Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:28 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Uh.... that post was determined to be a troll, which is why it was closed....
oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:42 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Uh.... that post was determined to be a troll, which is why it was closed....
That person is correct about the schools (in Stamford) no matter if they are a troll or not and my statement still stands......

This site that rates schools has Norwalk at 98 and Stamford at 95, so basically about the same.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:44 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
That person is correct about the schools (in Stamford) no matter if they are a troll or not and my statement still stands......

This site that rates schools has Norwalk at 98 and Stamford at 95, so basically about the same.
Let's repeat: "that person" was determined to be a fake person, therefore their "experience" does not exist.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:44 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Let's repeat: "that person" was determined to be a fake person, therefore their "experience" does not exist.
I was born and raised in Stamford. I lived near Westhill HS. I went to Roxbury Elematary, Cloonan Middle and Westhill HS. I graduated HS in the 1970's when busing started in the schools and they went downhill after that. My husband and I left Stamford to buy a house in a town with a good school system. How's that. I'm not fake.

BTW, my husband's friends are teachers in Stamford and they bought a house in Fairfield. My husband's sister (also a Stamford native) is a teacher and bought a house in Fairfield too. What does that tell you.

So now to get back to the OP. The Stamford & Norwalk schools are about the same level. The Trumbull & Fairfield Schools which are much better are on the same level. Only the OP can decide.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:53 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-21-2017, 03:55 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Stamford. I lived near Westhill HS. I went to Roxbury Elematary, Cloonan Middle and Westhill HS. I graduated HS in the 1970's when busing started in the schools and they went downhill after that. My husband and I left Stamford to buy a house in a town with a good school system. How's that. I'm not fake.

BTW, my husband's friends are teachers in Stamford and they bought a house in Fairfield. My husband's sister (also a Stamford native) is a teacher and bought a house in Fairfield too. What does that tell you.

So now to get back to the OP. The Stamford & Norwalk schools are about the same level. The Trumbull & Fairfield Schools which are much better are on the same level. Only the OP can decide.
I'm not disagreeing with your opinion that Stamford schools are questionable. I'm pointing out that the thread you suggested the OP read was posted by a fake poster with a fake experience. That does nothing but hurt your point of view. It would behoove you to remove it instead of defend it.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
My husband and I left Stamford to buy a house in a town with a good school system. How's that. I'm not fake.
You and your husband are great parents, your kids would have done well in any school system.
Yes though, overall kids in Trumbull are better at filling out common core worksheets and standard tests than they are in Stamford.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 10,041 times
This is a great thread, wondering if I can piggy back (sorry OP!) but stay on topic instead of starting a new thread. I'm in the same financial situation as OP and looking for almost all the same things as OP, EXCEPT schools (no kids). So if you took the school convo out of this thread, what would be your recommendation? Currently in Stamford and as someone mentioned, not going to fit into price range.

Looking at Norwalk (South), Milford (by this thread's recommendation), West Haven areas (or even New Haven? although a commuter to Stamford, so I get it.. loong mornings). Which of these cities you've chimed in on (or others) are best for nightlife/restaurant/bar/social and/or good walkability scores but with Metro-North access and houses in the 450k range with the same questions OP posted (turn key vs. reno, etc.) ?

Going up the coast seems best option for value/price in Southern CT but it also inches you away from NYC access and I'm looking for a (very small) replacement city that's not Stamford. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2017, 09:52 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirlCT View Post
This is a great thread, wondering if I can piggy back (sorry OP!) but stay on topic instead of starting a new thread. I'm in the same financial situation as OP and looking for almost all the same things as OP, EXCEPT schools (no kids). So if you took the school convo out of this thread, what would be your recommendation? Currently in Stamford and as someone mentioned, not going to fit into price range.

Looking at Norwalk (South), Milford (by this thread's recommendation), West Haven areas (or even New Haven? although a commuter to Stamford, so I get it.. loong mornings). Which of these cities you've chimed in on (or others) are best for nightlife/restaurant/bar/social and/or good walkability scores but with Metro-North access and houses in the 450k range with the same questions OP posted (turn key vs. reno, etc.) ?

Going up the coast seems best option for value/price in Southern CT but it also inches you away from NYC access and I'm looking for a (very small) replacement city that's not Stamford. Thanks!
Without the school consideration, I would definitely recommend Norwalk. It is a nice small city with many nice neighborhoods. If you can find a home in your price range there, why not live as close to your job as possible? Milford is very nice and you will get a lot more for your money there but you will have a long commute. Only you can decide if it is worth it or not.

I would though be careful where in South Norwalk you buy. Parts of it are sketchy. Others here may be able to advise you what sections to avoid. Good luck, Jay

Old 11-06-2017, 09:59 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirlCT View Post

If you're commuting by train, Milford is easy. You'll always get a good seat and it's a short ride. Time goes by very fast on the train when you're on your phone, working, etc. I do it to NYC from Milford several times a week and it's not nearly as bad as I expected.

Milford has decent nightlife, but is not as good as South Norwalk. However, you're 15 minutes to New Haven, which is superior to Norwalk in bars, restaurants, walkability. Milford downtown is very nice, walkable, has the train, and a nice variety of bars and restaurants. The shoreline is great, and there's tons of parks, shopping, and amenities in town.

New Haven pushes the Stamford train commute over an hour. It's a great city, but it's tough to recommend at your price point. Taxes will be very high on a $450k property. You could get a cheaper condo, and then it would make a bit more sense. Or a multi-family in East Rock that you can rent out.

I would not recommend West Haven. There's a few nice neighborhoods, like West Shore, and the beach is nice–but the downtown struggles, taxes are high, and it's just not as attractive of a town with the strong resale and growth that nearby Milford has. It's worth spending more to live in Milford, and your taxes will be lower and more stable.

If you can't do a train commute to Stamford, then I wouldn't recommend living far from your job and would focus on Norwalk. The car commute from Milford and beyond would be miserable. But I'm guessing from your post that Metro North is an option, making Milford an ideal balance of value and amenities you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut