Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your view
I generally approve 3 8.11%
Neutral 5 13.51%
I disapprove, and I generally vote Democrat 5 13.51%
I disapprove, and often vote both parties 12 32.43%
I usually vote GOP, he's as bad as any Democrat 2 5.41%
I usually vote GOP, he's bad even among Democrats 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 AM

89 posts, read 123,401 times

Advertisements

I agree that Wiecker remains the worst governor CT has seen. Malloy is a close second. Can't believe he was voted in for a 2nd term. It's too bad because CT is(was) such a beautiful state to grow up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:23 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpct View Post
I agree that Wiecker remains the worst governor CT has seen. Malloy is a close second. Can't believe he was voted in for a 2nd term. It's too bad because CT is(was) such a beautiful state to grow up in.
The state need fix transportation issues, failed cities, pensions, spending control, economy could be better

Old 08-02-2018, 09:36 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Malloy is so toxic that he drove any decent Democratic gubernatorial candidate away.

IMO neither party has a decent candidate for Governor. It's going to come down to the lesser of two evils. Which is also IMO why Malloy won a second term. Foley was an incredibly poor choice and the Republicans ran him twice.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The state need fix transportation issues, failed cities, pensions, spending control, economy could be better
Our state needs a miracle worker.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
IMO neither party has a decent candidate for Governor. It's going to come down to the lesser of two evils. Which is also IMO why Malloy won a second term. Foley was an incredibly poor choice and the Republicans ran him twice.
Yeah, how did that happen?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:27 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, how did that happen?
The same reason Trump and Hillary got in. Everyone in the center politically is so disgusted they are dropping out of their previous parties. That leaves the parties made up of the extremes of each party. Instead of having more moderate common sense candidates we are getting the extremes of each party to vote for.

This is a major problem and is why I as an Independent/unaffiliated centrist have decided to vote in all primaries form here on out. There also needs to be funding on all levels (local/state/federal) for Independents/unaffiliated that is equal to the Republican and Democratic parties so this can start to be turned around.

Here is my solution.....all the money donated to campaigns need to be put in one big pot and divided between the candidates (including unaffiliated) that can get XX amount of signatures to run. There also needs to be funding by the government and above all end Citizens United.

You can see from this graph that around 2008/2009 people started to check out of the two parties. That is also when Citizens United started.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parties.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	200646

I now belong to the biggest party.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
The same reason Trump and Hillary got in. Everyone in the center politically is so disgusted they are dropping out of their previous parties. That leaves the parties made up of the extremes of each party. Instead of having more moderate common sense candidates we are getting the extremes of each party to vote for.

This is a major problem and is why I as an Independent/unaffiliated centrist have decided to vote in all primaries form here on out. There also needs to be funding on all levels (local/state/federal) for Independents/unaffiliated that is equal to the Republican and Democratic parties so this can start to be turned around.

Here is my solution.....all the money donated to campaigns need to be put in one big pot and divided between the candidates (including unaffiliated) that can get XX amount of signatures to run. There also needs to be funding by the government and above all end Citizens United.

You can see from this graph that around 2008/2009 people started to check out of the two parties. That is also when Citizens United started.
Attachment 200646

Independents are not allowed to vote in primaries, only the general election. Registered Ds get to vote in the democrat primary. Registered Rs get to vote in the republican primary. Independents don’t get to vote in either.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Why do we even have parties for individuals anymore? You're not required to vote 100% across your party line, so what's the point?

Everyone should be registered to vote, but then just vote for whoever you think is the best candidate for each position. Simple.

(I know, the thought of politics and law being simple are laughable)

Old 08-03-2018, 06:30 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
There needs to be more cooperation in addressing federal issues and its affect on states. Social Security and Medicare as well as federal mandates need more consensus among the states. If an expanded Medicare program was universal among all the states and it had universal requirements for employers and employees a lot of the state's problems would be eased. This would remove the state from the obligation of having to pay private health insurance for retired employees. Similar reforms could be made to improve Social Security allowing the restructuring of pension plans.

Malloy gets a lot of the blame but elected officials on both sides use that as a convenient out and distraction. In many cases neither side will yield to unreasonable demands whether it be golden benefits and perks fo labor or corporations and the ultra wealthy. The people in the middle who make up the majority, but are largely uninvested in the process, join in directing their frustration at the governor. Realistically, the only true power of the governor rests in a veto of slimly-passed legislation.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:54 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Attachment 200646

Foley wasn’t an extreme Republican. Just kind of a lame candidate. Twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut