Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is CT on the east coast?
Yes 87 95.60%
No 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:08 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
You are correct, CT does not border the Atlantic Ocean, so therefore it cannot and must not be classified as East Coast. The boundary of East Coast influence only occurs where land meets the Atlantic.
Well it depend on where you consider things. NOAA states that long island sound ends at Fisher Island which would indicate Stonington and Mystic Are on the Atlantic. But even then LIS is a bay of the Atlantic ocean most people consider bayfront oceanfront.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:42 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
If it's on the East Coast, than it's part of the East Coast.

The semantics debate is if whether places south of Washington DC are also considered 'East Coast'.

CT is very firmly without debate on the 'East Coast'.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was great visiting youse guys today. I am definitely in an east coast state here in NJ. I can drive ten minutes, and yup, there's the ocean.

I bet most non-CT people don't know Connecticut grows tobacco, though...
Broad Leaf Shade Tobacco to be specific. Culbro used to have a large presence in Simsbury and I recall several of my friends picking Tobacco during the Summer when school was out. It was used to wrap a lot of cigars over the years.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 AM

223 posts, read 172,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I believe that CT is not an east coast state at all. We can have an honest, in depth debate on this, but here are my reasons...

1. None of CT's borders are actually touching the Atlantic Ocean. The entire shoreline is just the Long Island Sound, which is bordering the state of NY along the south and the state of RI on the far southeast side. So how can you say CT is on the coast?

2. CT is oriented as an east to west state rather than north to south. Interstate 95 runs north to south in the "real" east coast states, but in CT, it runs east to west. A true east coast state would only have north-south interstate highways of that scale.

3. There is no east coast in CT. The eastern edge of CT borders the land of Rhode Island. The Long Island Sound is certainly not the east coast. It is the "south coast" of CT. All of the "other" east coast states truly have the ocean at their eastern borders.

Too many people misconceive CT to be an east coast state, but it technically isn't. Same with Pennsylvania and DC, none of which even border the Atlantic Ocean AT ALL!
Where do I begin?

The east coast is a cultural and geographic idea. You're taking everything too literally. . . and even if you are you should've come to a different conclusion.

LI Sound is the Atlantic ocean.

Your 2nd point makes no sense, and only refers to the geographic shape of the state (90 miles long 55 miles wide). That has nothing to do with CT being considered party of the east coast or not. If you're desperate for a N/S highway, see 91.

Your third point: Ok then, Rhode Island isn't the east coast?? East Coast refers to states that are in the eastern part of the United States, near the Atlantic Ocean. It doesn't mean they have exclusively east facing beaches. It's simply the part of the country a state finds itself in.

CT is absolutely the east coast, no debate at all. Ask someone in Indiana. Just don't take the idea too literally. It's a cultural thing as much as it is a geographic phenomenon.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:26 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Broad Leaf Shade Tobacco to be specific. Culbro used to have a large presence in Simsbury and I recall several of my friends picking Tobacco during the Summer when school was out. It was used to wrap a lot of cigars over the years.
Still a few fields in Windsor Windsor locks South Windsor and East Windsor. Amazing how many fewer there are even since the 80's thou. In the previous century a few families along the CT river made large fortunes from tobacco a few of the families are still living off the inheritance.

There was even a movie about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrish_(film)

Old 02-22-2017, 06:49 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnewspaper View Post
Where do I begin?

The east coast is a cultural and geographic idea. You're taking everything too literally. . . and even if you are you should've come to a different conclusion.

LI Sound is the Atlantic ocean.

Your 2nd point makes no sense, and only refers to the geographic shape of the state (90 miles long 55 miles wide). That has nothing to do with CT being considered party of the east coast or not. If you're desperate for a N/S highway, see 91.

Your third point: Ok then, Rhode Island isn't the east coast?? East Coast refers to states that are in the eastern part of the United States, near the Atlantic Ocean. It doesn't mean they have exclusively east facing beaches. It's simply the part of the country a state finds itself in.

CT is absolutely the east coast, no debate at all. Ask someone in Indiana. Just don't take the idea too literally. It's a cultural thing as much as it is a geographic phenomenon.
I would not ask anyone in Indiana about where CT is. I work in Indianapolis right now and have lived there in the past. Many would not know it's location. Not kidding. Found that to be true about some areas of the Midwest. People really don't know the coast. NEP is living proof of this despite the fact he's from PA.

Years ago a friend from Waterbury told me that his impression of the Midwest was that people see everything at face value and take everything literally. I didn't fully understand the context of that statement until after I lived out here for many years. It's true. They don't seem to understand what you see is not always what you get where people or life in general is concerned. Not much depth to them and most are quite shallow at least in the metro areas. That is the crux of the problem.

BTW. Tell someone Texas that the Gulf of Mexico is not a part of the ocean or that the coastal area of the state is NOT the Shoreline. They'd laugh their head off.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
I would not ask anyone in Indiana about where CT is. I work in Indianapolis right now and have lived there in the past. Many would not know it's location. Not kidding. Found that to be true about some areas of the Midwest. People really don't know the coast. NEP is living proof of this despite the fact he's from PA.

Years ago a friend from Waterbury told me that his impression of the Midwest was that people see everything at face value and take everything literally. I didn't fully understand the context of that statement until after I lived out here for many years. It's true. They don't seem to understand what you see is not always what you get where people or life in general is concerned. Not much depth to them and most are quite shallow at least in the metro areas. That is the crux of the problem.

BTW. Tell someone Texas that the Gulf of Mexico is not a part of the ocean or that the coastal area of the state is NOT the Shoreline. They'd laugh their head off.
Nep321 is from Connecticut. Not sure why you think he is from PA. Jay

Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 AM

223 posts, read 172,314 times
Quote:

I wasn't trying to be too specific-just making the point that the world at large would see CT as the east coast.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That is false. Look on Google Maps. The southeastern towns are actually bordering RI in the water. The Block Island Sound. Therefore, NONE of the CT shoreline actually borders the Atlantic Ocean. And the Sound is not the Ocean.
You are wrong and have no clue what you're saying... Look at the map below of what is actually Long Island Sound. As you can see, the easternmost towns in CT actually border the Atlantic Ocean, and not Long Island sound...

Is CT actually considered "east coast?"-wpdms_ev26188_long_island_sound.jpg

None of this matters anyway, because LIS is a tidal estuary of the Atlantic Ocean..

..so I'll repeat, this thread is stupid.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,560 times
In other news, Texas is not considered to be part of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut