Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 33,414 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm 25, have been in CT my entire life, and am looking to stay. I currently rent in Danbury, and am looking to purchase my first home by 4QTR 08. At first my target area was South Norwalk, as it is a fun area to live, with a decent commute to NYC were I frequently visit friends and is not a bad commute to the airports (I travel 50% of the year for work). It is not a bad commute to my office either which is in Trumbull. I have been looking for a while now, and it is really difficult to find a nice 2bdrm, 1.5+ bath for around 275 - 300k. I started looking for listings if Fairfield, but the prices are even higher, and then a friend told me about a lot of new development in the Blackrock area of Bridgeport. I started looking for listings there and there seem to be many new 2bdrm, 2 bath condos in my price range < 300k, but I really have no idea about the area, and really had never heard of it. On a map it looks like its so close to Fairfield, and right on the coast, so it sounds like the perfect place for me. Is it? Can anyone tell me more about the area, and why I should, or shouldn't consider it?

Also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,149 times
Black Rock is a mixed bag. It is certainly one of the better neighborhoods in Bridgeport, but it has a few dicey blocks. The best parts of the neighborhood are generally found south of Fairfield Avenue and west of Brewster Street.

You may be aware of the new Metro North station planned for eastern Fairfield off Black Rock Turnpike. When open, this station will serve Black Rock and give residents much better access to the commuter railroad.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
I looked for investment homes about a year ago in Black Rock, and it is one of a handful of neighborhoods in Bridgeport that are the best in Bridgeport. I happen to really like Black Rock, and as long as you stay below Ellsworth Street, you'll be fine. Above Ellsworth, it gets pretty sketchy. Most of Bridgeport is full of transitioning or bad neighborhoods. Black Rock, Brooklawn, the North End, and Treeland are the best in the city. The rest are pretty rough overall.
Bridgeport has super high taxes on real estate--that's the biggest downside. Black Rock, though, has a ton of potential, since a new Metro North station is planned/under construction there within the next 2-3 years. A good area to invest in, I think.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. The area that has my eye, is definetly south of Elsworth, closer to where Fairfield Ave becomes the Post Rd. I am aware of the MTA station, and that is a big reason for my consideration of purchasing in Blackrock. But would this area be worth spending 300K for a nice 2bdrm, 2 bath condo in a gated community? Should I wait to see if prices come down in SONO, or would Blackrock be a good alternative for less cost?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:40 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Hm. I don't think I would spend that amount, personally, on a condo in Blackrock. If you love the space and love the neighborhood, then maybe. But, for me, that seems pricey for this current "buyer's market," and for that neighborhood. You can buy a whole 2 family house in Black Rock around Scofield and Ellsworth for $275-$300k, and prices are dropping.
I would wait, if you can, and look in Sono for a better price. Wait til late 2008, and then revisit this condo unit. If it's still available, I bet the sellers will be negotiable and/or the price will have dropped.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:09 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,342 times
Blackrock is definitely a good, less costly contender to SONO but since your time frame is 4Q08, you should check which one is the best value for your money then.

The negatives of Blackrock are the very different quality neighborhoods around, high taxes and bad schools. The positive is that is and up and coming area which should increase in value. BlackRock not only will eventually (still years away) have its own train station, but has public transportation near to reach the current station in Fairfield.

SONO has the same school problems as BR and has gone up in price too much in recent years. But it is closer to NYC and that is a plus.

Are you set on buying something new? You seem to believe that Fairfield is out of reach, but right now there are many townhomes for sale starting at 269K for the smallest at Sunnyridge condos, if you are OK with buying something older. It is not a gated community but crime in Fairfield is very low so it does not matter much. Fairfield, however, makes most sense if you have a family, might be too boring for a mid 20s w/o children.

Best luck,

Old 05-22-2008, 03:55 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambar371 View Post
Are you set on buying something new? You seem to believe that Fairfield is out of reach, but right now there are many townhomes for sale starting at 269K for the smallest at Sunnyridge condos, if you are OK with buying something older. It is not a gated community but crime in Fairfield is very low so it does not matter much. Fairfield, however, makes most sense if you have a family, might be too boring for a mid 20s w/o children.

Best luck,
Good points. The same points also apply to Stratford, however, you're search at that price range will yield more choices in Stratford and your office commute would be a snap.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Good points. The same points also apply to Stratford, however, you're search at that price range will yield more choices in Stratford and your office commute would be a snap.
Good suggestion, Jay

Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambar371 View Post

Best luck,
Not set on something new or in a gated community, its just that a lot of what I see in BR is new and gated. I would like something at least updated if old so I won't have to spend a lot on upgrading... but if the price is right, who knows.

I would like an area at least accesible to the less boring cities, and Fairfield is definetly that. SONO is definetly my first option for location, but if I can find something even closer to work, and a better price, which BR seems to be, then that would be great.

I have been renting month to month for the last year and can get out when I want so even if I have to wait until 1st qtr 09, I am really not in a hurry if prices keep coming down. From all the responses, it seems that BR is at the very least something I could consider and therefore start taking a closer look at.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I will take a look at Stratford. its a little farther from NYC then I would like, but it might be worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut