U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2020, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
32,937 posts, read 52,213,885 times
Reputation: 10503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclisgirl View Post
Goodnight,


Thank you for the response. I've been looking online and reading the many post on here to help me narrow down an area. I remember visiting CT many years ago and liked the feel of it. I currently live in Washington State and will be moving next year to be closer to family. My family lives in NYC but I can't afford living there NOR DO I WANT TO! But at the same time I don't want to have to keep jumping on a plane to see then. So CT seems to be the more affordable option. Thanks again.
I think you first need to determine what part of the state you want to live in and then look for jobs there. After that you can find an apartment.

How far from New York are you willing to go? The closer to New York the pricier it gets but also the more you likely will be paid. I’d stick to locations along the Metro North New Haven Line. There are several cities along it with major medical facilities where you might find a job.

New Haven is a great small city with lots to do and a lot of medical jobs. It’s home to the US News & World Reports Top 20 Hospital, Yale New Haven. It would be a good place to start looking for a job. It has a great downtown with tons of restaurants and entertainment options. New Haven is about 80 miles from New York City and is just under a two hour train ride. Your budget will go further in greater New Haven than locations closer in.

Closer to New York is Bridgeport. It is the state’s largest city. It has two well hospitals so there are nursing jobs. Bridgeport is about 90 minutes from ?New York City. Finding an apartment in your price range will be difficult but not necessarily impossible.

Even closer to New York are Norwalk and Stamford. They are great cities that are about an hour from the city. They both their own hospitals so there will be nursing jobs but they are in the heart of some of the priciest real estate in the country. It will be pretty hard to find an apartment in your budget in ether. That said nurses in this area usually make more so you may be able to up your apartment budget. Good luck with your search. Jay
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2020, 06:37 AM
 
Location: The greatest place on earth
4,898 posts, read 2,233,490 times
Reputation: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclisgirl View Post
Good night everyone,

I'm an African American middle aged woman moving to CT. I'm a nurse and need to live close to medical facilities. I'm trying to find a safe place to rent an apartment before buying a home. Can anyone recommend a safe place? I've been looking at West Haven but alot of the post on here says that West Haven is not a good place to live. I would like to be someplace that is diverse. My budge is $1000. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
West Haven is fine for $1000/month. Anywhere in CT that's 1000per is going to have posts saying it's not a good place to live. Might even be a little low for West Haven. I'm not sure where would be better. I don't see Norwich and Derby being any better. Even parts of Bridgeport are better than those but 1000 might be too low as well. West Havens right on the Sound too, can't top that.

Best of luck, enjoy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2020, 11:31 AM
 
21,135 posts, read 28,942,349 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
West Haven is fine for $1000/month. Anywhere in CT that's 1000per is going to have posts saying it's not a good place to live. Might even be a little low for West Haven. I'm not sure where would be better. I don't see Norwich and Derby being any better. Even parts of Bridgeport are better than those but 1000 might be too low as well. West Havens right on the Sound too, can't top that.

Best of luck, enjoy
The average 1bed apartment in Norwich is just under $900 a month with about $1,000 in Derby for the same, both according to Apartments.com. Only issue with Norwich is access to employment. Derby is pretty central to New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, Danbury and not too bad a ride to places like Meriden and Norwalk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2020, 01:19 PM
 
Location: The greatest place on earth
4,898 posts, read 2,233,490 times
Reputation: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The average 1bed apartment in Norwich is just under $900 a month with about $1,000 in Derby for the same, both according to Apartments.com. Only issue with Norwich is access to employment. Derby is pretty central to New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, Danbury and not too bad a ride to places like Meriden and Norwalk.
I would have to agree. 1000 doesn't get you cream of the crop CT and that's ok because it's still CT. Lots of great hardworking personnel here. Can't go wrong. Hard to pass up. What a State.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2020, 10:54 PM
 
18 posts, read 16,670 times
Reputation: 25
Good evening Jay,

Thank you so much! You are a wealth of information. If things work out the way I hope, I will continue to work form home as I am now. But if they don't, then I will take the first advice you gave, West Haven. There are a lot of medical facilities in and near the area. Yes, I would love to be as close to NYC as I possible can. That's where my family is but I can't afford it. Yes, I can increase my rental budget a bit. But that means not saving as much as I want to buy a house. I hate apartment living. But i can do it for a year. My plan is to wait till 2022 when hopefully the tables will turn and it will be a buyers market and I will be able to afford a 3BR/2BT for around $250 or less. To be honest with you, if I was able to find a house that I really love and can afford, I think I would just buy and not rent. But one step at a time.

Thanks again. The search continues. If you can recommend a decent apartment in West Haven or the surrounding area I would appreciate it. I will be in the area in February and will hopefully narrow down my options.

Have a good night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
32,937 posts, read 52,213,885 times
Reputation: 10503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclisgirl View Post
Good evening Jay,

Thank you so much! You are a wealth of information. If things work out the way I hope, I will continue to work form home as I am now. But if they don't, then I will take the first advice you gave, West Haven. There are a lot of medical facilities in and near the area. Yes, I would love to be as close to NYC as I possible can. That's where my family is but I can't afford it. Yes, I can increase my rental budget a bit. But that means not saving as much as I want to buy a house. I hate apartment living. But i can do it for a year. My plan is to wait till 2022 when hopefully the tables will turn and it will be a buyers market and I will be able to afford a 3BR/2BT for around $250 or less. To be honest with you, if I was able to find a house that I really love and can afford, I think I would just buy and not rent. But one step at a time.

Thanks again. The search continues. If you can recommend a decent apartment in West Haven or the surrounding area I would appreciate it. I will be in the area in February and will hopefully narrow down my options.

Have a good night.
Okay, that makes more sense. Working from home paints a different picture for you. Renting does make the most sense so you can get to know the area better before buying. That said you might want to look at homes to buy in anticipation of the future purchasing.

Your budget kind of limits you. There are not a lot of homes in the $250,000 price range anywhere west of Bridgeport. If you start in Bridgeport and then go further out from New York City as you see fit. You will be able to get a modest home there in a good neighborhood. The house may need some work and the taxes in Bridgeport are high. Plus Bridgeport is a city and has the typical issues you find in large urban areas. Your tolerance of those issues may eliminate it from consideration. Below is a somewhat typical listing there.

The next town out along the coast is Stratford. It is a nice working class town with some great areas to live in your price range. I would caution you that Stratford does abut one of Bridgeport’s worst neighborhoods so you might want to be careful where you buy there. Just avoid the area south of Route 1 near the Bridgeport line. Below is a listing 8n Stratford to consider.

Then 5here is Milford which is a great affordable town, a little further out from ?New York. You can still get a decent modest home there. It offers a lot for anyone. There is a lot of shopping, dining and entertainment options and taxes tend to be lower. I th8nk it might be your best option. Check out the listing below. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...57255527_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...57388380_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...58921609_zpid/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2020, 11:19 PM
 
18 posts, read 16,670 times
Reputation: 25
Good night,


Interesting. I know I'm a year out but I've been collecting a lot of information from here and online. I've started narrowing down my choices. West Haven, Wallingford, (newer homes, less expensive) New Haven(more to do, more diverse) and Milford(close to NYC) are top on my list. You are correct though, my budget of $250 will limit me. I just want to be someplace safe with things to occupy my free time. Looking for a 3/2. The home that I seem to like are more around $300-400. Can't afford that. What I am hoping is that by 2022 the market will turn. I hate to profit from others misfortune. But as you know, they are forecasting that there will be a buyers market due to all of the foreclosures that will happen. I guess I will find out. I hope!


Thank you again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2020, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
18,689 posts, read 9,045,798 times
Reputation: 9369
West Haven or Hampden
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2020, 11:02 AM
 
Location: The greatest place on earth
4,898 posts, read 2,233,490 times
Reputation: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclisgirl View Post
Good night,


Interesting. I know I'm a year out but I've been collecting a lot of information from here and online. I've started narrowing down my choices. West Haven, Wallingford, (newer homes, less expensive) New Haven(more to do, more diverse) and Milford(close to NYC) are top on my list. You are correct though, my budget of $250 will limit me. I just want to be someplace safe with things to occupy my free time. Looking for a 3/2. The home that I seem to like are more around $300-400. Can't afford that. What I am hoping is that by 2022 the market will turn. I hate to profit from others misfortune. But as you know, they are forecasting that there will be a buyers market due to all of the foreclosures that will happen. I guess I will find out. I hope!


Thank you again.
2022 might be too soon for a drastic drop but who knows. You're on the right track with wonderful choices. They're neverending here. With a welcoming populace, great food, a top public education for those who want it, very low crime, nature, location, CT can't be topped. You're going to love it. I promise.

Enjoy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2020, 11:57 AM
 
21,135 posts, read 28,942,349 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
West Haven or Hampden
Don’t mean to split hairs, but for reliability purposes, it’s Hamden.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top