Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:29 PM

14 posts, read 12,276 times

Advertisements

About not going further than westport, Trumbull has got three 9 rated elementary schools - Jane Ryan, Danielle Farm and Booth Hill. Is neighborhood a problem there that families with kids should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetoUS1 View Post
About not going further than westport, Trumbull has got three 9 rated elementary schools - Jane Ryan, Danielle Farm and Booth Hill. Is neighborhood a problem there that families with kids should avoid?
Trumbull has excellent schools. I am not sure what ratings you are looking at but as has been discussed on this forum extensively, they are not necessarily accurate. We have seen known good schools rated lower than known problem schools.

The Town of Trumbull places a very high priority on it’s schools. It has a very tight curriculum and does hold its staff and faculty to be accountable. All Trumbull schools perform well above the state averages on standardized tests. To me that means all of their schools are good. The primary difference has more to do with the socio-Economic background of its students than quality of education. I would concentrate on finding a home that you like more than worrying about which Trumbull school has the better rating in a ranking that is questionable at best. Jay

Old 08-27-2018, 12:07 AM

Thank you. What is the best way to get an understanding of the socio-economic background of a neighborhood or perhaps which areas would be good to look at in Trumbull? Another Q I have is related to the energy source, the city where I live in currently has only electric or natural gas. One of Trumbull house I saw has a fuel tank in the basement, that is a new concept to me. Is it something to avoid?

Old 08-27-2018, 12:11 AM

Also, please name some known good schools in Trumbull. My kid currently studies in a school that is top quality but the rating is a bit lower amongst other good rated schools in the area, so I completely understand what you are saying

Old 08-27-2018, 08:41 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Just hope you are taking the train and not driving from Trumbull. That drive is BRUTAL.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:52 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Thank you. What is the best way to get an understanding of the socio-economic background of a neighborhood or perhaps which areas would be good to look at in Trumbull? Another Q I have is related to the energy source, the city where I live in currently has only electric or natural gas. One of Trumbull house I saw has a fuel tank in the basement, that is a new concept to me. Is it something to avoid?
Pretty much all of Trumbull is good and safe. Trumbull is mostly middle class to upper middle class and kind of nicely uniform in its background. In general though, I would stay north of the Merritt Parkway (Route 15) and west of Main Street. To the south is Bridgeport and though much of the section of the city (the North End) is among its nicest and safest, there is a problem public housing project on the Trumbull border east of Main Street.

I am guessing the home you saw has oil heat. Not all of Trumbull has natural gas so the next most popular is oil heat. Electric heat is insanely expensive here so it is best to avoid it if possible. Natural gas is the least expensive so it is best to find a home with that. I would not necessarily avoid oil heat but if there were two comparable homes I would choose the one with gas heat over oil. Gas is cleaner and cheaper. An oil furnace needs regular cleaning and you must keep your eye on the amount of oil in your tank. Many oil companies will do regular maintenance and do automatic deliveries so it is not a problem, but gas is still easier.

Some newer homes now use propane for heat when natural gas is not available. Like oil heat, the propane must be regularly delivered and it is not as cheap as natural gas for heat. Still it is an alternative to oil. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-27-2018, 09:09 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
The advice to stay near the train line was correct. You can definitely go further than Westport. Milford is 41-45 min express train to Stamford. For instance an Orange resident can take the Milford train, Trumbull can take Bridgeport/Fairfield Metro.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:13 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
I live in Trumbull. I would buy north of the Parkway.

Here are two different school rankings and they look pretty accurate.

Best is 10
https://www.greatschools.org/connect...?gradeLevels=e

9 Rating.....Booth Hill
9 Rating.....Daniels Farm
9 Rating.....Jane Ryan
8 Rating.....Tashua
7 Rating.....Middlebrook
7 Rating.....Frenchtown

Rank out of 519 elementary schools in CT
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CT/c...ll/search.aspx

#8 Daniels Farm School
#28 Jane Ryan
#31 Tashua
#32 Booth Hill
#54 Middlebrook
#77 Frenchtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut