Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I move?
Black Rock 1 10.00%
Fairfield on BPT border 0 0%
Farther south/west (ie Norwalk or Stamford) 1 10.00%
Farther north/east 3 30.00%
Rethink my life choices that got me to this point 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 518 times

Advertisements

I've been working in Bridgeport and commuting from New York for the past couple of years, living at home trying to save money. It's time for me to move out now though and I'm looking for some suggestions. Im looking to buy a house or a townhouse that is within biking distance of my office and preferably south/west of Bridgeport to not be screwed with traffic. Im well aware that Bridgeport is not the best area, but I know there are areas of Bridgeport that are more desirable then others. For instance I have heard good things about Black Rock. My price range is about 250k.

Am I kidding myself in thinking that I can find a decent place in Bridgeport? Should I be thinking more about Trumbull or Fairfield? Although even the areas in Fairfield that are on the Bridgeport border don't seem that great.

I'm in my mid 20s and would like to live in a place that has things to do in the area and maybe some sort of night life. Or id like to at least be near a place that has easy access to things to do like near a train station or a place that is conducive to walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Look at/near downtown Milford. Low taxes, low crime, nightlife, somewhat walkable, proximity to Bridgeport AND New Haven (for nightlife/things to do, New Haven is best in CT), train, etc.

Fairfield on the Bridgeport border is nice, but expensive. Trumbull is great, but more family orientated. I think you may be bored there.

Traffic commuting to Bridgeport is minimal. The real traffic does not really start until the Bridgeport/Fairfield line typically.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkfmn9141 View Post
I've been working in Bridgeport and commuting from New York for the past couple of years, living at home trying to save money. It's time for me to move out now though and I'm looking for some suggestions. Im looking to buy a house or a townhouse that is within biking distance of my office and preferably south/west of Bridgeport to not be screwed with traffic. Im well aware that Bridgeport is not the best area, but I know there are areas of Bridgeport that are more desirable then others. For instance I have heard good things about Black Rock. My price range is about 250k.

Am I kidding myself in thinking that I can find a decent place in Bridgeport? Should I be thinking more about Trumbull or Fairfield? Although even the areas in Fairfield that are on the Bridgeport border don't seem that great.

I'm in my mid 20s and would like to live in a place that has things to do in the area and maybe some sort of night life. Or id like to at least be near a place that has easy access to things to do like near a train station or a place that is conducive to walking.

New Haven---Wooster Square(stay west of I-91), East Rock, Downtown you will find many clubs with young people in NH
Cafe Nine, The Owl Shop, Firehouse 12, Club Vandome, Rudy's Bar, Toad's Place close to New Haven Union Station access to Metro North to Grand Central and Amtrak to NYC, Boston, Western Mass

Bridgeport---Black Rock west of ellsworth street there many bars along with Fairfield Ave, close to Fairfield Metro and Downtown Fairfield

Milford

Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Look at/near downtown Milford. Low taxes, low crime, nightlife, somewhat walkable, proximity to Bridgeport AND New Haven (for nightlife/things to do, New Haven is best in CT), train, etc.

Fairfield on the Bridgeport border is nice, but expensive. Trumbull is great, but more family orientated. I think you may be bored there.

Traffic commuting to Bridgeport is minimal. The real traffic does not really start until the Bridgeport/Fairfield line typically.
It start at Exit 27/Exit 27A but it really bad at Exit 24

Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,251 times
At $250K you might be priced out of Black Rock. Forget about going further south or west. So it's off to the north and east you go.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 PM

610 posts, read 533,637 times
Two points.

Would renting make more sense at first? That way you could explore the area and what's available. Maybe you'll decide it's not what you want.

Also, if you're just "starting out", do you want so much of your net worth tied up in real estate? It may be wise to build up your assets before you do so---don't let anyone kid you, real estate is a risk. Years ago I knew a young fellow who bought a condo in the North End of Bridgeport. When the condo market crashed (this was in the early 1990's) he was out of luck. Obviously I don't know your financial situation, size it up carefully.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut