Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:34 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times

Advertisements

We don't have many planned communities like other parts of the country. Anything planned with typically be higher end townhome devolpments. The Toll brothers devolpment in Middlebury is the Ridgewood at Middlebury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 03:20 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I Am not seeing that Toll has anything in Middlebury or Southbury. They have Bethel Crossing in Bethel which now starts at $500,000. The OP may want to check that out. Jay
Beat me to it Jay, I was gonna suggest Bethel Crossings as a planned community, but beware, they broke ground on a new Police Station that will be over budget, and hearing talk of a 80-90 million dollar school renovation project with taxes that will rival Westchester County New York in the upcoming years.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:35 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Beat me to it Jay, I was gonna suggest Bethel Crossings as a planned community, but beware, they broke ground on a new Police Station that will be over budget, and hearing talk of a 80-90 million dollar school renovation project with taxes that will rival Westchester County New York in the upcoming years.
Come on now, it won't be anywhere near that bad. The new police station is only going to be $13.5 million. For a town the size of Bethel, it can afford it even if it goes over budget. As for the school renovation, even that is not a lot for a town with over 18,000 people and an annual budget of almost $73 million. Taxes in Bethel would have to double to approach Westchester taxes and that is just not happening. Jay

Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
I Am not seeing that Toll has anything in Middlebury or Southbury. They have Bethel Crossing in Bethel which now starts at $500,000. The OP may want to check that out. Jay
It's Ridgewood. There's another complex down the road as well, but unsure the name.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
The other community in Middlebury is called Brookside. Those are all single family homes and I think they are in the high $300s to mid $400s. Buyers should know that it is near Oxford Airport and flight noise could be an issue -- it is difficult to avoid Oxford flight traffic anywhere in that area but some neighborhoods are more challenged than others.

I am unclear on the history but one of the planned communities in Middlebury was never "finished" so that is something to check into when looking there.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:24 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Come on now, it won't be anywhere near that bad. The new police station is only going to be $13.5 million. For a town the size of Bethel, it can afford it even if it goes over budget. As for the school renovation, even that is not a lot for a town with over 18,000 people and an annual budget of almost $73 million. Taxes in Bethel would have to double to approach Westchester taxes and that is just not happening. Jay
The taxes I'm paying now are 8K for a simple 1,700 sq. ft. home, and in years to come, I can see it easily hitting 10K+......hopefully by then I'll be in North Carolina

Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 AM

50 posts, read 130,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohshaker View Post
We are a family with three kids , we have a 12 years old and 9 years old and 9 months old.
I am in the middle of negotiations and close to accept a job offer in Danbury CT. My daily work will be in Danbury.
Most of the posts i have seen are related to people working in NY and these wont help me. therefore I appreciate it someone can give me some idea about schools and best places to live ?? I do not mind driving 30 minutes to work as long as i can have my kids in good school district. We will be moving from Dallas, TX and seems things are way different in CT especially when it come to cost of living....
We might buy a house but all depends on the schools and family friendly areas...

please share your thoughts about best towns and places to live for families while working in Danbury.

Thanks.
We lived in the greater Danbury area from 1975 until our move to Florida in 2016. We lived in Danbury as home owners from 1979 until 2005. Our three sons attended and graduated from Danbury Public Schools and recieved a fine education. And I say that with confidence because both my wife and I spent over 33 years in public school education. We then moved to the Sandy Hook section of Newtown until our move south in 2016.

Your price range will allow you to purchase a very nice home in Danbury or any of the surrounding towns. As to Danbury housing, you will not find the type of community you are use to but, there are many great neighborhoods to choose from. The same goes for the surrounding towns of Bethel, New Fairfield, Brookfield, Newtown. If I had to list in order my choices of towns, considering all aspects it would be Newtown, Danbury, Brookfield, New Fairfield and then Bethel.

The greater Danbury area is also very strong ecomonically. That is a major plus in my opinion.

Do your research and get yourself a very good realtor. I know couple who have served our family very well over the years.

Best of luck in you search and enjoy the journey.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric51 View Post
We lived in the greater Danbury area from 1975 until our move to Florida in 2016. We lived in Danbury as home owners from 1979 until 2005. Our three sons attended and graduated from Danbury Public Schools and recieved a fine education. And I say that with confidence because both my wife and I spent over 33 years in public school education. We then moved to the Sandy Hook section of Newtown until our move south in 2016.

Your price range will allow you to purchase a very nice home in Danbury or any of the surrounding towns. As to Danbury housing, you will not find the type of community you are use to but, there are many great neighborhoods to choose from. The same goes for the surrounding towns of Bethel, New Fairfield, Brookfield, Newtown. If I had to list in order my choices of towns, considering all aspects it would be Newtown, Danbury, Brookfield, New Fairfield and then Bethel.
Danbury before Brookfield/New Fairfield/Bethel?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
The taxes I'm paying now are 8K for a simple 1,700 sq. ft. home, and in years to come, I can see it easily hitting 10K+......hopefully by then I'll be in North Carolina
That is still not near Westchester County taxes. I am not doubting you but that seems very high for a 1,700 square foot home in Bethel. Just looked at few listings there and am seeing homes that are much bigger paying that and some less. Here are a few samples. Jay

https://www.bhhsneproperties.com/ct/...-06801-5929786

https://www.bhhsneproperties.com/ct/...-06801-6043907

https://www.bhhsneproperties.com/ct/...-06801-5991653

https://www.bhhsneproperties.com/ct/...-06801-5983055

Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
It's Ridgewood. There's another complex down the road as well, but unsure the name.
Those are condos. The OP is looking for a house. Still suggest they look in Bethel, Brookfield or New Fairfield. Southbury and Middlebury are nice but kind of far from Danbury when there are as nice towns closer the OP could consider. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut