Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 02:35 PM

242 posts, read 299,147 times

Advertisements

So I'm renting, but am getting discouraged looking for an "affordable" property. What I'm wondering is anyone familiar with any towns that allow tiny houses, or can park an RV or trailer and use it as a home. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 04:14 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
What part of the state are you interested in living? What’s your budget? It is just you? Any particular things you need or want?

There are a number of RV and trailer parks around the state you can consider. You might look into renting a room somewhere or sharing a modest place. Without more information it’s hard to direct you to anywhere specific.

Old 12-16-2023, 05:56 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Southwestern CT, particularly along the Gold Coast, I think is out of the question. I have never seen a trailer park anywhere in the Gold Coast of CT.

In fact, the first time I actually see several trailer parks was in the Orlando, Fl area from the airplane as it was on final to land. If flying from Florida to Westchester County Airport, the airplane goes as faraway as flying over the Bridgeport area. Then it turns to a southwest-ish direction basically following the CT/NY northern border of the panhandle. Then down Stamford (you can see the downtown area very clearly as you fly almost above it.) Then make a U turn over Long Island Sound, fly over Port Chester and before you know it, it landed at Westchester. Of the times I have been on that trajectory, not once did I see from the airplane window anything remotely similar to a trailer park. You would think there would be some near Bridgeport, but it didn't seem like there are any.

There could be some in this area, but if they exist they are hidden.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:37 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
OP, How much can you afford for rent? How much, including utilities?

This is a very expensive state.

I assume you are not able to afford the rent amount you currently pay, based on your post.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:42 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Southwestern CT, particularly along the Gold Coast, I think is out of the question. I have never seen a trailer park anywhere in the Gold Coast of CT.

In fact, the first time I actually see several trailer parks was in the Orlando, Fl area from the airplane as it was on final to land. If flying from Florida to Westchester County Airport, the airplane goes as faraway as flying over the Bridgeport area. Then it turns to a southwest-ish direction basically following the CT/NY northern border of the panhandle. Then down Stamford (you can see the downtown area very clearly as you fly almost above it.) Then make a U turn over Long Island Sound, fly over Port Chester and before you know it, it landed at Westchester. Of the times I have been on that trajectory, not once did I see from the airplane window anything remotely similar to a trailer park. You would think there would be some near Bridgeport, but it didn't seem like there are any.

There could be some in this area, but if they exist they are hidden.
I think google would have been easier than typing all that

https://www.mhvillage.com/parks/ct/fairfield-county

I do expect they are expensive in that area though.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:56 PM

366 posts, read 780,291 times
Some useful information here. Toward the very bottom is a short list of some tiny home communities in CT:

https://www.tinyhouse.com/post/conne...nd-regulations

Old 12-17-2023, 04:01 AM

281 posts, read 345,214 times
I seem recall a trailer park in Westport.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:53 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
There are a lot of trailer parks in CT, if that is what you want.

What do you consider "ultra cheap"? That's the big question.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:19 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Watkins View Post
I seem recall a trailer park in Westport.
It was on Route 1 (the Post Road) and I used to pass it. I don't see it anymore. Maybe they put affordable housing there?

That is what happened.
https://www.westportnow.com/making_m...e_park_history

"Out of sight for most, mobile homes have been part of Westport’s landscape for decades, ..........................But now the WHA plans to revamp Sasco Creek Village, a $10 to $15 million project that would replace the 74-unit mobile home rental park with three-story buildings that would make the area denser and net 96 affordable rental housing units."

Old 12-17-2023, 10:16 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I think google would have been easier than typing all that

https://www.mhvillage.com/parks/ct/fairfield-county

I do expect they are expensive in that area though.
Family friends lived in one of the Shelton parks. It was modest but nice. There are others like Ryder Woods in Milford.

According to the website linked below there are 148 mobile home parks in the state. The OP can checkout the ones near where they want to live.

https://www.mhvillage.com/parks/ct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut