Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:15 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Interesting, it seems the script has flipped a bit since I was applying to colleges (~6 years ago). These are the only two source I found that mention IS vs OOS acceptance rates at Cal: https://blog.collegevine.com/what-is...-requirements/ & https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristen.../#fdd60d3527bd (scroll to first graphic). Seems like OOS is still more selective on a percent admitted basis (although only marginally). I think this trend of increasing OOS admission rates has to do with covering the lack of funding by increasing revenue through tuition (OOS pay significantly more per capita on tuition)

It would be interesting to see the student profile comparisons for in-state vs out of state admits, as the OOS applicant pool is likely more self selecting for schools like Cal and UCLA (suggesting a more competitive profile for the typical OOS applicant, which may still translate to a higher barrier to entry despite a higher admit rate for OOS at UCLA).
Here is a link to the numbers on the UCLA website - I was wrong on the in-state admit rate -it was 12%, not 6%. About 6% would be about the in-state applicants that enroll at UCLA

Profile of Admitted Freshmen, Fall 2016 - UCLA Undergraduate Admission

For UCLA, last year, they had:
In state applicants: 71,569
out of state: 22,822
international: 19,370

Admitted:
in state: 8,725 (12% admit rate)
out of state: 5,035 (22% admit rate)
international: 2,210 (11% admit rate)

Enrolled:
in state: 4,365
out of state: 1,224
international: 651

A huge drop off for UCLA for out of state and international in terms of yield (admitted students that eventually enroll)

I could not find similar stats for Berkeley dividing up in-state/out-of-state/international
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
IMHO, the New England public schools aren't as "prestigious" as some of the other states but I believe that is due to the overwhelming number of excellent private schools in the area. Outside of New England, the big state U's are where you go as they are often the top school in the state.

And yes, plenty of kids in the Northeast apply to those schools. There is a competition among the 50-99 ranked private schools around the country that want to get those kids from the Northeast. It adds prestige to them if they can convince a kid that could go to Conn College or Trinity to come to St. Olaf or Wheaton IL.
Yes, there are a ton of very good private schools in New England, not even including the Ivies - Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan, Smith, Wellesley, Tufts, BC, BU, Northeastern (a lot tougher to get into than when I was in high school), Trinity, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Bates, Colby and probably more that I'm missing.

If you wanted to visit top schools outside of New England, NY, PA, etc, you might have to do a lot of driving

Old 10-22-2019, 07:07 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
The answer is that it is not more demanding.

Obviously, you have to weigh that against cost, how self-motivated the student is (maybe they'll shine a bit more in that environment), and what particular field they are looking to go into and if there are any faculty or programs that are particularly good in that field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut