Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2020, 11:11 PM

63 posts, read 67,495 times

Advertisements

I looked at a unit there today. What I like about the complex is they are free standing units / condos.

The complex is on leased land which each unit pays a fee for.
don't know if the leased land could be an issue.

Totally within my budget (I can afford more, but I like the units and the proximity to the town of Madison).

I have a friend who lives in Guilford so moving to an area where knowing someone is helpful. I currently live in Fairfield and all my friends have moved away, so has my daughter. I would like to start somewhere new.

I'm retired - hopefully it is easy to meet people there (but COVID isn't helping).

any general comments on the complex and area appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 09:11 AM

4,470 posts, read 3,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmed1 View Post
I looked at a unit there today. What I like about the complex is they are free standing units / condos.

The complex is on leased land which each unit pays a fee for.
don't know if the leased land could be an issue.

Totally within my budget (I can afford more, but I like the units and the proximity to the town of Madison).

I have a friend who lives in Guilford so moving to an area where knowing someone is helpful. I currently live in Fairfield and all my friends have moved away, so has my daughter. I would like to start somewhere new.

I'm retired - hopefully it is easy to meet people there (but COVID isn't helping).

any general comments on the complex and area appreciated.

Thank you.

I live in Trumbull and my husband and I have been looking into the Branford, Guilford and Madison area for condos for retirement. We saw one of those. Those are nice and a GREAT location close to the beaches. If you are a single person or even a couple that does not need a lot of space those are ideal. Those are cute little one floor houses.

I am an artist and musician so I needs lots of space. I will probably get townhouse in Branford where I can have room for my music and art in the basement.

My husband and I have been going up to the area for quite a few years. I think you will be able to make many friends there. We go to the Surf Club beach and we always end up talking to many residents of Madison and they all seem very nice. There also seems to be a lot of seniors who retire to Madison so I think you will be fine.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:03 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,190,182 times
Depends greatly on the land lease. Some of these are for 99 years based on the fact, most nobody lived longer than that.
Are there options on the lease? Is there a buyout provision at the end of lease. Hard to value without this info.

Madison is a great town. Hammonasset is beautiful

Old 11-15-2020, 07:35 PM

854 posts, read 514,124 times
I don't know the complex, but I know the area. Very close to town and the beaches. The only thing you might find, coming from Fairfield, is a limited variety of restaurants and shopping. Don't get me wrong - there are great restaurants, but it's not Fairfield/Westport.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 AM

The association fee is $419 / month plus the land lease fee

Seems a bit high to me considering there is no community house or pool.

I don't spend that much per month to maintain my house in Fairfield.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:27 AM

21,795 posts, read 28,166,701 times
Quote:

That can be ok if it includes heat/hot water.

Though I did have a pretty modest, older condo in Bethel and the association fee was about $450. It just kept creeping up as the complex aged.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:43 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,788,520 times
Quote:

Condos and HOAs have HOA fees. That should be known going in from the start. They might include insurance. If so, your mortgage bank won't escrow for that. Flood insurance also, if applicable.

Some land leases don't have property tax. I know some out west that don't. Check on that

Old 11-16-2020, 08:46 AM

The HOA fees include grounds maintenance, trash pickup , snow removal, property management, road maintenance, insurance.

the place was built in 1974
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut