Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseiden View Post
We are heavily considering moving to Washington Depot and finding work from there. At the moment we haven't moved or found work. We would find work in the surrounding towns. Neither of us want to work in the NYC and commute. Thanks

QUOTE=Stephy0519;46432556]I agree, where will you be working?

Washington Depot is NOTHING like Stars Hollow, FYI.

Oxford, Woodbury--has no one thrown out Middlebury? Good schools, good town, easy with highways....Monroe/Newtown? Maybe?

I live in a California Beach Town. Madison is absolutely beautiful, but in NO way does it compare.
[/quote]

And what do you do for work? That needs to play into, as well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 04:09 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
And what do you do for work? That needs to play into, as well....
OP is an eye doctor. Her husband is in public health.

The problem with the area around Washington is that there isn't much "public" there. The area around Washington does not have a lot of job opportunities. There a couple of small hospital there (New Milford, Sharon), but commuting to more substantial places of business / employment (such as Stamford, Hartford, or New Haven) would be too much, especially in winter.

It also seems that because of being very fed up with Queens OP wants the opposite of it, the "oomph, let me out of here" may be pushing OP to that opposite.

I think OP is too early in the search / thought process and needs to think more about what lifestyle would suit them, including their children, rather that what would be the dream.

OP is the best candidate to suggest to rent for a year or two before jumping in and buying a 4-bedroom/2 bath, 2 acre property, before they even have found work.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:47 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
As I said before New Milford. Near Danbury that Route 7 stretch from Sharon to Norwalk is loaded with health care facilities/offices/hospital's. I think there is 3 small eye doctor offices in New Milford.

Can't forget also not a too bad ride to Southbury or Newtown where more health care options are.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:48 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
As I said before New Milford. Near Danbury that Route 7 stretch from Sharon to Norwalk is loaded with health care facilities/offices/hospital's. I think there is 3 small eye doctor offices in New Milford.

Can't forget also not a too bad ride to Southbury or Newtown where more health care options are.
Yes, the closer you get to I-84 options improve, as does competition for jobs, but that's leave that aside for a moment.

OP is looking for a rural / remote place, while she seems to be starting out with her life. I don't think they have kids yet, but they seem to be planning for them.

If kids were in their pre-teens / teens now, they would likely choose suburban or even nice urban over rural -- kids like crowds.

Rural is also hard on parents if kids enroll in activities, dance, soccer, etc. OP may be cringing at the idea of becoming a soccer mom, but that's the circle of life. Living in remote areas means a lot more driving on that soccer mom minivan. Those two acres that husband wants will mean nothing, except pay more taxes. He will be busy with his own career, he will be tired and will not have time on weekends to play farmer or lumberjack.

That's why the suburbs are so appealing to vast majority -- you get the 4 bedroom house, 2 car garage, but you are 5-10 minutes away from school, shopping for cleats, Dance studio, doctor's office, dentist for braces, church choir, PTA meeting, Rachel's birthday party at Chuckie Cheese, etc. etc.

OP may be romanticizing now, but life needs to decide the place, not the other way around, especially for such a dramatic life change OP is about to begin.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Agree, finding work and income comes first over fantasies.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
New Milford is a good blend of rural and an active town. Only 30 minutes from the mall, movie theater in town, movie theater 1 (2 soon) 30 minutes away, the mall is 30 minutes away, college is 30 minutes away, theater group in New Milford/Brookfield/WCSU, small rock club in Brookfield, great restaurants to eat at, mix of big box stores & local shops, great art center for children, great teen center in New Milford. Various volunteer activities from the recent department to CERT to EMT to FD and so forth. Park and Rec is very involved in the community. The high school has lots of extra curricular activities.

Many hiking areas in and around town. Can possibly see a Hollywood Actor time to time in town, most live in Sherman & Bridgewater. Farms and active farms in New Milford. During the warmer months has farmer markets on the Green. Lots of activity goes on the Green various festivals. During the summer bandstand on the gazebo during summer night's.

The Route 7 corridor is mostly dominated by Western CT Health Network. Always expanding. If Sharon wasn't a Profit Hospital I say they buy them up. They are partners with Norwalk, Danbury, and New Milford Hospital.

In New Milford there a hospice is going to open soon.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
OP is an eye doctor. Her husband is in public health.

The problem with the area around Washington is that there isn't much "public" there. The area around Washington does not have a lot of job opportunities. There a couple of small hospital there (New Milford, Sharon), but commuting to more substantial places of business / employment (such as Stamford, Hartford, or New Haven) would be too much, especially in winter.

It also seems that because of being very fed up with Queens OP wants the opposite of it, the "oomph, let me out of here" may be pushing OP to that opposite.

I think OP is too early in the search / thought process and needs to think more about what lifestyle would suit them, including their children, rather that what would be the dream.

OP is the best candidate to suggest to rent for a year or two before jumping in and buying a 4-bedroom/2 bath, 2 acre property, before they even have found work.
I think the OP would be better off looking for work first and then considering where to live. It would not be good to buy somewhere rural and then not be able to find a job a reasonable distance away. Jay

Old 12-09-2016, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 11,028 times
i thank you all for the input and i'm going to report all this back to my husband. it just happens we personally know people selling a house in Washington Depot which made us look into that area and we really love the remoteness of it. The question is will it be too remote for us? From my husband's research he was able to find a few jobs within an hour commute which he is okay with. I was able to find a few jobs within 40 minutes and eventually I would like to build my own practice. I don't want to have to drive kids 40 minutes to every soccer game-that sounds like hell, but based on others comments they don't seem to be doing that thankfully.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 11,028 times
thank you. New Milford is another town we will definitely look into

Old 12-09-2016, 11:47 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,612 times
NM is a great suggestion that gives you some of what you want without going as far as you don't realize you don't want (if that makes sense).

It borders Washington, but is much cheaper, maybe even to the tune of 50% cheaper for the same house. It has much more amenities, and is closer to other civilization. It's huge in size - the largest in the state at 63 sq miles and has varied housing options. Plenty of rural lots, though they tend to be closer to Washington and the most expensive. Joan Rivers had a big country estate in I believe the Merryall area.

You won't get any "oohs" from New Yorkers by living there but I think it's so much a better choice for families. Don't be discouraged if you see a lot of dumpy places for sale in town. Like I said there's a huge range of housing. Obviously re-selling the house you wouldn't have some of the same high roller sort of clientele generally looking there but it's such a huge comparative discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut