Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 02:48 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I guarantee that the CT State Police is going to park in the median right on the border targeting CT drivers coming out of MA. This is going to turn into the illegal fireworks trafficking on July 4th situation by trying to search every car they stop to confiscate contraband, issue tickets, or even arrest drivers if the amount of pot exceeds the limit you're allowed to carry.
Do you know how many thousands of cars and trucks go back and forth between Massachusetts and Connecticut each day? It would be impossible to stop even one one-hundredth of the vehicles. I actually see this as the beginning of legalizing recreational pot here in Connecticut. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 02:54 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,564 times
I travel to Colorado and Washington State for work and you do not need to be a resident- or have any special state ID- to buy in either. I can't imagine that Mass would require you to be a Mass resident as they are going to want all the sales tax income they can get from the sale of marijuana. Huge moneymaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I haven't looked into it, but I wonder if Massachusetts will have any sort of regulation to buying, something along the lines of needing a Massachusetts state ID to purchase.

As for people bringing it in to CT it'd be like playing whack-a-mole, it's not like there is one entrance between Mass and CT where you can search everyone. A waste of time and state resources.

If Mass can implement a tax system or some program where the state is able to make money, I'd support Ct looking to do the same.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:55 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Like they're going to put police on the Longmeadow/Enfield border? Border Patrol! Or you can even get into CT from MA on rte 202 & 10. Or you can cross over around Westfield MA. Or numerous small roads that cross the state line. Even if you can't buy it here in MA, you can just buy some from a friend who lives in MA and drive home with it.

When she was a little kid, my sister ran away from home on her bike and rode the few miles from MA into CT. Kids could transport mj--there's no way to control it and search everyone. Enjoy our new law, CT neighbors.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:48 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Do you know how many thousands of cars and trucks go back and forth between Massachusetts and Connecticut each day? It would be impossible to stop even one one-hundredth of the vehicles. I actually see this as the beginning of legalizing recreational pot here in Connecticut. Jay
This is the exact same thing I was saying

MA legalizing it effectively legalizes it in ALL of New England. It is impossible to track and IMO police probably don't even care.

This will have huge implications IMO

Old 11-09-2016, 04:15 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
So what's the penalty? How do they enforce it? Setting up road blocks on 91 blocking all lanes of traffic(causing massive grid lock) with drug sniffing dogs at random? All to hand out a ticket for a NON CRIMINAL offense? It's an impossible thing to enforce. There's no enforced border. It's totally open. We have a hard enough time keeping drugs out from mexico and you have an enforced border crossing with x-ray machines/officers ect.
They [CT state police] are going to enforce it the same way they did with alcohol crossing the border before packies were open on Sundays in CT.

For people who don't know it was (perhaps still is) illegal to bring alcohol over a certain quantity (aka ounces) into CT from outside the state. The quantity is an odd number like 1.3 gallons and good luck trying to convert that to liters on the fly. Although I'm sure the police know the conversion.
The importation of cigarettes is similarly enforced.

I doubt they catch more than .0000000001% of the people doing it, but the few who do get caught will pass the experience to others via word of mouth which will have somewhat of a deterrent effect.

The police would stakeout popular packies along the border in MA and then follow the CT people (that had large quantities of alcohol) back over the border. Seems silly, but trust me this used to happen and perhaps still does. Maybe someone with inside police info can tell us.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:09 PM

712 posts, read 530,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
They [CT state police] are going to enforce it the same way they did with alcohol crossing the border before packies were open on Sundays in CT.

For people who don't know it was (perhaps still is) illegal to bring alcohol over a certain quantity (aka ounces) into CT from outside the state. The quantity is an odd number like 1.3 gallons and good luck trying to convert that to liters on the fly. Although I'm sure the police know the conversion.
The importation of cigarettes is similarly enforced.

I doubt they catch more than .0000000001% of the people doing it, but the few who do get caught will pass the experience to others via word of mouth which will have somewhat of a deterrent effect.

The police would stakeout popular packies along the border in MA and then follow the CT people (that had large quantities of alcohol) back over the border. Seems silly, but trust me this used to happen and perhaps still does. Maybe someone with inside police info can tell us.
Dumbest crap I've ever heard of in my life.

So we don't have the money to follow known people with terrorist connections like boston bomers around, but we have money to stake out package stores? And why don't police stake out bars and arrest the drunken drivers stumbling to their cars with dui more often? The dui idiots kill people.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:00 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,188 times
I read today that although effective for recreational use Dec 15th, 2016, retail dispensary sales aren't expected until at least 2018.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Having spent a lot of time out west around legal recreational marijuana, all I can say is CT better legalize it stat or we will be poised to lose a ton of money to MA. Tax it, sell it, and watch the state deficit disappear.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:51 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I just read in a news email from the Hartford Courant that Governor Malloy has said that he is reconsidering his opposition to recreational marijuana. So it begins. Jay

Old 11-10-2016, 01:23 PM

468 posts, read 524,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I just read in a news email from the Hartford Courant that Governor Malloy has said that he is reconsidering his opposition to recreational marijuana. So it begins. Jay
What a principled man Dannel is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut