Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
One thing you might not have had to consider in CA, which will be unavoidable in CT, is the change in seasons, and especially maintaining a property/driveway in Winters that have regular snow accumulation. When you are house-hunting, think about how much work will be needed to mow the lawn, clean up leaves in the Fall, plow the snow off the driveway numerous times in Winter (and clear off your vehicles if there is no garage). Conventional wisdom would also be to look for a relatively level driveway, rather than inclined, so there is less risk of getting stuck or sliding into the street when there is snow/ice. Winter might be your largest adjustment if you haven't experienced it before.
This, 100%. Maintenance on homes in the Northeast is pain. The less, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:09 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
One thing you might not have had to consider in CA, which will be unavoidable in CT, is the change in seasons, and especially maintaining a property/driveway in Winters that have regular snow accumulation. When you are house-hunting, think about how much work will be needed to mow the lawn, clean up leaves in the Fall, plow the snow off the driveway numerous times in Winter (and clear off your vehicles if there is no garage). Conventional wisdom would also be to look for a relatively level driveway, rather than inclined, so there is less risk of getting stuck or sliding into the street when there is snow/ice. Winter might be your largest adjustment if you haven't experienced it before.
Avoid sidewalks!!! Or just hired a cleanup crew (more $$$). But you still have to go out daily to make sure the days melt hasn't frozen again.

Sidewalks are just non-stop maintenance especially in areas with freeze-thaw cycles.

Yes, I know this goes against everything about walkability.

Re inclines: I have a friend with a steep driveway. When I housesit for them I park in the street and hope a plow doesn't hit me, or get dropped off and picked up - which I hate but I would also hate being trapped in the driveway or hit by a plow. They have slid down their driveway into their garage doors.

Even if you hire someone to clear your driveway, you may still have to wait for them to show up before you leave.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:29 AM

570 posts, read 477,959 times
Quote:
This is great advice. We often focus on the town and commute and forget about the little things that make our lives more complicated. I am Fairfield and will always promote the place as a great low(er) key place with everything to offer, particularly downtown, great schools, entertainment and plentiful beaches (no where near CA but nice). Agree about the property list - flat property,shorter driveway, no sidewalks, and check trees around property. That is huge cost with leaf clean up and branches. Maples just finally shed helicopter seeds. What a pain. They are everywhere. I would also be careful with pines close to house. They have weaker roots and prone to branch snapping. Finally, always check gutter situation and slope around foundation. Water infiltration is major headache.

Last edited by CT_Yank; 05-31-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Avoid sidewalks!!! Or just hired a cleanup crew (more $$$). But you still have to go out daily to make sure the days melt hasn't frozen again.

Sidewalks are just non-stop maintenance especially in areas with freeze-thaw cycles.

Yes, I know this goes against everything about walkability.

Re inclines: I have a friend with a steep driveway. When I housesit for them I park in the street and hope a plow doesn't hit me, or get dropped off and picked up - which I hate but I would also hate being trapped in the driveway or hit by a plow. They have slid down their driveway into their garage doors.

Even if you hire someone to clear your driveway, you may still have to wait for them to show up before you leave.
In my town we don’t worry about sidewalks. It’s up to the town to maintain (or not maintain) as it’s 100% city property.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:29 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
In my town we don’t worry about sidewalks. It’s up to the town to maintain (or not maintain) as it’s 100% city property.
Milford, like most communities, has an ordinance that requires residents of the home adjacent to a sidewalk stretch to remove snow within 24 hours of the end of the storm.

See: Sec. 20-9 Removal of snow and ice from sidewalks—Duty of abutting property owners.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:55 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Milford, like most communities, has an ordinance that requires residents of the home adjacent to a sidewalk stretch to remove snow within 24 hours of the end of the storm.

See: Sec. 20-9 Removal of snow and ice from sidewalks—Duty of abutting property owners.
Touché. Maybe that’s why they’re often not cleared.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You don't have to shovel them or keep them clear in general? I realize not all towns require homeowners to fix them but I didn't know you could get them shoveled by the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I think we have 8 hours after the snowfall ends.

We are also required to fix them. And yes, it's also town owned property.

Many years ago Wethersfield had a deal where they would fix each square for $5.... or maybe it was $25. Whatever, it was cheap. I was quoted over $1000 for 5 of them, no way was I doing that.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:31 PM

222 posts, read 413,589 times
I wish the OP had answered some of the questions - I didn't see any follow ups.

My two cents as California transplant:

1) ALL of the schools will outperform 98% of the public schools in CA (OK accuse me of hyperbole but I believe it)
2) Make sure you look at property taxes when you eventually do buy a home (CT never had a Proposition 13 and our great schools come at a hefty price). My friend with a comparably priced home pays about $3500 in property taxes, I pay quadruple that.
3) As a mom of 2 kids, you really need one of you to be close by. Plain and simple. So many illnesses, snow days, early dismissals, etc. and it would only work if you were going to also have a full-time nanny if you were not close by.
4) Orange is a nice place but I would say pretty homogeneous - its small and somewhat affluent. I personally don't think it has enough of its own center/core to move to if you are new in town but its a great place from what I hear.
5) Fairfield is lovely, I live there, but it is....um...well it depends where you live. Not so much with racial diversity but it is more economically diverse than Orange. Nice beach and nice town center.
6) Milford is bigger and more diverse and I think the schools range from good to great. Great beaches, and endless shopping (a little sprawling). Some charm too, in the town center. If we didn't need to be closer to NYC then Milford would have suited us better - a little less of the Fairfield...um...you can DM me for my commentary on being a mom in this town.

As others have said the proximity to the train is a huge factor here. Driving with traffic is murderous - it took 35 minutes to get from Fairfield to Norwalk when I worked there; Stamford is an hour.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:09 AM

15 posts, read 12,189 times
Fairfield and Orange are both nice towns. What I like about Orange is that it has a lot of stores in town but outside of the Boston Post Road (where everything is located), Orange has a bit of a rural or small town feel. You are also right next door to Milford. Region 5 (Orange’s school district) is known for having great schools. Fairfield’s nice too. Gorgeous downtown and good schools. I think Fairfield is more diverse than Orange but I’m not 100% sure. You could also look at Milford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut