Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM

29 posts, read 95,282 times

Advertisements

OK - you don't have to be an expert. . . just know a little something here and there.

I have found a very knowledgeable person to tell me all about East Hampton and am hoping to find an equally helpful Hebron insider. Anyone who lives or has lived in this town could really help me out by offering whatever insight they have!

We are a young family leaving RI for a new start in CT. Tell us all about the schools, the people, the town politics, things to do, outdoor activities - whatever you can share!

Your input will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I am not an expert on Hebron but do know a little about the town. The schools are very good and the town is pretty quite. There is some shopping in town but for major needs you will have to travel. There are programs for kids for things like baseball and football. Also Hebron has the wonderful Airline Trail which is a great "rails-to-trail" that runs for several miles throughout the area. Great for walking and biking. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
There is a grocery store in town (called Ted's, it's an IGA). There are a few random businesses near the grocery store on Rt 66 (liquor store, pharmacy, a couple restaurants). For fine(r) dining or better grocery options you will need to travel. Other than that it is mostly residential in town, not a ton of retail options, but if you wanted that you wouldn't be looking in Hebron!

The Airline Trail is a flat gravelly trail that many people ride bikes on or cross country ski in the winter. Gay City State Park has many hiking trails and a lake you can swim in during the summer (you need a CT state parks pass on weekends during the summer or pay each time you go, a season pass is reasonably priced).

There is an annual maple festival at the Lions Fairgrounds in March, and the annual Hebron Harvest Fair, which is big with carnival rides, tons of food, crafters, etc.

Not that you asked my opinion, but I'll give it to you anyway I think Hebron is a much better option over East Hampton, from schools to the aesthetics of the town.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Not that you asked my opinion, but I'll give it to you anyway I think Hebron is a much better option over East Hampton, from schools to the aesthetics of the town.
I agree too. But that is JMHO. Jay

Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
You may want to look into Columbia as well. Columbia lake is awesome, houses are not cheap but the schools are good (through 8th grade in town). Kids would have to go to Lyman High school in Lebanon or Windham High school in Willimantic. Windham high is more urban type high school but offers better programs for AP students and athletics.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:27 PM

29 posts, read 95,282 times
Default All info appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Gay City State Park has many hiking trails and a lake you can swim in during the summer (you need a CT state parks pass on weekends during the summer or pay each time you go, a season pass is reasonably priced).

There is an annual maple festival at the Lions Fairgrounds in March, and the annual Hebron Harvest Fair, which is big with carnival rides, tons of food, crafters, etc.

I did not know that Gay City park had a lake! Thanks! And I am open to all opinions! I would also appreciate a little background or just additional info on the people there, especially how open they are to newcomers. We've taken a drive through and have been looking at houses, but haven't really talked to anyone. Maybe I'll just start knocking on doors.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:24 AM

Hebron was a very small farming commmunity for many years. In the last 20 years or so it has been discovered as a rural suburb and many new homes have been/are being built there. Because of that there are a lot of "newcomers" similar to what you will be if you move there. I think that you will not have a problem. Jay

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 PM

21 posts, read 86,335 times
Look into Colchester, the town below Hebron! The town has some of the best schools in the region and the center of town is simply beautiful! Has all the things a normal suburban town has, yet drive just five minutes outside of the town center and you will find nothing but farmland and forest. Check out Salmon River State Forest, or Day Pond State Park which are both located in the town! Beautiful family oriented town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut