct service to Penn Station, without switching trains. Summit Line, or Princeton Line or Jersey Shore line.

Others have NJ Transit Buses to 42nd St Bus Terminal. Bergen County towns for example, Ridgewood, Mahwah, Ramsey.

I am talking about up to 45 minute ride. At the 500k-750k budget.

Take Westfield, NJ for example. An excellent beautiful town. No direct line to Penn Station, but you ride the train for 20 minutes to Newark, and you can switch across the platform to another 20 minutes to Penn Station, or take the Path to downtown. Or take the 45 minute bus ride to Manhattan.

For same budget, same commute -- you just get better deals / schools in Jersey than CT. City is also closer to drive in on weekends for those shows, events, etc.
There are very few direct trains and making the switches you mention are chaotic. Hoards of commuters running to catch their next train like a stampede of cattle. Plus Penn Station in New York is completely inadequate for the number of commuters it serves. The buses going in take forever as buses must sit in traffic to wait their turn to get to a tunnel. I also know the towns that you mention very well and they are nice but again the commute into Manhattan is a nightmare instead of the more relaxing one seat commutes available on other approaches to the city. Jay

Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM

570 posts, read 477,959 times
Quote:

For same budget, same commute -- you just get better deals / schools in Jersey than CT.
You are talking my territory now, friend. Born and raised in NJ and I lived in Westfield. Westfield is a nice town but snobbsville plus a decent (not great) 700k house will have a 17k tax bill..no thanks. I did that commute everyday to Manhattan for nearly five years and you are grossly romanticizing the $h!t show that is NJT. The bus from Westfield is jam packed during peak hours with no seats, not to mention that your "45m ride" to NYC has to hope there are no accidents on North Ave, GSP, 78 and Turnpike. You also have the worst backups going into the Lincoln tunnel helix. That 45m was 1.5 hours or worse 2 times a week. It is a stressful ride. I had several buses get into accidents on the ramp overlooking turnpike. A truck would have sent us toppling over the side. Raritan Valley train line? Please..you forgot to mention the 10m stuck waiting for late Amtrak trains to pass us into going into Newark..or the NYC connecting trains that skip Newark when full..or the congestion in Penn Station tunnel that adds 10-15m daily. I lived close to westfield train and most days, it was 1hr 10m door to door to Penn. I live in Fairfield now and can do 1 hr 20m door to door to GCT but my house is very nice, under 600k and only 9k tax bill. Fairfield also much more to offer and not as densely packed..plus Westfield schools area overrated. You pay through nose but their rankings have fallen compared to elite NJ schools. Bye NJ..

I learned a long time ago to always take the single seat ride to NYC. A "45m" commute with transfer points is assuredly worse than 65m with none. I remember a Ridgefield house tour operator mouthing about Ridgefields 1 hour train to NYC being "easy". I told her "how long does it take to get downtown from here? Answer 10m. And how long is bus ride from Ridgefield to Katonah? Answer 30m...now add time to park, getting on off bus etc and you are assuredly looking at 2 hours each way. Shut her up quickly.

Last edited by CT_Yank; 08-26-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
I live in Fairfield now and can do 1 hr 20m door to door to GCT
Correct. Train ride from Fairfield to GCT is about 1:20 minutes, without delays. But that's just the MetroNorth ride. If you work downtown, your commute might be over 2 hours door-to-door easy.

I took the bus from Westfield several times when I lived there, and did not have your experience. It was about 45 minutes in most days. And I got a seat.

I used the train a lot more. From Westfield to WTC it is about 45-50 minutes train and Path. I did that most of the time. To Penn Station, it is about the same, with switching in Newark.

OTOH Summit NJT goes right thru to Penn Station. 45 minutes dead on. Did that a few times.

Yes, NJ taxes are higher, but NJ does not have car property tax. For a couple of nice sedans in CT you might be looking at 2-3k a year in car taxes. Many people choose to pay more taxes in NJ for shorter commutes.

For OP's budget, and 45-60 minute commute, Jersey has betters option.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:23 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,656 times
Aww I'm just pokin' fun. I used to live in NJ, so I feel like I'm qualified to talk at least a little about it!

The waterfront views of the Manhattan skyline from the NJ side are incomparable. Absolutely stunning.

We have lots of friends from various points in NJ, all of whom work in Manhattan. If you work downtown, the NJ commute is terrific, provided no train issues.

Quote:
You don't need much to get a NYer to bad-mount Jersey (me in this case), but you can't deny that if we go beyond stereotypes and prejudices, NJ has a lot to offer for suburban living to a Manhattan commuter.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,596 times
Default Neighborhood scout

I like neighborhoodscout.com. you can compare crime and school info between towns, get reports on individual schools, etc. It has an annual fee, $20 or something similar. Also liked niche, which is less detailed but free. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2016, 12:01 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benandlanasmom View Post
I like neighborhoodscout.com. you can compare crime and school info between towns, get reports on individual schools, etc. It has an annual fee, $20 or something similar. Also liked niche, which is less detailed but free. Good luck!
I would be a bit careful with the school ratings of some of these websites. We have found them to not be very accurate. Can't speak to any other information the site provides but the regular posters here are very knowledgeable about different neighborhoods all over the state and we do not charge a fee. Jay

Old 08-28-2016, 02:32 PM

789 posts, read 702,914 times
Quote:
For $ 500k-750k range I think Jersey offers better values for Manhattan commuters than FFC for a 15-year time horizon. For longer time, CT would win, if taxes stay relative.

If you get two 40k cars, property tax is a wash.
And THIS is exactly what my family is facing on our decision making process. NJ offers some seriously attractive towns with relatively similar value propositions. Although CT towns have slightly better property tax but as you say, once u have a couple of vehicles that diminishes.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:48 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
And THIS is exactly what my family is facing on our decision making process. NJ offers some seriously attractive towns with relatively similar value propositions. Although CT towns have slightly better property tax but as you say, once u have a couple of vehicles that diminishes.
While I hate the idea of paying my car taxes, keep in mind they will go down as your vehicle ages. Property taxes don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut