Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,634 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to Windsor, Connecticut from India with a family of a 4 year old and a spouse. I am looking for a place to stay on rent which has a close by good KG school, indian neighbourhood, and indian grocery store. It is also preferred to have an easy commute to 1 orange way. Pl. share some suggestion on location and pricing.

Thanks
Vani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 06:17 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I don't think Windsor has a large Indian population. Google shows an Indian store in the Wilson section, which is the other end of town from your work, though not a bad drive.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I think it would help to know your budget and what you expect to get for it. Windsor does have some rentals but a lot of workers in Windsor rent apartments in Manchester. Manchester does have a number of Indian families and a popular Indian grocery store. Schools there are okay but if you want more highly regarded schools you would need to look in more affluent and expensive towns like West Hartford, South Windsor, Simsbury, Glastonbury, Farmington or Avon. Jay

Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
How much do you have to spend on rent?
I know that Windsor locks has a decent Indian population,mostly the section near the airport, however, the schools are not that good. The town's nearby with very good schools don't have the Indian population you seem to desire. Granby, east Granby, South Windsor and suffield all have good schools but not sure you will find anything else you want.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:15 AM

331 posts, read 207,709 times
I live in Rocky Hill, this is one of the few cities where nearly 50% of the births are from Asian (Indian ) women and sees population growth.

As State School Enrollment Declines, Rocky Hill's Grows - Hartford Courant

Its a solidly middle class area with rentals, but nice homes too. Buying a home in the 300-420k can get a bit competitive. Commute will be longer though, but mostly highway.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
I live in Rocky Hill, this is one of the few cities where nearly 50% of the births are from Asian (Indian ) women and sees population growth.

As State School Enrollment Declines, Rocky Hill's Grows - Hartford Courant

Its a solidly middle class area with rentals, but nice homes too. Buying a home in the 300-420k can get a bit competitive. Commute will be longer though, but mostly highway.
Rocky Hill is a wonderful town with a large Indian population but the problem is living there would require the OP to commute through downtown Hartford to get to his job. Windsor is north of Hartford, while Rocky Hill is south. Traffic is horrible going into Hartford in the morning and coming out of it at night. The OP should avoid this if at all possible. I would recommend the OP live somewhere that does not require them to commute through downtown which is why I recommended Manchester or West Hartford. Jay

Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Rocky Hill is a wonderful town with a large Indian population but the problem is living there would require the OP to commute through downtown Hartford to get to his job. Windsor is north of Hartford, while Rocky Hill is south. Traffic is horrible going into Hartford in the morning and coming out of it at night. The OP should avoid this if at all possible. I would recommend the OP live somewhere that does not require them to commute through downtown which is why I recommended Manchester or West Hartford. Jay

West Hartford to 1 Orange Way, Windsor isn't a joy at 7:30am, either. The secondary roads through Bloomfield are pretty busy and there's no way you'd do I-84/I-91 at that time of day. 20 minutes at 6am from West Hartford Center using I-84/I-91. Maybe 30 to 35 minutes at 7:30am cutting through Bloomfield with some days where it takes an hour+.

I don't know what the OP's expectations are for rentals. Most of the West Hartford rental stock is 1960s brick garden apartments. A small 2 bedroom would run about $1,500. A lot of them have electric heat so you have to factor in that big January electric bill. There's a bit of new construction but to get high ceilings, a balcony, and the modern amenities would be $3K+.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
West Hartford to 1 Orange Way, Windsor isn't a joy at 7:30am, either. The secondary roads through Bloomfield are pretty busy and there's no way you'd do I-84/I-91 at that time of day. 20 minutes at 6am from West Hartford Center using I-84/I-91. Maybe 30 to 35 minutes at 7:30am cutting through Bloomfield with some days where it takes an hour+.

I don't know what the OP's expectations are for rentals. Most of the West Hartford rental stock is 1960s brick garden apartments. A small 2 bedroom would run about $1,500. A lot of them have electric heat so you have to factor in that big January electric bill. There's a bit of new construction but to get high ceilings, a balcony, and the modern amenities would be $3K+.

West Hartford is about 10 miles from 1 Orange Way in Windsor. Rocky Hill is over 20 miles. The traffic on the secondary roads between West Hartford and Windsor is nothing in comparison to what the OP would face each morning traveling through downtown Hartford on I-91 or coming home in the evening. That is not a commute I would recommend to anyone.

The OP mentions wanting good schools and West Hartford schools are among the best in the state which is why rentals are higher there. The more affordable apartments in Rocky Hill are also older 1960's-1970's apartments. The newer complexes are pretty pricey as well but not nearly as pricey as West Hartford. The newest apartments in West Hartford offer two bedroom apartments around $2,500 per month while a similar place in Rocky Hill is around $1,900. The OP has not indicated their budget so it is up to them if the price difference is worth it or not. Jay

Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vani Kapoor View Post
Hi,

I am moving to Windsor, Connecticut from India with a family of a 4 year old and a spouse. I am looking for a place to stay on rent which has a close by good KG school, indian neighbourhood, and indian grocery store. It is also preferred to have an easy commute to 1 orange way. Pl. share some suggestion on location and pricing.

Thanks
Vani

There is a sizable Indian population at "Rivers Bend" apartments in Windsor Off I-91 at exit 38
https://www.apartments.com/rivers-be...or-ct/frrtnwv/

No Indian grocery store nearby that I know of, but there is an American grocery store across the street that one can walk too. There is also public transportation (via bus) at the entrance to this apartment complex.

Windsor schools are not the greatest, but that shouldn't matter too much when kids are young. It's more of an issue when kids enter high school.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,634 times
Thanks each one of you for sharing your valuable advise. Its been of great help!

I have $1200 on mind for rental; but it is flexible to adjust for other things I am wanting to have.

So, now I have kept Windsor, south Windsor and Manchester on my list. Rivers bend seems like a good option in Windsor itself and it will be very close to work.

I also understand that Windsor roads are not walkable or bikeable; only need to be driven by cars. Any help on the best website that can guide for more accurate cost of living for a family of 3. Whatever information I have got till now, is in bits and pieces.

I am OK with having a decent school, may not necessarily be high grade school as my child will go to KG in 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut