Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on these two areas

I know one extreme to the other

Just curious which do you think be the better town for someone looking to start and raise a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
I live in Plantsville. Bought a house here in 2011 and have no regrets. Great down and improving each year. We recently had a child and my wife is from Glastonbury and wanted to move back when we had a kid bc of the schools. However after talking with her “moms group” she wants to stay because the school system here is very good (not as good as gbury) but still very good.

Location is great. I can get to any highway in a few minutes. A lot going on as far as social activities. It is very well mixed as far as social classes. That to me is very important. I grew up in a poor city and having a mix of everything is such great exposure.

The price range you are looking for can be found here as well. I bought my house for 170$. Granted on a busy road but the house kiddy corner to me sold for 329k so cant be that bad.

Can’t speak for Seymour but have heard only good things.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:11 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Going to see a property tomorrow. Did a drive by earlier the week. It's in our price range. Not as done over as the one on Seymour but not as old as other houses in our price range.

So hoping it works out.

Commute be slightly longer but I have access to 3 highway routes.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:00 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Both good towns. Southington access is a good thing. They have a nice downtown and conveniences nearby.

I don't agree with them being extremes. Some of the other towns you were looking at were more extremes.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Not really extremes. Both are solid middle class communities. I prefer Seymour for location reasons. It’s close to New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, Danbury. It has access to metro north and is an easy commute to high paying jobs points south. Schools aren’t bad and the home prices are a bargain compared to adjacent Fairfield County towns.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
I believe you need access to New Haven, Bridgeport and Wolcott. For those commutes I would select Seymour over Plantsville. If you did not have to commute to Bridgeport I would say Plantsville though. Both are great communities and you can't go wrong with either. Jay

Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,042,126 times
I like the vibe/amenities of Plantsville better. That said, if you have to keep commuting to BPT and New Haven, go with Seymour.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 AM

710 posts, read 403,293 times
I'm copying a post that I submitted about a month ago with a few tweaks...

I lived in Southington up until about a month or so but moved to be a little closer to work. I miss it dearly and sometimes regret the move. Southington is a great place for families and not awful for singles either. There are plenty of after school programs for kids - especially at the YMCA. They're involved in a lot of activities the town does. I was a member there a couple years back - highly recommend. It's a solid school system also. Not as good as some down in Fairfield County or the Farmington Valley but light years better than nearby school systems such as Bristol, Plymouth & Meriden. There's plenty of shopping, restaurants, bars and activities for people of all ages. Two walkable downtowns - the center of both Southington & Plantsville. It's 20 minutes to Hartford, 12 to Waterbury, 25 to New Haven, and about 50 minutes to Hammonasset Beach. While a little dense there is a fair amount of open space, a walking trail and hiking though Southington does encourage development. There are a couple of developers who would knock down every last tree if given the opportunity. So the town is growing fast. There's upper class residents, middle class and some "lower class" if you will but most of them are seniors on fixed incomes. No town is free from riff raff but it is a safe town overall. There aren't any areas that you should avoid. Law enforcement is ubiquitous and really cares about the safety of its residents. A lot of the arrests in the police blotter have addresses from different towns.

Based on previous posts you've made however, it seems Seymour would best fit your needs. It's just about in the middle of Bridgeport & Wolcott. Route 8 is mostly an easy drive. I don't know too much about Seymour other than when I used to drive through it to get to New Haven. Seemed like a fine, quiet town.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:55 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,671 times
Having lived in Seymour for 14 years I can say Seymour! We moved here to raise a family too. My husband passed in 2011 when my daughter was 5; the community and schools and neighbors and friends here are why we stayed after that tragedy. Schools are excellent, over all scores climbing upward year over year. Seymour highway access & central location in the valley make it basically 20 minutes to anywhere.

If you choose Seymour, welcome! It's a town no one leaves once they live here !

Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,671 times
And just saying .. Seymour beat Oxford overall on the Next Gen SBAC scores -chart shows Seymour Score as well as neighboring towns ; ticking upward overall score every year .. Superintendent presented this data last month..
Attached Thumbnails
Seymour vs Plantsville???-d1fda189-d5bc-44b5-b001-590663e3add2.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut