Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:03 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Because 9.8% of the state lives below poverty level and is largely concentrated in a small number of struggling cities and towns. State taxes pay to prop up those people and the places they live. Medicaid. Safety net services. Public schools and services in the failed cities. It creates a huge tax burden on everyone else. It’s not like Connecticut is the only state with the problem, either.

Outside of Fairfield County which is NYC prices, Connecticut isn’t any more expensive than anywhere else in the northeast.
Thats not saying much, considering the Northeast is overall one of the most expensive regions in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetek View Post
when i was making $79000 in CT there were days when I had $1.5 until next paycheck. i lived in a condo and was frugal as hell. this is poverty.
This says more about you and your spending habits than it does about Connecticut. If you think that is poverty, then you really need to venture to other parts of the country. Jay

Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
1. Where the heck are you living in CT? Plenty of attractive people where I live.
2. Taxes are high but not astronomically so. Same as many high tax states. Yes thrrrs room for improvement. Real estate is expensive in parts because there’s demand to
live there.
3. I rest assured there’s no way you’ve visited even 1% of the restaurants in the state in 2 years. Cmon. You’d need to visit a new one every night for the next decade. New Haven alone has well over 100.
4. WTH? There’s plenty of music venues in the state. Again, where are you living? Other than that country bar in Waterbury I wouldn’t even know where to go for country. It’s not big here culturally. College Street Music Hall is one of the best music venues in the northeast and gets many of the same touring artists that hit NYC. Manic Presents has brought a ton of great modern acts to CT. There’s larger venues like Xfinity Theater, XL Center, Palace Theater, Webster Bank Arena, Oakdale, Bushnell, Shubert, Mohegan Sun, Foxwoods, etc. Bridgeport is getting a new performance amphitheater. Medium/small venues like Space Ballroom, Toad’s Place, Webster Theater, FTC, Cafe Nine, Infinity Hall, Firehouse 12, Stella Blues, Klein Auditorium, The Acoustic, Pacific Standard Tavern, I could go on. A wide variety of music can be experienced on any given week.
5. Maybe if you had a better social group you could actually enjoy the state?
6. I go to Bridgeport (Black Rock) and New Haven all the time at night, and have a great time.

Sounds like there’s an issue with you, not the state.
I was thinking the same thing. I do not know where this guy lives but it sound like they do not know what the rest of the country is really like in comparison. They have very high expectations that no part of the country can truly meet. If you are bored here, you really need to give it up and try to broaden your interests. Jay

Old 07-31-2018, 08:18 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetek View Post
i've been CT resident for 4 years already, make $150k now and my opinion about CT never changed - it's a dump.

1. people are ugly. beautiful people don't come to CT, they come to NYC, to LAX. it takes me 1 minute in NYC (and i'm not talking times square on NY eve) to see more beautiful people than I saw in CT in 4 years.

If you want to see a dump visit Indiana, Eastern Ohio, or southern Illinois.

CT is over flowing with attractive women and most of them are fit. Southern California would be one of the few places that has even more.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

CT is over flowing with attractive women and most of them are fit. Southern California would be one of the few places that has even more.
CT is decent with attractive women but not top 5 in country

Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

I remember reading a study that said CT has some of the most attractive women in the country. It has a lot to do with fitness and access to quality healthcare.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM

124 posts, read 145,909 times
I think the video was kind of tongue in cheek, I wouldn't take it too seriously, although he was right about high taxes and the cost of living, which tends to be high all over new england.

Connecticut overall is a great state, it would definitely be in my top 10, possibly top 5.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:19 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I remember reading a study that said CT has some of the most attractive women in the country. It has a lot to do with fitness and access to quality healthcare.
Or the money to afford plastic surgery

Old 09-22-2018, 10:17 AM

124 posts, read 145,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
After a simple google search I found the source for that so called "study" and it came from some obscure dating app called "Clover" which I've never heard of.

The dating app also concluded that men from Connecticut were the 3rd most unattractive in all the 50 states. Dating apps aren't anywhere near scientific or trustworthy enough to make bold claims such as this.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:31 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I watch a lot of YouTube and this guy just posted a video today of the top 10 reasons to not move to CT. I suppose there is some truth to his list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJu5ff49S0

He makes these videos for every single state, so he's not singling out CT.

Just figured I'd share.
Most of the reasons are ridiculous and probably supposed to be humorous. I mean ghosts is a reason not to move to Connecticut?

And I really disagree with the whole "Connecticut is boring" nonsense. What are you like 12 and need to be constantly entertained by Mommy and Daddy at some place like Disney World? Well most of the country is not Disney World and if Connecticut is boring so is 99% of the rest of the country.

However, having said that, reason 6 is true. Taxes. Taxes and the related cost of living are too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut