Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Jeeze guys. Tongue-in-cheek!
Right, it pokes harmless fun and there's a version for every state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That map it was based on is like 70% accurate. Orange and Woodbridge and parts of Milford are not “working class”. Bethel is not like Danbury. Etc.

Obviously it’s hyperbole and sarcasm since it’s a roast video, but the sound doesn’t smell weird and the water in Madison is quite clean.
It's a You tube channel that roasts every state, no one has time to color code every town with 100% accuracy.

There's no better smell in the world than pulling out of a CT harbor ready to enjoy another glorious day out on the Sound fishing, sailing, island hopping, or just anchoring up and relaxing.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:09 PM

512 posts, read 442,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Jeeze guys. Tongue-in-cheek!
Yes, exactly. He intentionally stereotypes things to make his videos funny. Did I hear him correctly; did he refer to Bridgeport as Bridgepoor? Haha! I think it’s a fun way to give an overview for those who are thinking about moving to the state. It’s one of his most popular videos, I’m wondering if so many individuals are looking to move to CT.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
It’s one of his most popular videos, I’m wondering if so many individuals are looking to move to CT.
Is it? I'm not surprised.
Yes, thousands want to move to CT. Daily. That much is obvious the last few months.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:22 PM

512 posts, read 442,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Is it? I'm not surprised.
Yes, thousands want to move to CT. Daily. That much is obvious the last few months.
Except the single guy/OP. Haha! But he’ll probably move to CT eventually.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:12 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
I love the video and it's very accurate in terms of generalities. The details were off here and there. The narration lumped East Haven with the Middlesex group, which I would not do, qualitatively (and actual county lines also being way off). The first two pictures he showed for New London County were of Guilford. The whole "devoid of culture" myth is just a symptom of people mistakenly equating urban vibrancy with culture. Horse farms, for instance, have their own culture, both locally and in the broader context of equestrian interests. Plenty of other things than concert halls and art museums to call culture, and those urban attractions are pretty well substituted by a library or the internet these days. And why be in New York when you can drive to both New York and Boston?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Except the single guy/OP. Haha! But he’ll probably move to CT eventually.
Singles are moving in to all the new hi-rise complexes in Stamford, Westport, Norwalk Fairfield hand over fist.
They're piling in left and right. Can't stop em'.
The "singles only move to NYC then move to CT when married" thing is dated.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 8,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
OP
There is some very serious mis-information posted here. It's irresponsible and misleading. As a former resident out west, Studio City and more, it is not possible to walk through Skid Row and Nickerson Gardens (among others) and feel more safe than New Haven. That is physically and mentally impossible. Seedy Hollywood is about as bad as it gets in CT for the everyday person who's not in the street crime business.
The anti-CT small city crusaders here might disagree but I'll put Stamford, New Haven, Fairfield, Norwalk, Milford up against anything in the country in the 50K+ pop class. Everyday, all day. IN-THE-COUNTRY! For singles and families!

Stalk my posts here. Click on "find all posts by". I could go on ALL-DAY on how great it is here. CT isn't perfect. I95 between NH and Stamford is dated and slow at rush hour. That's nothing new for an LA resident. Prop taxes are high relative to home values. That's about it. The pros far outweigh. No tents, no human #2s on sidewalks, low crime, top public education, bread and butter wealthy and affordable burbs. Can't argue with 10K+ NYers moving in by the day.

This isn't hyperbole!
I lived on the Upper West Side of NYC from 1988-94. Then I moved to Studio City, CA later Van Nuys, both districts of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley.

I'm ready to get out of here. Connecticut is where I am looking. I have traveled on the train from Boston to NYC many times, and every time I pass the beach towns I see from the train I fantasize about living there.

In my area, the average house sells for nearly a million. I own a ranch house I bought with my partner for 200K in the year 2000...they say it could sell for 900K. We have fixed it up nicely. Most people say its lovely.

Yet, around us, everywhere, there is high crime, homelessness, filth, disorder, crime, blight, billboards, prostitutes, murders, illegality of every type, small to large. There is a property where someone hoards hundreds of inoperable vehicles, and the city has been fighting him for years, sending him to jail, yet nothing happens.

In the month leading up to July 4th, there were nightly explosions, pipe bombs, fireworks, all set off illegally. On the night of July 4th so many illegal fireworks were exploded that the next day the area had the dirtiest air in the world.

Last summer, during the pandemic, the temperature on some days was 105-115. And the homeless who live in the parks set them ablaze. Imagine being home, trapped inside, while the country is rioting, Trump is railing on Twitter, and the derelicts ("unhoused.") were burning down the parks. We watched the looters on TV, disbelieving what we saw. Then we watched the Capital stormed by the other sides' crazies on 1/6/21 and again thought, "is this real?"

This summer the days are still hot, of course, as we live in a time of rising temperatures. But the absolute incompetence of Los Angeles's leaders is appalling, obscene, disgusting.

If any place in CT, equals the City of Angels in misery, please let me know.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:58 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
^Well the North End of Hartford and much of Bridgeport have elements like that, but it's not difficult to avoid those places.

West Hartford (just a couple miles from the ghetto) is rather posh, especially the Golf Club district. I think there's a nice part of Bridgeport, too.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:06 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcobed View Post
If any place in CT, equals the City of Angels in misery, please let me know.
CT is nothing like LA. LA has some qualities CT doesn't have (weather, scale of a big city), but CT lacks a lot of the problems LA has.

There are certainly bad pockets of crime, homelessness, etc. in our cities. Though the homelessness is NOTHING like LA, having spent a lot of time there.

The thing about CT, though, is those areas are very small and as someone that moves to a nice beach town here, you really don't have to experience.

Let's say you visit New Haven. The places you visit are pretty nice. Downtown, East Rock, Wooster Square, Westville. Yes you may encounter a couple panhandlers in downtown, and in select spots in downtown there's some questionable types hanging out. But it's pretty isolated and it's never ruined my time going out in that city.

The worst neighborhoods you have little reason to visit. There are exceptions, such as there are some great ethnic restaurants in Fair Haven, and you'd be fine there on the main drag if you're street smart.

It's almost like if you lived in the wealthy areas of LA where those issues are more isolated. The difference being, those areas will cost you many millions to live in, where it's much more affordable here to have a high quality of life and most of the state can be explored without issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut