Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 04:13 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times

Advertisements

There is one home in Manchester out near the original Shady Glen with the Confederate flag and another small house with a giant anti-Obama sign mounted in apickup bed. Visible signs of the south will rise again nonsense is very limited.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM

402 posts, read 686,716 times
so what is wrong with showing the flag if you wish? It's a huge part of our history and our present day South and West. Remember the Civil War was not about slavery at all but Northern control and it really prompted the heavy central government control we have now.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
so what is wrong with showing the flag if you wish? It's a huge part of our history and our present day South and West. Remember the Civil War was not about slavery at all but Northern control and it really prompted the heavy central government control we have now.
Anyone who displays the Confederate flag in 2016 is basically screaming "I'm RACIST!" I'm sorry, but it's true. There is NO reason for anyone to display this flag in this day and age.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Anyone who displays the Confederate flag in 2016 is basically screaming "I'm RACIST!" I'm sorry, but it's true. There is NO reason for anyone to display this flag in this day and age.

Not a fan of any flag but the US one, but slavery was hardly just a Southern thing. NYC saw violence from citizens against the war; slave ships coming in and auctions in NYC were one of the largest NYC economic sectors. New Haven's Green also held slave auctions, from ships landing in Ct with slaves.

Outside of the actual soldiers fighting for the Union, there were millions of dirty hands spread across both Confederate and Union States.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:19 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not a fan of any flag but the US one, but slavery was hardly just a Southern thing. NYC saw violence from citizens against the war; slave ships coming in and auctions in NYC were one of the largest NYC economic sectors. New Haven's Green also held slave auctions, from ships landing in Ct with slaves.

Outside of the actual soldiers fighting for the Union, there were millions of dirty hands spread across both Confederate and Union States.
New York started regulating against slavery in 1799 then finally ended the practice in 1827. The Confederate states had to lose a war before the slave trade ended.

NY is hardly comparable.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 AM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
That's not true.

69% of Americans have a positive reaction or no reaction at all when they see the Confederate flag. Only a minority of 30% have a negative reaction.

Civil War at 150: Still Relevant, Still Divisive | Pew Research Center

In addition to that, the majority of Americans see the Confederate flag as an expression of Southern pride.

Poll: Majority sees Confederate flag as Southern pride - CNNPolitics.com

Neps' reaction reminds me of this quote:

http://img.picturequotes.com/2/3/238...ce-quote-1.jpg

Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Think open carry should be allowed in CT. Also everyone should be allowed access to a firearm and should not be able to report it, but do need a license for any firearm in CT for.

Individuals who should have their licenses suspended are those with restraining orders and suspended 6 months after the order is no longer valid. In addition to, those seeking psych treatment should not allowed to use a firearm for 12 months after last treatment date. Individual can use it at work if part of job duties and left to discretion of employer. These individuals should turn their fire arms over to the police or local shooting range to hold on to until able to be released.

Additionally, individuals in jail have right to own a firearm revoked and won't be reinstated till off probation. In addition to, applies to those on parole.

Now with flags I am for anyone waving what they want.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
There is NO reason for anyone to display this flag in this day and age.
Random staff accountants don't get to decide that.
People are free to believe as they please in any age.
If someone is racist or a gun hobbyist, you'll have to get over it.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
This is a typical PC reaction we get these days. I do not think someone displaying the Confederate flag is necessarily a racist. I think they are more likely just a "rebel" or someone who wants to challenge the system.

Was the Dukes of Hazard a racist TV show? I don't think so but yet I seem to remember the Confederate flag being painted on the roof of its car and the car being called the "General Lee" after Confederate General Robert E. Lee. People need to stop overreacting to things. Jay

Old 08-04-2016, 10:54 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I've never seen anyone actually flying the Confederate flag. But I have seen a couple of Confederate flag decals on trucks. The last was at a classic car cruise.

In each case the trucks were owned by very young men . In speaking with them, the flag was symbol of rebellion to them. These guys were at the stage of their lives where they were in " no one is going to tell me what to do" mode. Racism didn't come into play at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut